All About China > Understanding Chinese Women

Chinese cooking in the new Western World

(1/3) > >>

JohnB:
A funny thing happened on the way to the oven--

I thought I would surprise Jing on Thanksgiving. Cook the bird. This was not to be.
We bought a small fresh turkey this past Sunday. I am a good cook (I think, she doesn't), especially fowl. Anyway, I got home Tuesday and Jing had cooked the bird....her way!
The thing looked pitiful. Jing had removed part of the breast meat, stir fry for later use. The bird was splayed out in a large skillet of all things, in the upper rack of the oven, looking like a rag doll left out in the rain. Mind you, Jing had mentioned she has never seen an oven much less used one. New experiences can be surprisingly brutal. Still, it was edible, not too bad with Jing's homemade gravy. I do not know what she used for the gravy, it was not turkey stock.

Last night I took out a couple of frozen (in water) pork chops I cut up from a pork roast we bought at Costco.
It may be an interesting day this Thanksgiving Day.

Jing has developed a taste for cheese, but it is most unfortunate that she places little distinction on the use of the different variety of cheeses. Her favorite seems to be mozzarella.
I do not think it mentioned before, Chinese cooking in their new Western World. I am beginning to realize the kitchen is the wife's domain. Husband enters at own peril.

Arnold:
Funny story John for sure! :o

I had just last week had s similar account, but it was a Costco Pineapple in this case. "Too much trouble" I was told when buying it. I didn't care and replied... it's really no trouble at all. At home getting ready to clean and cut it up into bite size chunks, I was ask if I'm also going to put it into "Salt" first for a few days and then add some "Sugar" to it before eating it?  :o :-\ what the F*** I thought to myself! I cut off the the skin,the top and brought on the "Slicer gadget" which cuts nice triangular shapes and around the core. So here we have "fresh" pineapple ready to eat (our way) and both of them were hesitant to eat some. Well, more for me... I was thinking! After insisting they try it... it was loved by both. I would never do that (what they had in mind) to a nice fruit of any kind. Ahhh... nothing like a good Laugh afterwards.

john1964:
im lucky as my wife enjoys my cooking, I cook maybe 2-3 times a week, I still love Chinese food, even-though it is dissected in to the smallest pieces, I myself like to sink my teeth in to a nice thick steak.. 

Smaug:
Great thread. I can't wait to experience this with my lady.

Watching her effortlessly cook many many dishes from memory... I miss it. Even if everything is fried at 600* in peanut oil, hehehe.

I hope she likes variety when she comes here.

Willy The Londoner:

--- Quote from: Smaug on January 24, 2013, 05:04:24 pm ---Great thread. I can't wait to experience this with my lady.

Watching her effortlessly cook many many dishes from memory... I miss it. Even if everything is fried at 600* in peanut oil, hehehe.

I hope she likes variety when she comes here.

--- End quote ---
I have no idea how others wives get on with cooking when they are living in foreign countries.
 Living in China my wife cooks only Chinese food but often cooks Chinese food in what she thinks is an English style!  But she when she does that she cooks two lots of food one for me and one for her.

On the two occasions we have been to UK on visits we have major problems in finding food suitable for her as even Chinese resturaunts are cooking things for a western palate and not typical Chinese food.  She us guaranteed to lose a couple of pounds each trip which at 93lbs is something she can do without.

Do others have wives that soon fall into Western cooking or do they often make separate food for them selves as well as a meal for you?

Willy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version