Author Topic: Guangzhou  (Read 11818 times)

Offline fivetrout

Re: Guangzhou
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 03:24:47 pm »
And there's nothing like driving that porcelain bus after a night of too much drinkin!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 10:30:16 pm »
There are many ways to deal with the squats.  These are often an eye opener for casual visitors because sometimes even the best of homes can have them. An 'eye opener' they may be but usually they are not 'nose closers' although most  westerners think of them as so.

You can go to the nearest department store and invest about £16 or $20 in a portable seat system.  Only thing in it is set chair height up from the squat and 'accidents' can happen.

However I found the easier solution was to have a stool in the bathroom. A plastic stool that is. Cost about 15 rmb.  These come in two sizes, short and chair height.
Use one of the higher ones and place it in front of  the squat.   Remove all loose objects from your pants as wet money is a job to use in shops, better still remove the pants altogether. Stand astride the squattie.  Lower ones body as get it as close to the squattie as possible using the plastic seat in front of you as support.
If more support is needed you can place your chest on the top of the seat.  This way if you have drunk too much then you have less height to full from and in fact you will find that quite a comfortable sleeping place as it is a sort of upright feotal position

Then let nature and gravity and too much spices take its course.    Scottish Rob shouts this out whenever he goes in one ' Welcome to Squatland.'

But he should try to resist singing  'You take the High Stool and I'll Take the Low Stool and I'll be in Squatland before ye'

But in really bad looking and smelling bathrooms he can be forgiven for giving an occasional rendering of 'Squatland the Brave' as he does a kilted entry into the unknown.

Welcome to Willy's Wonderful World of Squattieland.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 01:05:23 am »
Normally I'd say..."too much information" but knowing I have two weak knees which doesn't lend itself very well to squatting...I will consider everything!
Question! Are there P-traps on the plumbing to control odors?

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 01:32:42 am »
Fivetrout.

This is a little standing water in the toilet but it is not always enough to make a good seal. For the sinks and other drains. NOPE !

Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 04:37:40 am »
Willy, you really shouldn't pick on Sir Squats a Lot so much.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 07:15:37 am »
When I stayed at his place last year he was continually going to the toilet with book tucked under his arm.

I thought he was well read but then I noticed he had forgot to bring the book out with him on one occasion. I thought I would see what he was reading. Then I found that he had been standing on a book just so he could reach the target!

(Look even a squat toilet can be a bit high for him).

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Vince G

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 07:59:02 am »

Yes, P traps and a Backflow (U shaped outside in the ground) Keep not only odors but more importantly Gases (Carbon monoxide mostly) from entering the home.

Gerry the amount of water in toilets is adjustable. If it has a float type shutoff in the tank. Adjust the float to shut off at a higher point. Make sure the feed hose (small hose) is in or clipped onto the filler tube.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:03:55 am by Vince G »

Offline Pineau

• Board Moderator
    • Youtube
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 09:05:11 am »
Vince.
I was talking about the squat toilet. It did not seal well. It sometimes let gasses back into the house. The standard toilet worked fine. 

There was no traps in the sinks or washing machine drains. There was just a hole in the floor that you ran your flex pipe into. I wrapped the end in plastic bags but the smells still came back up into the sink. On a windy day you get quite a variety of fragrances coming into the house. The only way to stop the smells was to put a stopper into the sink drain but you had better not forget. 

I contemplated installing traps into the plumbing between the sinks and the drain and sealing up everything leak proof.  The trouble with that was that the hole in the floor was not only for the sink but it was also the shower drain and the drain for water that you used to wash down the floor in the kitchen. The best thing to do would be to re-plumb the entire house using western methods but the landlord would never go for that.  So we just lived with it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:12:56 am by Pineau »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.

Vince G

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 12:23:55 pm »
No matter what country, plumbing has to have a vent (usually through the roof). That's how pipes drain. Otherwise it's like filling a straw with a liquid and holding your finger over the top. It stays in the straw (and stays in the drain pipe). Now I have no idea how the plumbing construction is there or even if they go by any codes?

