Author Topic: Changes Again  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Changes Again
« on: May 13, 2014, 03:42:21 pm »
I announced a few days ago that there were some changes coming up. As you may notice, there are some new sections in this forum.also, there is another bigger change. I have decided to retire from this group.I suppose retirement might not be the best use of the word, since I will be sticking around in a reduced capacity.I have decided to hand over the forum to someone else, that I feel can take this group in a better direction. I feel I have taken it as far as I can given my time constraints, and considering myown personal direction in life, that does not include China.

Robert Snelgrove is the new commander in chief. He is the new owners of the site, and the new boss.any role that I have in this group, I answer to him.I have enjoyed running this group since day one. It certainly turned into something that I never anticipated.originally, the Facebook group was intended to share pictures and swap travel stories. It quickly transformed after that.so as of today, robert is now in full control of the site.I hope you welcome him as the new owner of the site, & I hope we continue to see this group grow.

I will be sticking around as a moderator of some of the new sections, and he is letting me stick around as an honorary administrator.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
Re: Changes Again
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 05:38:13 pm »
Very good choice Martin.

Roberts the man.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:14:41 pm »
I think Robert is a good choice. Best of luck Robert.

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:22:23 pm »
I think Robert is a great choice!

Martin, I think you were an outstanding owner while you were in charge.  Thanks for all your hard work in keeping this forum alive.  It's been so beneficial to me that I can't even put it into words.
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline shaun

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:23:40 pm »
Congratulations Robert.  Stunned though.  Now who are the mods?  I see Arnold, Martin, and Maxx.  Any more?

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 06:33:50 pm »
Congrats Robert :)
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:46 pm »
Martin, Robertt a terrific selection!
also, am happy to read you will stay on as a 'Mod'. I guess you will be
our Philippines correspondent.

Robertt. Congrats! Just like the recent NFL draft last week. A great 1st round selection.
You will do well.
May the sweet winds of your successes be full of peace & harmony.
regards, John
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:24:17 pm by JohnB »

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:03 pm »
Thanks for the Congrats! Hopefully, I will do as good a job and Martin, Irishman, and all the mods have done over the past few years. I added a few new boards and a few new mods to those new boards. I based my decision on who I thought would actually have experience with the board subject. If anyone I assigned as a mod does not want to be a mod just let me know and I will remove you from the mod list. Again, thanks for the vote of confidence and hopefully we can carry this site well into the future and increase our membership levels.   Thanks, Robert

Offline JustJim

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:42:59 pm »
I have to say nice things... Robert is helping me with my application... ;D

But seriously, when I think of things pertaining to China I think of this board first, and when I want the most up to date advice about how to negotiate the ins and outs of all of this paperwork I think of Robert.

Now mind you, my experience with the board has been limited and I don't know all of the things that Martin and previous administrators brought to the table, but I really appreciate that they did what they did and that this board was here.

Maybe I still would have met someone in China without this board, and maybe I would still be able to figure out all the ins and outs of getting married and getting her to America, but I am quite sure it would have been a much harder process, and a more difficult experience.  I might still have been stuck over at China Love trying to negotiate through that site.

So this board has been invaluable to me.  The advice of everyone here has been so helpful to me.  It has made this whole thing possible for me, in my opinion.

I understand that things change.  I was president of my local soccer league for four years and there came a time when it was time for new blood because I had given my best, and I needed a change.  I stayed involved for a couple more years, but at a reduced capacity.  Overall my experience was a good one, because I did not have to be at the reins "forever."  I think we all understand that life is like this, and that change brings new vigor, new ideas, and new direction.  And I think that we all recognize that it is the good work of the previous ones in charge that has laid a solid foundation for continued improvement.

Again, I can't say enough how much this board has meant to me.  I wish it , and all of us, much success...

And thanks Robert, for stepping up and taking the lead.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 11:55:22 pm »
Ok one question?

How is it that Americans refer to the golden game of Football as SOCCER.

