Author Topic: I think I need help!  (Read 6778 times)

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
Re: I think I need help!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 06:15:24 pm »
I had you figured for an Aston Martin Man Willy...dont spoil the image and buy some cheap rubbish  !!!!!!

Offline shaun

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »
David, you calling American cars cheap rubbish?   >:(

Dem's fighting words!!!!!

Another jingle;  You can trust your car to the man who wears the star...

Anyone but an older American, can you tell me what oil company that jingle is from?

And yes Vince that means you can't answer.  I know you already know it.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »
Easy one. I heard that jingle all my childhood years.

T---CO

Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 09:20:05 pm »
Maybe I should have said anyone under the age of 40.

Vince G

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 11:21:39 pm »
Hell I could tell you even what TV show it sponsored.

Vince G

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 07:58:55 am »
  Who was the long time spokesman for this company?

I'll answer that with just initials BH & his club.

Offline shaun

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 10:21:30 am »
I saw a Bob tail cat yesterday.  I Hope it didn't see me.  ;D

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 05:46:12 pm »
David, you calling American cars cheap rubbish?   >:(

Dem's fighting words!!!!!

I once (quite recently) had the "pleasure" of owning a Jeep ...it was the top of the range Overlander and was brand new........

I have also owned many, many different breeds of cars from BMW M3 to real old Fords and the like.

This Jeep was a nightmare, in 10 months had 11 recalls for safety related Factory fixes, had 4 "unsheduled" roadside breakdowns and lots of pieces simply fell off...both outside and inside.

So from my (limited) experience, yes, it was rubbish...but it was not cheap !!!

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 05:58:02 pm »
Wow, David... your experience is completely different from mine.  I have 3 cars, my oldest is my Jeep.  It was born in 1993.  It still runs great and I still drive it all the time.  It has over 300,000 miles on it.  Also have a Mustang and Fusion Hybrid SE.  I use the Hybrid for long trips, the Mustang for fun, and the Jeep is still my regular, around the town, vehicle.  I love my Jeep.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Vince G

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 06:11:25 pm »
Ford man here, been for decades. Had GM's always some problem from engine head cracks to rear axel snapping at 35 mph. Had a Jeep Laredo 89 I think it was (new) on a wet parkway (freeway, whatever) turn in 4 wheel drive it slid out at 50 mph stopping at a guardrail with a 30 foot drop. Sold a week later. Mazda was good, lasted 8 years.

Offline shaun

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 07:08:57 pm »
I have a Ford, a Chevy and a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle.  The Chevy is on blocks while I rebuild the exhaust.  The Ford Exploder I just discovered has a blown head gasket.  Well after all it has 160,000 miles on it.  The VW needs a ground up restoration.

Best auto I ever had was a 1991 Mercury Marquis Wagon.  After we got the dealership drunk out from under the hood it was a great car.  Bought it new and put 250,000 miles on it.  Nothing broke.  I had 2 Ford Windstars.  They were junk.  I owned a 1972 Porsche 928.  It was always in the shop and rode like a tank.

But my favorites were always my VW's.  Had a 1961 Karman Ghia that I rolled down a portion of Pike's Peak and kept on going.  8)

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 09:02:01 pm »
My dad had bought a used Chevy Corvair from Hertz... I think in 1960-1962. Ralph Nader had published his Corvair book "Unsafe at any speed? The front would raise up at 65 mph and start dancing. My pop was an engineer at Boeing and had just the right solution! Two cinder-block bricks in the front end trunk! Everyone thought he was nuts! He drove that car well over 350k with just a timing belt and oil changes for 10 more years

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »
Wow, David... your experience is completely different from mine.  I have 3 cars, my oldest is my Jeep.  It was born in 1993.  It still runs great and I still drive it all the time.  It has over 300,000 miles on it.  Also have a Mustang and Fusion Hybrid SE.  I use the Hybrid for long trips, the Mustang for fun, and the Jeep is still my regular, around the town, vehicle.  I love my Jeep.

But yours was an OLD JEEP. 20 years old. But now you can see why the American economy is failing! 

They can no longer make a Jeep that is reliable.  Gone are the days when Bob Mitchum would ride up as a passenger in one, cigar in mouth reviewing his troops and it never lets him down.

Willy

PS
Maybe we should not be revealing that you all have never old cars that need a lot of maintenance.  Any Chinese women reading this will think all foreigners are as poor as church mice.
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 11:40:22 pm »
"would ride up as a passenger in one, cigar in mouth reviewing his troops"

Different Jeep company those were Willys jeep.  ;D  Chrysler bought out Jeep... well actually Chrysler bought American Motors (Rambler) that took over the Jeep production. American Motors was combined by (I think) 3 car manufacturers.  Nash, Hudson and I think Packard? Desoto? well one of those from just before my time.

btw my Ford is almost entirely (mechanical) a Volvo.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 03:07:30 am »
Zoot  et al

I dont doubt that the original Jeep that won WW II singlehanded (along with John Wayne) was a very fine piece of mechanical equipment...and I know there are many still going strong out threr.

But I am talking about a brand new, 2008 model Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overlander, which cost AUD $74,000 back then !!! It was definately a piece of junk. Got rid of it and incurred a huge loss after 14 months...never again !!

I went back to my first love which is BMW, of which I have owned 16 in the past 28 years.

I just bought my dear wife a beautiful 330CI convertible, which was a useful opportunity to upgrade my own car to a 330 Diesel Coupe...wow, that car has got some grunt !!!!