Author Topic: Weird Foods of China  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Weird Foods of China
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:23:39 pm »
Here is a very interesting article I found that lists many of the strange dishes that are served in China. A few of those listed I have already experienced knowingly and possibly a few were experienced unknowingly! :o

WEIRD FOODS IN CHINA
20080225-duck_blood weird meat.jpg
 Duck blood

Sparrows are a common street and snack food. They are skewered, roasted and fried and served on sticks. They are often eaten bones and all between sips of beer in streetside stalls. In Beijing, you can get silkworms, grasshoppers, seahorses,  and scorpions---with their stingers intact. Other weird food favorites include snakehead soup, duck feet marinated in blood, solidified duck blood, pork lungs, peacock and pig face. The latter is made by pouring hot tar in a pig head to remove the hair put not the skin.
  Banquet specialties include cow’s lung soaked in chili sauce, goose stomachs, fish lips with celery, goat’s feet tendons in wheat noodles, shark’s stomach soup, chicken-feet soup, monkey’s head, ox forehead, turtle casserole, pigeon brain, deer ligament and snake venom, lily bulbs and deer’s penis.
  A typical menu offers things like “goat genitals soup,” “pig hoof gruel,” “old vinegar jelly fish,” “fried goose intestines,” “know taste pork meat pie,”  “chicken without sexual life,” “pockmarked old-lady’s tofu.” “fish smell like pork.”  “spicy ducks heads” and “lover’s lung.”  Some restaurant serve donkey and the entree “Explodes the Stomach, Slides the Tendon and Fires the Sheep’s Internal Organs.”
Some people in China eat dirt as a "famine food." Analysis of samples of eating soil shows that it contains large amounts of iron, calcium, vanadium, magnesium, manganese and potassium---essential nutrients that are in short supply in times of famine.

Read the complete article here.   http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat11/sub73/item146.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:30:11 pm by Robertt S »

Offline fivetrout

Re: Weird Foods of China
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 11:15:29 pm »

I eat dirt...every-time I climb under my car to fix something. My eyes attract dirt also!  :'(

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 11:31:42 pm »
Yes. I saw a programme recently that said kids should play in the dirt and mud as dirt, as a rule, caused little or no harm but had benefits.

As for getting ones hands dirty then that is a thing of the past. Labour is very cheap here.  I called out a plumbing recently to clear a blocked drain - cost was just 50 rnb.  Before I left London 5 years ago it cost the equivalent of 2500 rmb for an emergency plumber who arrived 3 hours later :(

As for food, then my immediate family here think it is the ruination of good food not to wok everything in oil and peppers but to boil vegetables in water with salt added.   And to eat salary items such as cucumber, tomato, lettuce and carrots without cooking is even stranger to them.

But then they have this good point. If an animal gives up it's life for you to live then you must not waste one bit of its offering.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 08:26:16 pm »
Last night during my birthday treat I had young goat cutlets.

Can I say that I KID you not that they were delicious and cooked to perfection.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »
Last night during my birthday treat I had young goat cutlets.

Can I say that I KID you not that they were delicious and cooked to perfection.

Willy

Did you know that the United States is about the only country that rarely eats goat meat. I read a study from University of GA concerning the meat goat market in the USA, the study stated that after every meat goat raised in the USA was sold in the market, that the markets still had to import approx 70% of the goat meat needed to meet the demand. This 70% was frozen goat meat imported from New Zealand and Australia. It got me to seriously consider fencing in some of my acreage and start raising goats. I think the demand will continue to rise every year due to immigration and the new immigrants desire for goat meat. ::)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:04:09 pm »
Has anyone here tried balut?  It's supposed to be an aphrodisiac, although I am not sure why it is considered so.  It sounds far worse that it tastes.  I quite enjoy them myself.  Not sure what it is...check out this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_%28food%29

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:39:28 pm »
Martin,   
 The part about baluts being a aphrodisiac is a myth. The philippine ladies really use baluts as a benchmark to measure your love for them. I know I would have to be head over heels for a lady before munching on rotten duck eggs. 8)

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 12:32:03 am »
Has anyone here tried balut?  It's supposed to be an aphrodisiac, although I am not sure why it is considered so.  It sounds far worse that it tastes.  I quite enjoy them myself.  Not sure what it is...check out this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_%28food%29

But did they work Martin?  ;)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner