Author Topic: Deep Vein thrombosis  (Read 7341 times)

Offline IrishGuy65

Deep Vein thrombosis
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:15:07 am »
I read advice about controlling this on the long flight on these forums, but can't seem to find it. 

Can someone point me to the thread if they can find it, or offer the advice here?

Thanks so much!
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Deep Vein thrombosis
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:46:17 am »
I have made many 13 hour flights to and from China and other places  over the years.  Another coming up Monday 10th and back again on the 18th June.

For flights I always wear tight elastic socks to reach over my calves. At home I wear no socks or very short ones.  On a flight I am an annoy b---------d to others who are in my row as I get up for a walk at least every 60 - 90 minutes. That is unless I am actually sleeping but rarely do I sleep on a flight as I would not want to oversleep and miss my stop. ;D 

I normally try to get to the rear end of the plane then there are usually a larger area to walk about at the back end.  There is usually a door on either side there but try to resist the urge to pop outside for a longer stroll. ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:50:58 am »
I got a couple of pair from the hospital but they are available at Walgreens online store and amazon.com for 20-30 dollars.  Could save you life if you don't get up and walk around the plane.  At least stretch and wiggle your feet and arch your toes upward if you don't want to walk.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/gabrialla-knee-highs-firm-compression-20-30-mmhgblack/ID=prod6119375-product

I like this one better cause it looks more "manly"
http://www.amazon.com/Vitalsox-Patented-Performance-Graduated-Compression/dp/B004BKIPJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370015323&sr=8-2&keywords=compression+socks
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:28:12 pm »
Deep vein thrombosis

Summary

A deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot that forms in the veins of the leg. A pulmonary embolism is a life-threatening complication. Long-distance flights may contribute to the risk of DVT or 'economy-class syndrome'. Other risk factors for DVT include coronary heart disease, being overweight or obese, cigarette smoking, pregnancy, taking a high-dose combined oral contraceptive pill, family history of DVT or recent surgery or injury.
          A thrombosis is a blood clot. The clot may block a blood vessel, causing potentially serious health effects. A deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot that forms in the deep veins of the leg. A deep vein thrombosis in the thigh carries a risk of pulmonary embolism. This occurs when the clot, or thrombus, loses its attachment to the inside of the vein, leaves the leg and lodges in the pulmonary artery, the main blood vessel to the lungs. If the clot is large enough, it can completely block that artery and cause death.

Blood flow through the leg veins generally requires some mechanical help, since it 'flows' up instead of down. Working calf muscles act as a pump. The contracting muscles compress the veins and force the blood in these veins upwards to the heart. This process is aided by valves in the veins, which direct the flow of blood and counteract the effects of gravity.

Sitting still for long periods of time allows blood to pool in the veins. There is debate over whether or not the confinement of long-distance international flights may contribute to the risk of DVT. This condition is known as 'economy-class syndrome'.

Symptoms of deep vein thrombosis
 The symptoms of a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) may include:
  • Pain and tenderness in the leg
  • Pain on extending the foot
  • Swelling of the lower leg, ankle and foot
  • Skin that is red and warm.
Blood clotting
 Blood contains platelets and compounds called clotting agents. Platelets are sticky and form the basis of the blood's ability to thicken (coagulate). If a blood vessel is cut, platelets collect at the site of the injury. In conjunction with clotting agents, the platelets produce a web or mesh, which traps platelets and creates a plug to seal off the wound. The ability of the blood to clot is essential for survival, but it can also lead to the formation of a thrombus.

Risk factors for DVT
 Some of the risk factors that may contribute to the formation of a thrombus include:
  • Coronary heart disease
  • Being overweight or obese
  • Cigarette smoking
  • Pregnancy
  • A high-dose combined oral contraceptive pill
  • A susceptibility to 'stickier' blood and a family history of DVT
  • Sitting still for long periods of time
  • Recent surgery or injury
  • Some types of cancer
  • Congestive cardiac failure
  • Previous thrombosis.
Complications of DVT
 If the DVT remains in the leg vein, it can cause a number of complications, including inflammation (phlebitis) and leg ulcers. However, the real danger occurs if the clot leaves the vein and travels through the circulatory system. A pulmonary embolism means the clot has blocked off the main artery to the lungs or one of its major branches.

It is estimated that 80 per cent of pulmonary embolisms are linked to deep vein thrombosis. Around one third of people who experience a major pulmonary embolism will die. Life-saving treatment includes thrombolytic and anticoagulation drugs that dissolve the clot and restore blood flow.

'Economy class syndrome'
 International flights are suspected of contributing to the formation of DVT in susceptible people, although the research evidence is currently divided. For example, a Dutch study found no link between DVT and long-distance travel of any kind, while English researchers proposed, in a paper published in the Lancet, that flying directly increases a person's risk.

