Author Topic: 7th trip to paradise  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
7th trip to paradise
« on: July 29, 2013, 11:23:33 pm »
Well, I just got back from two weeks with family and friends.  We didn't do much tourist stuff, just visited and had fun together, and ate, ate, ate. 

Everyone wants to have dinner with us when I'm there.  A typical day goes something like this:  eat breakfast, eat fresh dried peanuts (we even helped harvest peanuts this time), lunch, then someone shows up to visit and they insist on buying the foreigner one, two or three beers with food, then more peanuts with tea, then supper and a few more beer.  It's funny.  I don't even drink beer at home.  I've told my wife I don't want to drink, but everyone wants to buy me a beer.  The older brothers compete to see who can get me to drink more, and they don't drink at all.  hah

So, you do need a drivers license to drive in China as a foreigner, right?  My wife didn't seem too concerned, and convinced me to take her brother's new car for a spin, right past the police station through town.  That was fun.  Then she convinced me to drive the scooter.  3 days in a row, just the two of us.  That's when I realized just how amazing life is.  Riding a scooter on the mountain roads, under the hot sun with my wife at my back, on the other side of the planet.  Not a care in the world.  Paradise.

On the third scooter trip, a car passed us which turned out to be a police car.  I was pretty worried, but they never looked twice.  We were on the way to my wife's uncle's house.  After lunch, when we were ready to head home, my wife told me that that police car was parked behind our scooter.  She's always playing little pranks so I didn't think much of it until I looked out the window.  Sure enough.  But, as I watched, her cousin was backing the police car out of the driveway and away we went, scott free.  ;D

We got to see the house that my wife's father was born in.  It's across the valley from her uncle's home in a little valley, surrounded by thick forest and rice fields.  I'll try and post some pictures soon.  The house is no longer occupied and is overgrown and fading into the forest. 

My wife's friend's husband works for a mining company based in Vancouver.  I jokingly mentioned that he should hire me as an electrician, so he's going to look into it.  Haha.  My wife's pretty excited, but I can't see them hiring a western electrician with little Chinese skill when they can hire Chinese electricians, but who knows. 

I picked up a couple immitation swords and brought them home as gifts (my boss was stoked).  I had no problem shipping them back as my second bag.  They scanned them twice and called for instructions, but away they went.  They even put fragile stickers on the package.  Back in Canada, I filled out the arrival card (or whatever it's called) and checked NO to bringing back weapons.  While waiting for my bags, one of the officers asked what I was bringing back, and I mentioned swords.  She asked why I didn't check the box for weapons and I told her I didn't consider them weapons, just display items.  She didn't disagree, and changed the entry for me.  No problem. 

It always sucks coming home to an empty house, but it's also nice to sleep in a soft bed.  I hope she can come home soon.  She's miserable without me, and I need her here.   :'(
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline daghoi

Re: 7th trip to paradise
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:38:18 am »

Great story. The house always seems more empty coming back from a trip like that.

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 02:42:20 am »
Great story, Neil. 

I feel your pain coming home to an empty house.  It won't be like that forever.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:05:53 am »
Sounds like you enjoyed every minute Neil, I do enjoy every trip to China too, As for the eating, I stack on a few kilos every time i go to stay at the family home, Breakfast is a feast in itself, When the neighbours hear the "westerner" is back in town they all come around to eat and open many bottles of Chinese whiskey :P, They toast me one after the other and see if they can get me drunk.
As for paradise, my wife comes from a more rural part of Handan and I just love the trips up to the mountains and in to the valleys, As for coming home to an empty house, I agree it sucks, I did this 6 times before my wife finally came here, soft bed and pillows that are not hard as concrete, this is paradise too  ;D, John. 

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:46 am »

On the third scooter trip, a car passed us which turned out to be a police car.  I was pretty worried, but they never looked twice.  We were on the way to my wife's uncle's house.  After lunch, when we were ready to head home, my wife told me that that police car was parked behind our scooter.  She's always playing little pranks so I didn't think much of it until I looked out the window.  Sure enough.  But, as I watched, her cousin was backing the police car out of the driveway and away we went, scott free.  ;D

I know the amazed looks I get when driving a car here.  I would think that the police would not think that a foreigner would be even madder to ride a scooter here!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:42:23 am »
Great Neil.  7th trip?  Wow.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!