Author Topic: Leaving for China in less than a month  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: Leaving for China in less than a month
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 06:08:08 pm »
If you think you might need an Affidavit of Single Status during your visit, then you may need to get one stateside or plan on going to another embassy to get the Affidavit. I found this while doing some research, thought I would give you the heads up!

The U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou will soon move to a new and spacious facility in the Zhujiang New Town neighborhood.  During our move it will be necessary to suspend temporarily our usual passport, extra pages, consular report of birth, and notary services.  From July 15 through July 22, appointments and passport pick up will not be available. 
We encourage U.S. citizens in south China to check family members’ passports and to schedule appointments now if necessary in order to avoid inconvenience or disruption to summer travel plans. 
Appointments for passport and notary services may be scheduled on line at https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=GUZ&appcode=1.

Here is the consulate link that has the notice. http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/service.html

Good Luck and Best Wishes,  Robertt

P.S.  If you get one state-side, you need to verify that it will be accepted at her local marriage registration office. You can download a blank copy of the Affidavit and e-mail it to her to take to the registration office for their decision. I used this company in New Jersey to get mine back in 2009 and it was accepted without any problems, you can ask the company rep. to be certain though. They know which provinces accept their documents. Here is the link for the Affidavit of Single Status.   http://www.visarite.com/SingleStatusAffidavit.htm#.UcIwh7Q4Kx0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:36:26 pm by robertt S »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 01:18:10 am »
I have just arrived back in China. Twelve hour flight from London to Hong Kong and it went past like a dream.

No sleeping pills no medication of any kind and did not even wake up for breakfast before landing.

The secret is that after dinner was served about 2 hours into the flight and then I turned on an American 'comedy' program and it had me asleep in minutes and I slept for hours. Ha ha

I only had one problem and that was with an Aussie who was going for a connection to Melbourne. I hope no one on here was on CX252, a 747 flight on Tuesday as he kept opening the shade alongside seat 74 on side of the plane sending a blast of sunlight light across the back row. Then he would leave it open for someone else to close then go to the other side and open that one. Anyone who knows the 747 may be aware that there is a doorway one either side of the back seat and there is a window that is normally kept shaded.

When he came back to my side  I must admit that I was my usual agreeable self. I got up went across shut down the blind he was looking out of (onto clouds) and simply said 'There is nothing to see out there' And then went back to my seat he mentioned something about me being very ruse in an Aussie twang and I suggested that he open the shade where he is sitting and stopped annoying us. Never had a problem with him again, I think, as I was able to sleep through the rest of the flight.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 04:57:58 pm »
Some people !!!!

I was coming back to Aus the other day on CX 252 to Melbourne, as usual, I couldn't sleep on an airplane, so I like to just look out the window and watch the clouds...it passes the time.

However, some bloody rude and ignorant Pom kept getting up and shutting the blinds because he wanted to sleep...I guess Pom's never heard of eye-shades...just want to spoil it for everyone else  ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Board Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 06:35:53 pm »
Some people !!!!

I was coming back to Aus the other day on CX 252 to Melbourne, as usual, I couldn't sleep on an airplane, so I like to just look out the window and watch the clouds...it passes the time.

However, some bloody rude and ignorant Pom kept getting up and shutting the blinds because he wanted to sleep...I guess Pom's never heard of eye-shades...just want to spoil it for everyone else  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ha ha I do not think that you could be as old as this guy was.  Mind you he was tall!  Eye shades? All I know is that pirates wear them!  Probably still were when they were being transported to OZ some years ago.

Mind you I do not think I would have picked on the big 'Pompey Boys' going out to watch the Rugby tour. I decided early in the flight that they could open the shade whenever they wanted. But they never did, probably did not want to rile me further!!!!!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 11:02:07 pm »
I'm using Asiana Airlines, and you get two pieces of luggage free if you are a member, which I am.  So I'm fine as far as baggage fees go.

