Author Topic: Working in China - no the reverse  (Read 7070 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Working in China - no the reverse
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:52:09 am »
The British Government are now employing 30 Chinese teachers from Shanghai to teach maths in English schools.
They are hoping that the high level of maths achieved by Chinese Students can be replicated in England.

Calculators in classroom are discouraged and but an abacus is welcomed. ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: Working in China - no the reverse
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:44:23 am »
I think this will not help the British students unless they also bring 30 sets of Chinese parents to train the student's parents in strict discipline methods that place study over social media, friends, and extra-curricular activities. I understand that most of their success is due to long hours of practically memorizing formulas and textbooks and that problems that require thinking outside the box is problematic for many Chinese students. You really want to watch the grades drop introduce the British students to the common core trash that most of the schools here have adopted but are trying to get rid of now.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:19 pm »
Yes their system of learning but not really understanding is something I came across when I first employed teachers to teach me Chinese.  They tried to use the same method on me however I finally found one that taught the way I wanted and she has been teaching me for more than a year now.

If anyone can get into Hunan TV then there is a new series started there and it is a 'fly on the wall' programe about grade one kids having just started school. They have camera's everywhere, in the class room, dining room, bedrooms and anywhere else with a cameramen following. It is on for two hours at a time.

The kids, 7 year olds, go to school on Sunday night and return home on Friday night and those two days at home are spent with their parents cramming in more knowledge. They have no time for social interaction or for simply being kids. At least the teachers at the school try to bring a little fun into the days away from home. But at the same time the fun is also designed to bring competitiveness into the leisure time.

Probably Philips knows more about this with his teaching here.

Willy

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:57:50 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline maxx

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:38:32 am »
As most of you know. I have five kids all together 4 boys and one girl. The Three oldest one girl two boys. Are all on the honor roll in there schools. My daughter is 23. From first grade all the way through college. She has ben on the honor role. She is on a full ride scholarship to the university of Ark.

My oldest boy is 21. It has ben the same for him honor role all through school .He is on a full ride scholarship to Ark tec.

My 6 year old is on the honor role. When he was in Kindergarten. The school was talking about. Skipping him a grade. They didn't so now he is way ahead of his classmates. They give him special homework and more advanced words to spell. He reads at a third grade level. knows all his adding and subtraction. And is learning to speak three different languages.

With my two oldest. We picked there teachers in elementary school. With are 6 year old we don't. The two oldest played sports, Hung out at the beach in Florida. And just messed around. When they weren't in school. The 6 year old plays on the computer. And jumps around and plays with his little brothers.

So how do's a guy that can barely speak English. And dam sure can't write it. Get 3 kids. That are such good students?

Cut them some slack when they need it. Encourage them to always try. And be willing to help them. When they need the help. Even when it is inconvienent for you. It doesn't matter if your sick, tired,or occupied with something else. The most important thing is the kids.

I have seen these special schools and special classes. They aren't worth the money you dropped on them. If the kid doesn't have the support and encouragement at home. If your nagging the shit out of them to do better in school. Grounding them because it is tough to get them to do there homework. That isn't supporting them. It's nagging the shit out of them till they, act out in defiance.

I can't prove this. But I think it al starts at day one. The first day all my kids were born. I would pick them up, and I would lay down with them on my chest. And watch them try to lift there heads. It usually takes a few tries to get there heads up. But when they do. You tell them what a good job they just did. And as they get older, you celebrate every little accomplishment. And encourage them more.

a good example

Meghan 23- walked at 11 months talked at 22 months

Cody  21 walked at 12 months talked at 23 months.

Tristan 6 walked at 10 months talked at 3 years old.

Conner 4 walked at 11 months talked at 2 1/2 years

AJ 2 1/2 walked at 13 months talked at 2 years old.

It took Tristan 3 years to talk because he was hearing 2 different languages. The kid didn't go to pre school. Conner is on his second year of pre school. Because he wanted to go to school when he was 3.

it all comes down to encouragement and more encouragement from the first day that  they are born.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 02:24:18 am »
My wife has a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have a degree in Chemical Engineering. In terms of intrinsic knowlege and instinctive understanding of our subjects, we are not on the same Planet.
Ming can qote (literally) page after page of numerous text books, in face she can probably quote from memory every text book she ever needed to graduate. But.......step outside this narrow arc and she flounders. There seems to be very little attention given in her education to the ability to think and puzzle through situations that are outside of the text books but within her sphere of activity.

She is now doing a Diploma in Early Childhood Education (on the way to being a Teacher) and her "traditional Chinese" learning practice wont work. Now she is expected to "think outside the square" as she works through the assignments. She has immense difficulty with this, its not in her mental portfolio.

I have no doubts whatsoever over her IQ, she is as clever as she needs to be...and of course she is as street smart as any chinese woman...and just as feisty  ;D ;D but she has never been trained to think.....

I am sure that the Chinese Education system turns out millions of graduates each year....but in Aus, a Chinese Bachelor Degree is assessed as year 1 University level when submitted to the Official assessors (this is mandatory for entry to Aus University.)

I reckon this is why so many Chinese kids are flogging themselves with education activity 24/7...its not that they are stupid and have to work mega-hard to compete, rather that they are required to memorise so much crap to stay at the top. Pity such effort could not be better directed to more appropriate learning skills...not just rote.