Author Topic: Clarify please!  (Read 5588 times)

Offline fivetrout

Clarify please!
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:29:52 pm »
Hong is asking me to contact the American embassy as to how many notarization's of marriage we need from the notary office. I'm not sure what she is asking for? Chinese notarization's? Do we need notarized certifications of our marriage for immigration purposes? Then she states...male and female certificate of the certification. She goes on to say...there is a need for both sides or unilateral marriage certificates.

Any help?

Offline fivetrout

Re: Clarify please!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:47:43 pm »
After further thought...I believe she is asking that the marriage be officially filed with the American embassy? And how many copies the American embassy requires?

Offline ChinaBound

• guilin bound
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:07:08 am »
 None    You don't file it with the Embassy at all.

Offline shaun

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:18:43 am »
I think what she is looking for is a marriageability form from the American Consulate.  It is provided by the American Consulate after you provide the proper documentation to prove that you are eligible for marriage.  You only need one Marriageability Form to take to the Chinese Marriage office where your wife was born.

Here is a link to the American Consulate in Guangzhou that explains all that you need.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/information_about_getting_married_in_china2.html

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12:08 am »
I think what she is looking for is a marriageability form from the American Consulate.  It is provided by the American Consulate after you provide the proper documentation to prove that you are eligible for marriage.  You only need one Marriageability Form to take to the Chinese Marriage office where your wife was born.

Here is a link to the American Consulate in Guangzhou that explains all that you need.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/information_about_getting_married_in_china2.html

Do you collect it the same day or is there a delay? I cannot see that set out in the link so maybe info from someone who has 'done it' may help.  It may be important for someone who is only going to be there for less than two weeks and may also have to travel to the Lady's home city to marry so time is important.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:54 am »
You will have to make an appointment on-line in most cases for the affidavit of marriageability, that form will then be taken to a local translation service to be translated to Chinese. You might also check on the exact location of the embassy that serves your girlfriend's region/province because many areas only have VPEs ( Virtual Presence Embassies or websites) You may have to travel a long distance to actually attend your appointment or wait until the embassy schedules a visit to the province you are located in.. Regards, Robert

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:36:24 am »
I think Mike may have answered it. I think she is asking how many copies notarized and translated into English after marriage would I require. Yesterday Hong went to the marriage office in Wuhan (her city), and showed them a copy of singles affidavit I had Visarite obtain for me. She called me from the office and I spoke with an employee there. He said my singles affidavit was in order and we were good to go! Is there a delay in time... getting the notarized marriage certificate translated into English back, or is it something in which takes a few hours?

Arnold

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:14:52 pm »
For Qing and I, it took about 6 hours. We married at about 10:30am and took the Marriage Papers to a Translating Office in Shanghai and were told to come back before they close the same day. Cost: $ 320 yuan in 2008 for us. Those we took to an Official Notary Office to have them notarized in both Chinese and English, that took a couple days to get back.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:39:27 pm »
We had ours notarized and translated while we waited.  it took about 5 minutes in an office across the street. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline shaun

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:10 pm »
After rereading your post I remember that we got 3 notarized copies at the lawyers office in Peggy's hometown.  We dropped the marriage certificate off then went back a couple of days later for the notarized copies.  Yes the Chinese notarizing is sufficient for the American Government.   There isn't any need to get it done at the consulate.

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 05:56:55 pm »
Thanks guys! I think 3 will do for us.

Offline LP

• Kinder fun doing something someone say impossible
Another Clarify please!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:58 pm »
Can any one here tell me if the invitation letter  from your  soon to laopo should be written  in English  or Chinese and Can I write it for her and have her sign it?
A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than money. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 01:16:01 am »
My invitation letter was from a sample letter I got somewhere. I sent it with my info. and she added hers then attached her Chinese ID card. It was in English.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 07:23:44 am »
Maybe the rules have changed since the two times I went there, but I never had an invitation letter.  Just an itinerary.  I did not have any problems getting a visa for me, or my daughter, who was seven at the time.