Author Topic: Canada - New Rules!  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Canada - New Rules!
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:54 pm »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: Canada - New Rules!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:06:26 am »
Looks like Canada is getting tired of abuse of their immigration system also.  The news rules for Canada are similar to the laws we have in the USA. A legal permanent resident can file for citizenship after holding a green card for three years ( 3 ) as long as the permanent resident is still married to the spouse who petitioned for them to immigrate. In times past you had to be in the military to be eligible for the 3 year filing for citizenship, but that was changed a few years back. If an immigrant divorces their spouse who petitioned them before the 3 years have elapsed, they will have to wait until the 5th year before they can apply for citizenship. Another little detail to keep in mind is that you are still liable and bound by the I-864 until the immigrant works long enough to earn 40 quarters work credits ( generally takes about 10 years ), becomes a citizen, dies, or abandons ( returns to their home country permanently or deported ) or loses lawful status ( green card denied or revoked ) as a lawful permanent resident ( LPR ). Please note: Divorce does not release you from the I-864 contract, Affidavit of Support