Author Topic: Marrying in US  (Read 4328 times)

Offline AbovetheLAW

• Do or Do not...there is no try.
Marrying in US
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:51:39 am »
Hey guys it has been a long time since I have been on the website but glad to see it still doing well. If you remember me I posted in the trips to China section and discussed the adventure I had with my love. After a year of a very very long and difficult long distance relationship I finally have the opportunity to see her again. This time however she is coming to visit me. She filed for tourist visa in september and got it. She is suppose to fly in next week and there are a few questions i have. Now before I continue I would like to add a few things. She filed for tourist visa and put reason for visit traveling and shopping. I know its a shot in the dark getting through POE and all but if it doesnt work out for some reason we will just look forward. Anyway I was going to ask her to marry me when she got here then go to the courthouse to actually get married then when she returned home we would be married and one step closer to end game. Im in the state of GA and wondering if her passport would be enough documentation on her part. Also would it even be worth it to wait and do K1 visa? Last question is for Robert and Shaun, have either of you been to the Atlanta "Chinatown" and can you tell me how it is or any recommendations for me and Keshu? Thanks

- Jake
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:54:47 am by AbovetheLAW »
...   ...    ...  Death! ... ... ... ... ...

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: Marrying in US
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:00:36 am »
On my way to work at this time but I will get back with you this evening. Yes, have been to Chinatown in Atlanta but we have a bi-weekly bible study and dinner in Macon every other Saturday. There is usually about 20-25 Chinese couples and students from the local colleges present also. We also have some of the Mandarin teachers that are on loan to the Bibb county school system attending the dinner too. There are a couple of places in Atlanta but they are mostly for shopping though. Little Chinatown is located up in Doraville off of I-85.

Offline AbovetheLAW

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 08:05:21 am »
Haha ok thanks Robert, looking forward to your second reply

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 08:09:27 am »
Marriage License in Georgia Requirements may vary as each county in Georgia can have their own requirements and regulations. Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Georgia. If one of the parties is a resident of Georgia, the license can be issued in any county.
If neither party is a resident of Georgia, the license must be issued in the county in which the marriage ceremony is to be performed.
 Application: A marriage license is issued based upon a written application made by the applicants, verified by oath of the applicants. Legal Requirements: Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.

