Author Topic: Roast Duck you say?  (Read 3745 times)

Offline shaun

Roast Duck you say?
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:49:32 pm »
Well for Thanksgiving I am doing something a little different.  The traditional thing is that I will be getting up early to smoke a turkey but along with that I will be roasting my first duck Canton style.

I've had quite a time talking with my wife on how to do this.  First my wife was horrified that I can't buy a duck with it's head and neck still attached.  I told her you can't buy any dead animal in America with its head attached, even a fish in most places.

She wanted me to put the stuffing inside the duck and sew up it's back side.  Then she wanted me to put the hose of a bicycle pump into it's mouth and blow up the abdomen.  Well I found way too much humor in this and I was severely rebuked for it.

I told her that I would do everything but apply the air.  She didn't like the idea.  I asked her, if a duck is missing its head and neck how is one to tie it off to keep the air inside?"  I told her that I would speak for 2 hours while I cooked it and that should be sufficient hot air for the subject at hand.  She didn't understand as usual.

Needless to say I will be roasting a duck tomorrow morning minus the air.  ;D

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Roast Duck you say?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:21:50 pm »
  I told her you can't buy any dead animal in America with its head attached, even a fish in most places.

Not that fresh then ??? You mean that chicken, ducks etc are not running around your kitchen moments before they give their last cluck or quack!!!! Oops sorry I lived here to long I think. ;D 

But even so  I still cannot get used to the head staring at me as it is stood up on the serving platter before the fight for its brains take place.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:18 pm »
Yes I remember the first time my wife sucked the brains out of the skull of a bird.  A pigeon no less.  I just about threw up right there.  After I recovered a little I told her I would not be kissing her that night.  It got quite a chuckle from every Chinese person at the table.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 12:40:05 am »
Yes I remember the first time my wife sucked the brains out of the skull of a bird.  A pigeon no less.  I just about threw up right there.  After I recovered a little I told her I would not be kissing her that night.  It got quite a chuckle from every Chinese person at the table.

A Pigeon brain eh!

Was she cooing all night? Or did it help help find her way home ok?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 01:26:42 am »
Hey Shaun, We can get duck here in the Denver area with the head still attached. Pacific ocean seafood market has them hanging on hooks in the window.  Maybe its just a local thing.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:10:52 am »
This place in Doraville has whole roast ducks hanging in the windows also. It is located inside the food court. We usually make a couple of trips each year to replenish the wife's medicine cabinet and kitchen herbs.  http://www.atlantachinatown.com/

Offline maxx

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:00:55 pm »
99 market in Abq has them Year around. If there is a 99 market near you they will  have them hanging back there in the deli section

Arnold

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:24:37 pm »
..as Maxx mentioned, 99 Ranch Market has them hanging around their Store... just like "I" hang around my LaoPo all day! :P
We have Turkey plus Qing's special Smoked (no Duck) Loin Backribs at my Uncle's house. 25 People are expected, quiet a scene for a Sit-down Dinner..haha!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Friends here!!!!

Offline shaun

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 02:43:49 pm »
Willy, we at the pigeon at a restaurant in Guangzhou.  I was eating what I thought was a very small chicken at least that was what I was told.  I happened to look at the menu again and to my surprise  :o a pigeon.  I lost my appetite.  I won't go into what happened that night just suffice it to say we've had pigeon on a regular basis since then.  ;D

Robert I've been to the market in Doraville.  It is quite impressive but I don't remember seeing duck with the head still attached but I'll check it out next time.

I've not seen anything here locally though I have to say that I haven't been to all of the Asian store yet.  They are mostly Korean but we do have 1 Chinese store.  No duck.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:17:02 pm by shaun »