Expats in Asia > Obstacles for an Expat in Asia

The Basics for survival in China.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pineau:
I read on the tencent website that if you are outside China when you install wechat you will not be given the wallet option.
You must be in China when you install the app in order to get the wallet option.

In addition you must have a Chinese bank account or credit card to use the wallet. Without a China bank account or credit card the only way to use your wallet is to have someone in china send you cash from their wechat wallet to yours.

I bought a new phone (used off ebay) just to take to china. After I arrive I will install a China mobile SIM card and then install Wechat.  I will get a friend in china to send me some of my cash from their wechat account to mine. That will give me some flexibility in my spending there and lower the risk of carrying cash with me.

Willy The Londoner:
Gerry
Not sure you can do it that way. I think you will need to have a Chinese bank account  and card in your name. I have money in my wallet sent to me by others  but I am unable to pay anyone with  it without providing them with my Chinese bank details.

I was not able to accept money into my wallet without first proving them with the required bank details

My wife is happy to use  her card if we need to pay anyone,

Willy

Pineau:
ANY ONE KNOW THE STATUS OF WILLY?
I messaged him last week and have not received a reply. I hope his is healthy.

shaun:
I've tried to contact him a few times with no response.  Wife lost You Yan's phone number.  Not sure how she spells her name. I asked Robertt; he said he would check the internet link but I never heard back.  I hope he is OK.

Robertt S:
I have tried messaging Willy a few times without success. His profile shows his last visit to the site on Oct 7th 2021. I am gonna try to get a hold of his little Scottish mate and see if he knows anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version