Author Topic: Losing man's best friend.  (Read 1887 times)

Offline fivetrout

Losing man's best friend.
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:54:00 am »
With sadness tonight my German shepherd of 12.5 years...gets her last meal. Her body just doesn't function very well any more. Oddly enough, Shasta has been shedding her winter coat everywhere, and it seems to be extra thick this year. Often times in nature, a plant or animal has last hurrah's or short term rejuvenation prior to the end, maybe this is hers? Shasta has had 5 short term mom's...and has seen me through many hard times. And even though she was pushed aside as a new women entered my life...she was the constant that never let me down, and the one with no agendas or misconceptions in our relationship. I required a friend's opinion to assess her condition because in the past with my dogs, I was told... I always hang on too long. I regret Shasta and Hong will never spend moments together as I'm sure Hong has never had the opportunity to bond with a dog, but on the other hand...I will be saved from the endless glares and sharp jabbing unknown Chinese words I'd hear because of dog hair being everywhere. Hong said goodby to Shasta last night (skype) and told me "this is the natural law".  Together we will spread Shasta's ashes in my favorite fly fishing river in Colorado, where as Hong is to also place mine someday!

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
Re: Losing man's best friend.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:29:55 am »
sincere condolences...I know how hard it is to loose a favourite and loyal pet.

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:19:24 am »
sorry for your loss, i know hard this can be, i have never had the pleasure of a good dog since i was a young boy, i will never want this loss again , John .

Offline shaun

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:26:54 am »
My feelings go out to you.  My Dobie has been gone for 4 years now.  I still don't have the heart to get another dog.  Seems silly but he was the best dog I ever had.  Dobie was a Dachshund.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:26:20 am »
I have never had a pet so the experience of it passing has never been one i had to face.

I have lost only one friend and that was just before I came to China.   He was 56 and went into hospital for some tests and never came out - he was there for 6 month and I watched a strapping 240lb  man being whittled down day by day. 
For six months his wife would go in for the night shift and I would be there for the 12 hour day shift as right from the start we was told he had prostate cancer and could go at any time. But it took him for June until November before he became a living skeleton of just 100 lbs.

He was sorely missed by so many people that the church where his funeral service was held had to relay the sound to the hundreds who could not be seated in the church.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:56 pm »
"..she was the constant that never let me down.."
you are so correct. I am sorry for your great loss.

I am going through this now with labs #4 & #5, 13 1/2yrs & 11 1/4 yrs.
It will be terrible feeling in the house of silence.

Offline shaun

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:28:25 pm »
fivetrout I forgot to say I know how you feel but as in my case and I am sure it is with you that I know that if there is a doggie heaven mine is there.  I imagine you could say the same.

Sad for you.

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:42:05 am »
Thank you all for the kind words! I am on a road trip to Colorado, something that I shared with her countless times. I think of her at all the stops I usually make for her.

Willy! Seeing that you are the senior here... you should know, you will live longer with a dog...just a thought, but don't eat it! haha

Chris

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 10:28:59 am »

Willy! Seeing that you are the senior here... you should know, you will live longer with a dog...just a thought, but don't eat it! haha

Chris
I have certainly had some dogs in my lifetime and occasionally been more than once.  But having a dog live with me is not my idea of fun.  But of course if you are refering to a canine companion then that may be a different proposition. ;D ;D

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 01:36:56 pm »
Are we talking...a well trained dog companion, or doggie style? :-[