Yes, I expect to bring many things back with me.  However, I'm also hoping things go well enough that I can leave many things in China for my return visits... thus allowing me to bring less in the future  ;)

robertt, I was joking about the divorce papers (well, I am actually bringing a copy with me), but I don't plan on getting married this trip.  If, and when, it gets to that point, I expect it will happen in the USA and I will probably be here talking about the Fiancee Visa a lot more.  I do appreciate the information, however... just in case I find myself needing it.  I guess anything COULD happen. 
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:14 pm »
If you get adventurous and want to go out shopping (alone) then here is a trick to find your way back to the bus/subway/train. The bus that got you there probable has a route back to where you cam from but it is on the other side of the street. When you get off the BUS immediately photo the Bus stop name and bus number.,

As soon as you exit the bus/subway/train station. Start taking photos of land marks.  You wont remember them but the locals will. If you find yourself lost just refer back to the camera photos. follow the breadcrumbs back.  If your still confused show the photos to a local and (hold onto the camera at all times) ask how to get to that particular landmark.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 07:08:05 pm »
   When in China    Always expect the unexpected  ;D

So if I expect the unexpected, only the expected will happen?

• Board Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 07:14:29 pm »
   When in China    Always expect the unexpected  ;D

So if I expect the unexpected, only the expected will happen?
So if you expect the expected then F...all happens then?  ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 03:40:58 pm »
I remember reading somewhere about taking prepaid cards instead of money.  Can someone enlighten me on the best card to get, how they work in China, and if I can withdraw cash using these cards?  I"m going to be taking about $2500 (I hope I don't need it all), and I thought taking $2000 in prepaid cards and $500 in cash would be OK... but if I can withdraw cash from the cards there, it would be easier to just get 5 - $500 cards.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »
Irishguy,

how about just use you ATM card from your bank. It will probably work there, All of mine did and all the banks.

My bank was wells Fargo and I could use the debit card at the ABC, BOC, ICBC. That is more than enough.

Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »
OK, great.  Thanks!!!

Offline shaun

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 06:49:13 pm »
IG65 your Debit card is the best way to go except check the rates for withdrawal from an non network ATM.  Mine is a $1.25.  Quite manageable. 

Also I would also stick with BOC or the Bank of China.  They are everywhere and I found generally their conversion rates were very competitive.

Stay away from China Construction Bank.  They limited my withdrawals and charged high fees with a smile saying they didn't understand why there were problems.

I carried cash my first trip and never again after that except to give as gifts to the children.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 02:39:31 am »
   Then each time you go just deposit your money in the bank. Each time I go I bring 10,000
  brand new 100 dollar bills to deposit. Takes about an hour at the bank to get it deposited.

You should be careful...people will think you are money laundering...

10,000 X 100 dollar bills = 1 million.......each time.....!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:38 am »
  Now I say BRAND NEW as they will look all bills over closely. Anything  torn, ripped, marked,
  has the counterfeit swipe on it anything but new they will kick out. So if you take money make
  sure it is BRAND NEW.

I just take the old notes that the bank give me, I have never had a problem, The big city banks i have been too there have been Chinese people waiting for foreigners to exchange their currency and they give a better rate than the bank does, As for trying to use my ATM card, forget it, CASH only, John.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 03:35:34 am »
   Then each time you go just deposit your money in the bank. Each time I go I bring 10,000
  brand new 100 dollar bills to deposit. Takes about an hour at the bank to get it deposited.

You should be careful...people will think you are money laundering...

10,000 X 100 dollar bills = 1 million.......each time.....!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am very surprised that you are able to leave the USA with such an amount in cash let alone that a respectable bank in China are accepting this amount.

I have to answer questions when I regularly transfer £5000 (roughly 50,000 rmb) from my own UK bank to my own Bank of China Bank.

I think they should wonder what sort of business a person is involved in that needs so much cash to be carried.

Mind you me and' my boys' may be interested to 'look after you' when you next arrive.  Just give us time and date of travel and which airport. And of course a photo of you so we can recognize the walking cash machine - oops I mean you.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner