Author Topic: My search  (Read 61422 times)

Offline JustJim

Re: My search
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2015, 09:09:45 pm »
That makes me think of something...   I remember when I went through the line at JFK they always split up the foreigners from the returning US  citizens.

Will I have to go through a separate line from Mei or can I just accompany her, and excuse it off with the agent who checks out the passports?
I am leaning toward that line of reasoning.  I have been through JFK and most of the agents only speak English.  And we are traveling as a party, but what do you "Mayguayens" think?

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2015, 10:12:16 pm »
That makes me think of something...   I remember when I went through the line at JFK they always split up the foreigners from the returning US  citizens.

Will I have to go through a separate line from Mei or can I just accompany her, and excuse it off with the agent who checks out the passports?
I am leaning toward that line of reasoning.  I have been through JFK and most of the agents only speak English.  And we are traveling as a party, but what do you "Mayguayens" think?

Not sure what the US is like but we have solved the problem at London Heathrow. We avoid the long queues that can have 2-300 people in them waiting to go through through immigration control. We are swept through a special lane every time.

At our departure airport, I ask for a wheel chair to meet me at the plane.  They always do and both myself and my wife are whisked through. Of course you need to carry one of those collapsing walking sticks as you 'hobble' up to the check in desk. ;)

This saves us anything from 30 minutes to an hour or more queuing at Heathrow.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2015, 11:50:00 pm »
You will have to go through the citizen line, JFK has plenty of people that speak Chinese when needed. You can try but most likely you will be told to get in the citizen line

Offline JustJim

« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2015, 11:07:48 pm »
Okay, I will let Mei know.  I am sure we will be fine.

The other day Willie welcomed us into his house at Zhongshan.  We took  the  high speed train to Zhongshan North station and Willie picked us up there.

We had a nice afternoon - his wife and mine talking in Mandarin and Willie and I discussing life in China and football in England.  Then they treated us to dinner and sent us on our way.  And I got to experience his wife's driving.... :o

We both had a good time, and Willie, if you are ever in the USA and want to see the wilderness just give me a call.  You would be welcome anytime... ;D

If nothing else I promise that I will bring real maple syrup, fresh from the sugar house, on my next trip.  I have a friend who makes it, and it's the best I ever had.

Still five days to go before we leave and it's turning into the longest five days yet.  In the past when I began to yearn to be home I could temper it by reminding myself that in China I was with Mei, and back home I was not, but now that is not the case.

I like China, when it is cooler and when we are traveling.  This time it's hot and we are saving our money, so it's really not what I want to be doing.  Every night is another going away party, and everyone wants to toast with the American, so next day I start off with a headache.

It could be worse.  It could be A LOT worse.  We could have been denied, or the visas could have been mixed up.  But none of this has happened, and believe me I am happy, I just want to be back and start this new life.

After we settle in we will be so busy.  Registering Kelly for school, signing her up for soccer, getting them both on my unions insurance plan,  making whatever changes Mei wants to the house... so , so much.  Of course my friends will want to meet her and I want to shield them both from the coming cultural onslaught, but then I managed it here with much less local language skills, so they should be alright also.  The only difference is that they aren't just going there for two weeks...

We will be okay, and I know that soon we will be sitting on the runway, waiting to take off... ;D

Jim
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:19:40 am by JustJim »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #304 on: August 14, 2015, 05:33:56 am »
Yes it was a nice day Jim.

And so refreshing to meet an American with such a good knowledge of the English Premier League.

Maybe one day we will meet up in London for an Arsenal - Chelsea match!   ;)

Willy

My 'wifes driving' - I only had to shout at her half a dozen times.  Mind you it was only a 5 minutes drive! ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:37:12 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

• Board Moderator
« Reply #305 on: August 17, 2015, 11:40:44 pm »
Just a word to say 'bon voyage' I guess everyone is excited about the trip tomorrow.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner