Author Topic: China Alerts.  (Read 13251 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: China Alerts.
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 09:35:48 pm »
Yes I remember that. I had a friend there at that time.  All the sewage was coming up into the streets with all that implies.   
At one point he had to swim across the street. Well actually he was not really swimming he was just going through the 'motions'! ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 10:31:44 pm »
Maybe this is the right place for this under 'China Alerts'.

Willy has a Chinese drivers license! 

The good news, some may say, is that he can only use it until the end of  2013. Which is just about 7 months away.

I did the business by going to the local hospital to get a check up and received the health certificate.  Having my existing drivers license translated into Chinese, including my name.  Then with a friend, as translator, we went to the local driving establishment where he, rather than I, scored 98 out of 100 questions on the new illustrated theory test. 

Then off to the Traffic dept of the PSB with new photo and forms completed. I have just collected  the Drivers license. Problem is it is only valid until my current UK Drivers license ends then it will need to be renewed. ONLY it cannot be.

To renew the Chinese license at that time I have to be under 70 years of age or have a license valid for more than 3 years. I will not be and my new UK drivers license will only be for 2 years a time from now on.

Still the bright side is that my wife has only to resit the new theory test to qualify for her own license and in test sittings this week she has made the above 90% mark on 15 of the 16 occasions she has completed it. So I no fear that, tomorrow, she will sail through the actual test and that she will be driving our new car very soon after.

At least when I go back on trips to the UK Avis will let me keep hiring cars until whatever age I can convince the authorities that I am safe to drive there.

So my driving here will be short lived, expensive, but interesting to say the least.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 10:46:55 pm »
Here you go Willy, this thing is built like a Sherman Tank and is banned from about 90% of the Demolition Derby tracks in the USA. You should remain pretty safe in this anywhere in the world!

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 02:05:16 am »
Willy, Are you over 70 now? Is there any chance you can run back to the UK and get a new license that is valid for 3 or more years? Then return to China and get a new license ? In a different location?  I don't know but it seems there is always a way around barriers in China if you know what to do and who to talk to?  Hell, get a new birth certificate that says your 45.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

• Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 05:50:53 am »
My first drivers license was valid for 51 years and it expired at 70.  From then on they only issue them for two years a time.

But no worries it means that I can always go out and drink but not drive.   Most people think that I was a little mad to move here. They would think that I was an absolute loon to want to drive here.  But what is the difference driving here than in New York or centre of London, Paris or Rome or the worst place ever I have driven and that is Lagos, Nigeria.

Then again probably the few months that I can drive here  will convince me that the authorities are probably doing the correct thing. ;D 

However going round the back streets and keeping off the mains will suit me for the odd occasions when I go it alone. That and a baseball cap and dark glasses and of course a jacket buttoned up to the neck.   And probably a handful of RMB's in one hand. 8)

Maybe I will go to Australia soon and have a drive there then I can say that I have driven on every continent.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 09:53:41 am »
Willy , you and your lovely wife are always welcome to visit Melbourne and learn to drive like our Indian taxi drivers do ha ha , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

• Board Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 12:36:48 am »
Willy , you and your lovely wife are always welcome to visit Melbourne and learn to drive like our Indian taxi drivers do ha ha , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Actually I was thinking seriously of a trip down under.  Cathay Pacific are doing some really good prices.
Do not tell David E though but Perth is a real bargain from Hong Kong and I may just turn up on his doorstep ::)

But being really serious now. I now have a inhouse chauffeur who today passed her test and cannot wait to collect her driver license tomorrow.
She score 97 out of 100 on her theory test today on traffic laws do's and dont's. I really hope will remember what she learned but on reflection I have no doubt that she will be a perfect Chinese driver and totally ignore or flout the traffic laws!

Really glad I kept an airline snooze mask as I feel that I will be using it a lot when my license runs out. ;D There again if I wear it when driving then I would be a perfect Chinese motorist.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 12:40:08 am »
Careful Willy! A trip down under might in interpreted as 6 feet down under!

• Board Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 01:03:19 am »
It could also refer to one of my favourite pastimes. ;D

Down under or Up on high I have a distinct feeling that when that happens I will be neither aware or care. Unless of course we are going back to my first line. ;D

In which case I always treat it like the last time ever. Because one day I will be right.  ;)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 01:38:04 am »
Well now that you've been given a driver's license, perhaps a submarine Captains command is next?

Dive, dive, dive! ))))))))))))))

Offline brett

• Man Goes to China
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:31 am »
Gone a whole week here without seeing a car accident  :o.

Rode up front on the 803 bus into Guangzhou station today, as usual the mean streets of Sanyuanli were full of drivers performing U turns and cyclists pulling out and crossing 4 lanes of traffic while holding an umbrella or talking on their mobile phones.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »
Do not tell David E though but Perth is a real bargain from Hong Kong and I may just turn up on his doorstep ::)

Willy

Have  guest room ready, beer in the 'fridge, wine in the cellar, BBQ ready to go....bring it on Willy !!!!!

Offline brett

• Man Goes to China
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 11:19:59 am »
Well there was no warning of tonight's 大暴雨!!!

For the second time my shoes have been destroyed by mother nature.

The river here has risen 3 feet in less than an hour.

ALWAYS be prepared for rain in Southern China!!!

• Board Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »

The river here has risen 3 feet in less than an hour.

ALWAYS be prepared for rain in Southern China!!!
Not just China. Many countries in Europe are on a major flood alert.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:30 am »
I dont know if you can see this blog without a qq account but visit if you can.

Warning, It will make you sick. I will forgo the commentary. Form you own opinions.

http://user.qzone.qq.com/1783063742/blog/1399387588
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE