Author Topic: In hot water!  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
In hot water!
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:38:28 am »
Just been chatting to someone about a teacher who has been here for more than 6 months.

He was visited by the local police at the school where he also lived.

He was arrested when it was found that he did not have the correct visa for teaching here.   

He said he was relying on the school to have obtained the correct visa for him for him to work here so, he says, he did not check it out! :o

After spending a little time in the police station he was released and given a date when he had to leave the country.   

However they have confiscated his passport and he cannot leave the country or do any more work here until he coughs up the fines for overstaying his visa and because he cannot work at the school and live there he has also had to find accommodation.

They are claiming that every day he was in the country with an incorrect passport is a days fine and that's about 200 days but they have not given him the final figure yet.

I am reckoning on at least 20,000 rmb so that is certainly going to stretch the small teachers pay he was getting. 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

Re: In hot water!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:36:07 am »
Thanks for sharing that Willy.  For those of us who are considering living in China one day it is a reminder that it always up to us to make sure that all of our documents are handled correctly.

I have read on other threads where we are suppose to notify the police where we are staying and I've said I have never done this.  I cringe when I say that every time for fear that I might run afoul of the law in China.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:15:17 am »
Here ya go Mr Villy , Moderators mighta lika mova this after a while ,

Visa Update July 1, 2013 Foreign Nationals. [Copy link]   中文

BoMiller

View profile

Drop around
Add friends
Say hello

Express lift  Jump to the specified floor
1# 

Post time 2013-7-13 07:08:01 |View the author only |View in reverse order

Two major changes in the Visa Entry and Exit Laws took effect july 1, 2013.

The new law requires registration within 24 hours of arrival.

The penalty has been increased from 500 rmb on the first offense to a whooping 2-10,000 rmb.
 Who decides the fine amount is unclear. It is assumed the local authorities will have control over that decision since they retain a major portion of the fine.

It is unclear how this effects visa and registration renewal.

There will be no negotiating the imposed fine. Without a documented registration and/or work permit, any illegal alien is subject to immediate deportation without the possibility of legal entry in the future. Any fine imposed by the authorities must be paid before exiting the country.

A citizen who knowingly aids, abetes or assists in any form, an illegal alien to find employment or shelter will be fined, jailed or both.

Persons harboring or hiding foreigners who illegally enter or reside in China, or assisting such foreigners in evading inspection, or providing, in violation of the law, exit/entry documents for foreigners who illegally reside in China shall be fined not less than RMB 2,000 but not more than RMB 10,000; where circumstances are serious, such persons shall be detained for not less than five days but not more than fifteen days and shall also be fined not less than RMB 5,000 but not more than RMB 20,000, with the illegal gains confiscated if there are any.
Entities engaging in any of the acts prescribed in the preceding paragraph shall be fined not less than RMB 10,000 but not more than RMB 50,000, with the illegal gains confiscated if there are any; and the persons in charge of the entities who are directly responsible and other persons directly responsible shall be punished in accordance with the provisions in the preceding paragraph.

Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:49:23 am »
Wow. That is some hefty money he is staring at there.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,