Author Topic: Still Learning  (Read 5353 times)

Offline mpo

Still Learning
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:51:54 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:11:22 pm by mpo »

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
Re: Still Learning
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 01:10:28 pm »
Is she lactose intolerant?  If that is her problem there are enzyme tablets available in every grocery store that can make all milk good to her.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:10:36 pm »
Most Chinese people I know are lactose intolerant.My wife always buys soy milk.Or the brand name Silk.As for rice my wife buys a 25 pound bag at Sam's club.It is grown in Thailand.I don't think it is sticky rice but she seems to like it.

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 04:11:39 pm »
... that's a "Sticky" situation? For Qing though, she likes Japanese Rice over Chinese (guess eating it for five years in Tokyo), but I introduced her now to brown rice & wild rice and she loves them. Anyway, when it comes to rice.. I really let her choose. For cereal/cooking we use "Regular" milk, but for drinking it's Soy Milk made fresh each time at home. For the cheese part, it is strange? She likes "White" Jack and Swiss, but does not like any "Yellow" cheddar or a mix with such. It really is easy for us, hence she is the main Cook (and a great one too).. I let her decide. If I feel like yellow or goat cheese with crackers, I'm on my own and I don't let it bother me while enjoying it myself. "Goat Chesse" near Qing= Priceless face!

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:19:40 pm »
Maxx, I think you are right. Many I know  are lactose intolerant including Fiona. But it doesn't matter to her. She likes USDA whole milk. It sends her to the bathroom but she still likes it. She does not like Soymilk so much and neither do I. Almond milk is really good on cereal and she likes it but man it is expensive.

That I why I purchased the lactose tablets.  They are getting cheaper every year. Kirkland brand (available at Costco, kings super and Amazon ) is the cheapest I have found. $21 for 180 tablets. 

As for rice, all my Chinese friends swear that Thailand rice is the best and Fiona agrees. (its not sticky so I guess not all Chinese like sticky rice)

They have to have a taste of home. That is Fiona's biggest regret is giving up Guangzhou food.  I also agree that what ever they want to eat BUY IT. I remember how miserable I was in China looking for something that remotely tasted like American food.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:23:14 pm by Pineau »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline maxx

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:24:01 pm »
Gerry my wife is so lactose intolerant that she cant have  milk in anything she eats.If she do's she is going to be sick all night long.Three of are two boys drink whole milk all the time.It doesn't bother them.Yes the almound milk is expensive.But they all seem to like it.So we get some everytime we go to the Asian market.

Offline shaun

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 07:37:39 pm »
This thread should be pinned near the top of the section.  I might be able to find it when I need it.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »
A few years ago I did make the mistake of trying to cook rice the same way as I did in the UK before coming here.  That turned out just as 'sticky' as hers. I then insisted that we only buy pre packaged rice in those large bags but it always turns out the same.  But I now understand what they are feeling for when they are running their hands through those large open containers of rice in the Supermarkets!  I just wonder if the wiping of their nose on the back of their hands before reaching the rice sections adds any flavour or not?

I always though that they served up 'sticky' rice at home and in restaurants as it is easier to handle with chop sticks.   ;D  Well it is for me. ::)

I use 2 litres of milk a week and my wife drinks those little packets of flavoured milk produced from peanuts and such.   I am not into the vegetarian or fish diets that prevail here.  I like a small amount of meat every day or fillet fish but never fish off the bone I cannot stand fish with bones, never have eaten it and never will, So you can be sure that it will not be me that dives in to get that fish eye first! :o  Plus chopped up chicken and bones is also a no no.

My wife does not like Western food and when we go to the UK she loses something like 10lb in weight and as she only weighs 100 lbs to start with that is a big loss.  :o   So much so that when I make a visit to the UK early next year then I am taking our eldest daughter with me and my wife stays at home.  At 26 she is more tolerant of Western Food.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JustJim

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:10:02 am »
I remember how miserable I was in China looking for something that remotely tasted like American food.

BAKED GOODS   !!!    They have no idea how to bake breads in China.  I never did find a good roll, or a good piece of bread.   Anyone here tried Bread Alone products?   Oh man, mouth watering good.

I love a good loaf of bread.  I should probably bring some with me when I go because it is going to be four weeks without if I don't.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 05:06:32 am »
I get a loaf of bread three times a week. The only problem, but maybe a good thing, is that there are no additive to make it last longer.
You need to search for a good baker and you will be surprised at the different types you can buy.

Our best baker is adjoining the Justco Japanese owned supermarket.

Either find one or bring over a bread maker machine with you.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,