Author Topic: New Rules on UK Widows Pensions  (Read 5889 times)

Offline shaun

Re: New Rules on UK Widows Pensions
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 04:17:50 am »
I don't know if she is behind or not.  I will find out though.   I will also call the SS administration and find out more.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 06:32:51 am »
Shaun,
   As long as your ex does not remarry before she reaches 60 years old she can receive benefits based upon your work records. If she remarries before 60 she does not, unless she is caring for your natural child under the age of 16. Even if she did qualify it does not affect Peggy's survivors benefits.

Offline shaun

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 11:50:37 am »
Dang Robert.  She's got a year and a half.  To the best of my knowledge there isn't anyone in the wings.

Is there a book called match making for your ex?   :-\

Offline shaun

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 12:09:45 pm »
Willy,

I'm not sure if I really understand what is going on with my wife's retirement.  If I understand it correctly she never invested into it.  I was assuming that it was something new that she had gained access to.

She went back to previous employers to document the time she had worked in various companies.  Now she is trying to catch up the times she was either self employed or un-employed.  The amount of money is pretty steep by what I am seeing.

Shaun

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 02:53:26 am »
Willy,

I'm not sure if I really understand what is going on with my wife's retirement.  If I understand it correctly she never invested into it.  I was assuming that it was something new that she had gained access to.

She went back to previous employers to document the time she had worked in various companies.  Now she is trying to catch up the times she was either self employed or un-employed.  The amount of money is pretty steep by what I am seeing.

Shaun

As I see it then there may not be any point in chasing it.  I understand that as soon as she gets a green card she loses her entitlement to any Chinese State Pension.  That's the way I always understood it.  Or are you refering to a private pensions that seem to pay a low rate, Western Style, for a lot of money.

What you quoted earlier seems to me quite a high sum. We buy blocks of ten year payments at 5,000 a year (Total cost 50,000 rmb) and just one of these will give the average woman a 'get by' lifestyle when in old age.

Mind you buying property so she can rent it out could be a better prospect as if she gets in need of a larger sum in later life she can always sell one.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 10:24:43 am »
Willy,
you are right. when she leaves China and gets the green card she forfeits her SS.

Fiona went and checked and that is what she was told. So Fiona gave up any rights to her pension and forfeits all the money she has paid into it over the years.
Her only benefits will be those she earns here in the USA by working and paying into the SS system. Or if I last 8 more years she is entitled to mine.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 01:46:38 pm »
As long as the Chinese national does not obtain citizenship in another country and keeps paying into the Chinese system they can draw the pension when they retire. The main kicker is that China DOES NOT recognize dual citizenship, so obtaining citizenship elsewhere will give the Chinese a reason to withdraw your Chinese passport and all associated benefits available only to Chinese citizens. The best method is to allow the Chinese spouse to retain her name and not apply for citizenship elsewhere. This will allow her to always retreat back to China in the event of divorce or your demise and still have all the benefits of the Chinese citizen. She will need to maintain a bank account in China where her pension funds can be deposited, she can use them when she visits or make sure her bank has ties with PayPal and she can transfer the money elsewhere. There is not a lot of added benefits to gaining citizenship here aside from voting, because many federal assistance programs are available to legal permanent residents after 5 years of continued residence state-side.