Some airlines prefer to err on the side of caution and offer suggestions to passengers on how to reduce the risk of DVT. These include:
  • Wear loose clothes
  • Avoid cigarettes and alcohol
  • Drink plenty of fluids
  • Move about the cabin whenever possible
  • Don't sit with legs crossed
  • Perform leg and foot stretches and exercises while seated
  • Consult with your doctor before travelling.
Diagnosis of DVT
 A deep vein thrombosis can easily be mistaken for other disorders, including lymphoedema and chronic venous disease. The diagnosis of a DVT is confirmed using a number of tests, such as:
  • Venous ultrasound – a special type of scan
  • Contrast venography – a dye is injected into the foot and special x-rays are taken of the leg veins.
Treatment for DVT
 Treatment includes:
  • Hospitalisation
  • Intravenous drugs to dissolve the clot
  • Long-term treatment with anticoagulant drugs, such as Warfarin, to prevent further clotting
  • Blood tests to monitor the 'stickiness' of the blood
  • Reducing risk factors such as quitting cigarettes or losing excess body fat.
Prevention strategies
 Graduated compression stockings to increase internal pressure have been found to decrease the risk of post-surgery DVT for hospital patients. The use of prophylactic anticoagulants in moderate to high-risk hospital patients is also recommended.

Other methods to reduce the risk of DVT include treatment for coronary heart disease, reducing excess body fat, quitting cigarettes, exercising regularly and switching to a high-fibre, low-fat diet.

Where to get help
  • Your doctor
Things to remember
  • A deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot that forms in the veins of the leg.
  • Complications include pulmonary embolism (which can be fatal), phlebitis and leg ulcers.
  • Treatment options include hospitalisation and medications to dissolve the clot and prevent further clotting.

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:08:47 pm »
Thanks guys.  I was planning on sleeping for most of my 12 hour flight.  I'm not a big fan of enclosed spaces, and if seating is tight it will make it worse.  So I have some sleeping pills that I was going to take to help me sleep for most of the trip.

Is it better if I do not sleep?  I will definitely get the socks.

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:48 pm »
My trips are 19 hours and I sleep as much as I can with pills.  I get on the airplane then immediately go to China's time.  It also help to kill a little jet lag that way.

I also wear the socks for the trip so......

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:33:35 pm »
Thanks guys.  I was planning on sleeping for most of my 12 hour flight.  I'm not a big fan of enclosed spaces, and if seating is tight it will make it worse.  So I have some sleeping pills that I was going to take to help me sleep for most of the trip.

Is it better if I do not sleep?  I will definitely get the socks.

According to this article it is better to avoid sleeping if possible.     http://www.xingfulove.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=86

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 10:01:38 pm »
If you were trying to scare me, robertt... it worked.  If I didn't like this woman so much, I would change my mind and not fly to China  ;D

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »
My trips are 19 hours and I sleep as much as I can with pills.  I get on the airplane then immediately go to China's time.  It also help to kill a little jet lag that way.

I also wear the socks for the trip so......
19 hours from Hartsfield - Jackson to Beijing!! Do you fly with WWA. Wilber Wright Airlines. Ha ha.

The jet lag nevers bothers me. Probably because I now go through life not knowing whether I am coming or going anyway.

And Zoot. Never be afraid to step on a plane your biggest problem will be surviving Chinese drivers once you are here.

Willy

PS. Did I miss something? Who is Pills?
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »
Hey Zoot, get on the plane. I bet you cant sleep cause you're too excited. But if you do then while you're awake exercise your calf muscle by wiggling your feet.  Arch your toes up then down over and over until you get tired. It really helps. My legs tend to swell and retain water anyway and on a plane walking or foot exercise is my only relief.  Its not so bad. Just do it and you will survive. 

Jet lag is not so bad going in that direction BUT...coming back is real bad depending on how long you stay in China.

Don't forget a lot of deodorant. Its frigging hot there in the summer and the humidity is 70-90 percent depending on the wind direction. If you not used to a humid climate be prepared to be drenched in your own sweat. . my first summer there I changed shirts 2-3 times a day. Dress for it.    Get a water bottle(s) and a purse to carry it in.

What's your departure date?   I am still waiting on the NVC for my daughter. Maybe we can meet there. Stranger things have happened.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 06:10:23 pm »
I'll never tell!!!!!  8)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »
Willy,

Are you not up to speed on current Yank slang? 

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 09:09:02 pm »
I try not to be up to speed on anything American. ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 06:28:10 am »
Hey Zoot, get on the plane. I bet you cant sleep cause you're too excited. But if you do then while you're awake exercise your calf muscle by wiggling your feet.  Arch your toes up then down over and over until you get tired. It really helps. My legs tend to swell and retain water anyway and on a plane walking or foot exercise is my only relief.  Its not so bad. Just do it and you will survive. 

Jet lag is not so bad going in that direction BUT...coming back is real bad depending on how long you stay in China.

Don't forget a lot of deodorant. Its frigging hot there in the summer and the humidity is 70-90 percent depending on the wind direction. If you not used to a humid climate be prepared to be drenched in your own sweat. . my first summer there I changed shirts 2-3 times a day. Dress for it.    Get a water bottle(s) and a purse to carry it in.

What's your departure date?   I am still waiting on the NVC for my daughter. Maybe we can meet there. Stranger things have happened.

My departure date is July 12.  I'm coming back July 27.  I'd be glad to meet you if you are going to be there around that time.  I gave myself several days to re-acclimate once I get back home, so I should be fine.

Offline maxx

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 10:21:35 am »
Chinabound we don't have it to bad.Willy is just mad and jealous because he wasn't born American.When he applied for American citizenship.They denied him.So he has ben mad since then.He got so mad that he lived in Africa for a couple of years.So everytime he thinks he has a chance he takes a shot at the Americans on this forum.