1. The parties must be of sound mind, must have no living spouse from an undissolved prior marriage. 2. Persons related by blood or marriage, falling within the following relationships may not be married in Georgia:
  • father and daughter or stepdaughter
  • mother and son or stepson
  • brother and sister of the whole blood or half blood
  • grandparent and grandchild
  • aunt and nephew
  • uncle and niece
Identification Requirement:Two valid forms of id such as drivers license, birth certificate, U. S. passport, Armed Forces ID card, or Resident Alien ID card. Applicants will also be asked to fill out a brief form. Previous Marriage:If divorced within six months, you will need to show a copy of your divorce decree. Some counties require a final divorce decree no matter how long you have been divorced.  You can obtain a copy of your final divorce decree from the Superior Court in the county in which you filed for divorce. Waiting Period:There is no waiting period for getting married in Georgia. How Much a Marriage License Cost?There are two sets of fees for marriage license applications.The fee is either $56.00 (without certificate*) or $26.00 (with certificate*).  The application fee is waived when the couple seeking the license has completed a qualifying premarital education program.  A *certificate of completion of a qualifying premarital education program in accordance with Code Section 19-3-30.1 must be presented for the $35.00 application fee to be waived. In some instances, other minor charges may apply. Most probate courts accept cash, checks, and money orders but some ONLY ACCEPT CASH so please call to verify whether or not you need cash. Premarital Education:Under Georgia Law, a man and woman who present to the court at the time of making application a certificate of completion of a qualifying premarital education program shall not be assessed a marriage license fee. The premarital education shall include at least six hours of instruction involving marital issues, which may include but not be limited to conflict management, communication skills, financial responsibilities, child and parenting responsibilities, and extended family roles. The premarital education shall be completed within 12 months prior to the application for a marriage license and the couple shall undergo the premarital education together. The premarital education shall be performed by: (1) A professional counselor, social worker, or marriage and family therapist who is licensed pursuant to Chapter 10A of Title 43;
(2) A psychiatrist who is licensed as a physician pursuant to Chapter 34 of Title 43;
(3) A psychologist who is licensed pursuant to Chapter 39 of Title 43; or
(4) An active member of the clergy when in the course of his or her service as clergy or his or her designee, including retired clergy, provided that a designee is trained and skilled in premarital education.
Cobb County offers a free Marital Workshop called Focus On Forever. It is a skill-based non-religious workshop designed to address issues concerning communication and listening skills, anger management, and financial planning. Contact the Cobb County Superior Court for more information.
 By state law, counties in Georgia now charge more for a marriage license if you do not show  certification of a premarital education program.
 Other Tests: As of July 1, 2003, blood tests are no longer required in Georgia. Surname: The applicants must designate on the application the legal surname that will be used after the marriage. An applicant may choose his or her given surname or his or her surname as changed by order of the superior court, the surname from a previous marriage, the spouse's surname, or a combination of the spouse's surname and the applicant's given or changed surname or surname from a previous marriage. Common-Law Marriages:No. However, common-law marriages will be recognized in Georgia if it was created before January 1, 1997.Proxy Marriages:No. Under 18:You must be at least 16 years of age in order to obtain a license in Georgia. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, both parents and legal guardians must give their consent in person unless his/her rights have been terminated by an Order of a court. Name Change: Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed. If you need to change your last name, you can use an online marriage name change kit. Cousin Marriages: Yes. Same Sex Marriages: No.  In November, 2004, voters passed a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. More Information Officiants: Licensed or ordained ministers, clergymen, or pastors of recognized religious societies, and justices of the peace. Copy of Certificate of Marriage: Vital Records
 2600 Skyland Drive NE
 Atlanta, GA 30319-3640
 Phone: (404) 679-4701
It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.
http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/georgia/

Here some reading to keep you busy.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:49:28 am »
Since she will need two forms of identification to get married she can get her passport  and Chinese I.D. card translated and notarized in China and bring those with her to the states. Make double sure she does not mention the words marriage or work at the POE or she might be denied and sent back to China.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 11:12:28 am »
I would also suggest that these papers are kept well apart from her passport when travelling otherwise they will be highly suspicious of why she has had then notarised.

I would even consider sending the copies by Fed Ex or similar and would not travel with them in case a full search is under taken.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline AbovetheLAW

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:23:27 pm »
@ Willy and Robert gotcha. Yea we talked about it for a while and decided that filing alone would be best. I will ask her to get that I.D card now I have to figure out a way to lie about why she needs it... ;D

Offline AbovetheLAW

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 10:54:19 pm »
So it looks like my plans are dashed as Keshu has told me she will be visiting her mom before the visit and will not be in her hometown in order to get the notarized copy of translated I.D. Im not sure how much longer the fiance visa will take than the cr1 in 2014 but we have waited this long. Thanks for the support guys. :D                                                       

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »
Here is the web page for Chinatown. Not a very big place but you can get almost anything there from herbs to Peking Duck.  The food court has great food there and there is also a Chinese restaurant that serves all the authenic Chinese dishes. My wife and I prefer the food court though since one vendor specializes in "fish in hot pepper oil" which my wife loves.

http://www.atlantachinatown.com/index.html

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 11:00:29 pm »
Last fiancee visa application I worked on took about 5 months, the fiancee visa is actually the faster of the two visa processes usually.

Offline AbovetheLAW

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 11:08:44 pm »
Oh wow ok thanks Robertt. I just told her about the real chinese food and she is not very excited lol she wants to try american food the most she says... which is really a mix of different cultures, when I try to explain that to her she doesnt quite understand. We are for sure going here. Ok thats good to know about the visa. I think a proposal will do for now. Thanks again. Look for my love story post soon!

Offline AbovetheLAW

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 08:26:21 pm »
Guys!!!! She made it through poe. She is here with me now and its like a dream. Im afraid im going to forget to do something with her before I leave. Haha...