But if the odors are backing into the home?  It may not be vented correctly or the vent is to far from the source? (Main drain)  I don't know what you can do about it there? Maybe see if the landlord can check the roof vents? Maybe someone closed if off by putting something on top of it like clothes? That's a no cost fix. Another thing might be something got in there and is obstructing the vent? It sounds like the odors are seeking an escape and finds the nearest vent.. your floor drain/sink.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 12:44:20 pm »

Yes, P traps and a Backflow (U shaped outside in the ground) Keep not only odors but more importantly Gases (Carbon monoxide mostly) from entering the home.

Gerry the amount of water in toilets is adjustable. If it has a float type shutoff in the tank. Adjust the float to shut off at a higher point. Make sure the feed hose (small hose) is in or clipped onto the filler tube.

Vince,
 That would work if they had holding tanks for the squat toilets like western toilets do. Many squats do not have holding tanks, most use a simple water valve to supply water as needed or a bucket full of water with a small pail for ladling water as needed to flush. Most only retain a small amount of water after they are flushed due to their design.

Offline Pineau

• Board Moderator
    • Youtube
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 02:07:39 pm »
Vince,
Short of drawing a diagram it is best described as a large cast iron pipe that runs from the sewer to the roof. It is shared by all the  apartments on each floor. It serves as both the drain and the vent.  In each apartment there are drain connections to it through plumbing in the floor.  No p traps of any kind. Just a direct connect so they are directly open to the same gasses that for the most part vent to the roof. Most of the time if you keep the window open the smells don't accumulate but when the wind is blowing right or there is a storm there then the gas and odors back up through the drains and get into the apartment.  Traps would solve the problem but they would add too much cost to construction.  I don't know how thick the floor is but it is also the ceiling of the apartment below. large pipes and traps would be a problem for them.  Another added benefit is that it provides a migration path for the roaches to escape your neighbors bug spray and hide out on another floor until it is safe to go back.

Vince G

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 03:01:59 pm »
Robert, Yes I understood this but it started from Gerry's "This is a little standing water in the toilet but it is not always enough to make a good seal." I assumed he meant a toilet with tank.

Gerry, It could be clogging in the main and the waste doesn't flush away. But that has nothing you can do about it. I had something like that here. But I pull a little weight here being Mayor of the block. lol

I keep all my drains closed for the same reason. There is a large rubber type shower drain cover made that might help? Most places even dollar stores have them here. Maybe you can find it there? These gases (besides the smell) can be dangerous, in health and in flammability.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:16 pm »
Distressing as it would be to some, the recent video that went world wide of the Chinese fireman rescuing a new born baby that had been flushed down a squattie shows just how the plumbing works in some buildings.  It is surprisng just how a baby survived for so long in such a tight place. But there again I suppose he had just spent 9 months in one!

An update on the baby is that he is now called '59' after his incubator number and the hospital is being showered with all things babywise plus cash and offers of adoption.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:23 pm »
Distressing as it would be to some, the recent video that went world wide of the Chinese fireman rescuing a new born baby that had been flushed down a squattie shows just how the plumbing works in some buildings.  It is surprisng just how a baby survived for so long in such a tight place. But there again I suppose he had just spent 9 months in one!

An update on the baby is that he is now called '59' after his incubator number and the hospital is being showered with all things babywise plus cash and offers of adoption.

Willy

Yep...saw the video on TV...but what intrigues me is how the baby got down there in the first place !!!...nobody mentioned that little detail. Maybe the Mother was washing the baby in the toilet......!!!!!! or something more sinister ??

• Board Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 03:22:47 am »
The police are dealing with it as attempted murder.  She original suggested that she went to the communal squat toilet and it just popped out. This was until the police and landlord opened up her room to find signs that the child was born there!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner