Author Topic: Hotel question!  (Read 1773 times)

Offline fivetrout

Hotel question!
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:06:20 pm »
 Hi guys.

I've noticed that a big price difference in whether "one or two" guests when booking/searching hotels in Wuhan. I would not assume Hong will spend any nights with me, but then if she does and we get confronted...a big time loss of face?

Arnold

Re: Hotel question!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »
I have always booked for just myself everytime, even though Qing always stayed with me... I never seen a problem with Hotel/Staff checking how many are sleeping in. I did stay at only western hotels though, so might be different in local's.

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 04:40:39 pm »
OK thanks Arnold. Just booked the Dorsett in Wuhan with a king bed and separate couch in other room (for me) haha

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:07 pm »
Outside of the USA some hotels cater for single people and a 'single' rooms means that the chances are that the room just has a single bed.  UK in particular, at smaller hotels, have these.

But never come across that in China.  What does happen when arriving at some hotels that you have booked on line is the cancellation request.  The hotel reception may ask you to cancel your booking and then they will give you the same room at a slight discount. That saves them paying commission to the online booking agent. So in the Chinese way you both save!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Arnold

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
.... The hotel reception may ask you to cancel your booking and then they will give you the same room at a slight discount.

Funny you mentioned that Willy. When I wanted to up-grade to VIP level (Happy Hour was included) from regular room, they would/could not do it at the Desk. They made me get on a PC and re-do it from there myself. Thought that was strange, I'm right there and they said NO. If Reservations made on line, they will not touch it.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 12:05:29 pm »
.... The hotel reception may ask you to cancel your booking and then they will give you the same room at a slight discount.

Funny you mentioned that Willy. When I wanted to up-grade to VIP level (Happy Hour was included) from regular room, they would/could not do it at the Desk. They made me get on a PC and re-do it from there myself. Thought that was strange, I'm right there and they said NO. If Reservations made on line, they will not touch it.
That is so they can tell the booking agent that you cancelled before arriving. Without that they are still charged by the booking agent.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 07:49:36 pm »
Funny you mentioned that Willy. When I wanted to up-grade to VIP level (Happy Hour was included)

Wow, and I would have thought that it was happy hour regardless of which room you ended up in.

Offline shaun

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:26:19 pm »
I think it is happy hour when I arrive in China and ends when I leave.  ;D

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:45:17 pm »
Funny you mentioned that Willy. When I wanted to up-grade to VIP level (Happy Hour was included)

Wow, and I would have thought that it was happy hour regardless of which room you ended up in.
HAPPY HOUR!!!! Those were the days!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Arnold

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 12:33:06 am »
 :) :) you guys are funny! I had my Breakfast included already, so why not have "Happy Hour" (with clothes on) too. Orange Juice is for mornings, some fine Wine is to get into the "Mood" for more things to come. Then, it's off to Dinner.. for more things to come. It was a great time in Shanghai, now at home it's "Happy Hour" all the time.. without an Up-grade.  :P only "Up" is needed... did I just say that? ::)