Where did that name come from? ::)

Mind you not long to go before the FOOTBALL World Cup starts in Brazil. ;D ;D

That will give the Americans the occasional opportunity of supporting a home international team in an International competition. ;)

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:45:02 am »
Just to digress a little....

As far as I am aware the word "Football" refers exclusively to the Game played in Aus...known as Australian Rules Football..."AFL"

This is a real game, played by very hard Men and requires incredible hand, foot and eye skills, needs superhuman fitness and endless capacity to drink ice-cold Lager.

Any other game played with a ball is just for wimps and Poms....

;D ;D ;D

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:56:11 am »
Just to digress a little....

As far as I am aware the word "Football" refers exclusively to the Game played in Aus...known as Australian Rules Football..."AFL"

This is a real game, played by very hard Men and requires incredible hand, foot and eye skills, needs superhuman fitness and endless capacity to drink ice-cold Lager.

Any other game played with a ball is just for wimps and Poms....

;D ;D ;D
Your correct David, it is for the roughest and the toughest.

But I thought Aussie rules Football was only introduced to enable the winners to be granted a pass to leave the island to where the bad boys and girls of England were sent for life.  Thereby being able to control them, during their perpetual confinement.  I suspect that the lager was a later addition.

Willy

From what I hear on the news all Aussies have to tighten their belts for a few year to come.
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline IrishGuy65

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:56 am »
Let me help you understand the difference.  Football, American style, is a thinking man's game.  It is all about strategy, which changes from team to team, from game to game, and from play to play.  It is a tough sport also, but if you can't think quickly and adjust on the fly, you can't win.  Now, soccer and rugby... the strategy rarely changes, there is no deep thinking or difficult decision making.  You see the same things all the time, and, ultimately, the best players win the games.

The difference is in the strategy.  I've played all 3 sports competitively, and I can tell you first hand that none of the 3 are the toughest physically, but strategically American football is far superior.  Not only do you need to be athletic physically, but also mentally.

The toughest physical sport is ice hockey.  No other sport is even close.  Ice hockey is also probably the most intense sport.  It is too fast for most people, which is why it never because as popular as so many other sports.

Finally, I personally cannot understand the interest in soccer, or rugby.  They are very boring.  I may as well watch golf or tennis or bowling.  YAWN!
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline JustJim

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 09:20:57 am »
And another controversy rears its ugly head...  I hope a brou-ha-ha does not ensue.

Soccer is called the "beautiful game" because it is all about creativity.  I love watching it but I wish they would not be so creative with the flops...  In fact I wish they would give out post game yellow cards after reviewing the replays to discourage flopping.

And I understand that it got its name from the Association of football team schools that was formed in the 1800's.  Association was shortened to "soccer" by the Americans.

And the Rugby School disagreed with the rules as laid out and started their own sport with their own rules, thus the game of rugby.

As for hockey, I believe the joke was...    "I went to a prize fight last night and in the middle of the third round a hockey game broke out..."

I agree with Patrick that it is probably the most demanding, but I don't have a lot of interest in it, nor could I bring my kids to a game, perhaps because of the fighting.

Australian Rules Football?  I have watched a few games...  It just seemed like an organized mugging with silly officials in derby hats... ;D

Actually I think of that replay where that guy got his leg broke in so many places I lost count.  Think Joe Theismann squared... :o
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:24:49 am by JustJim »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 09:30:43 am »

'And I understand that is got its name from the Association of soccer team schools that was formed in the 1800's.'   Association was shortened to "soccer" by the Americans. Association Football was its name and we still have the FA Cup - Football Association Cup.

And the Rugby School disagreed with the rules as laid out and started their own sport with their own rules, thus the game of rugby.' The game was changed by Rugby School pupils.  Well what do you expect when the public  school lads l love getting to grips with the buttocks of others'

I agree with Patrick that it is probably the most demanding, but I don't have a lot of interest in it, nor could I bring my kids to a game, perhaps because of the fighting.

Apart from golf and the Ryder cup when do Americans get to cheer on their national teams?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner