Author Topic: Time in Hospital  (Read 5674 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Time in Hospital
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:54:55 am »
Those who have visited me in recent months will know that a previous back injury had returned and I had been walking with at least one walking stick, sometimes two.   This had been going on for some time and gradual got worse and it  resulted in me having difficulty getting in and out of the car. Really painful getting in and out of bed and when I saw the doctors a couple of weeks ago it took three people to get me on the examination couch! I think my cries of woe almost emptied the department! :-[

I have now been in the local hospital for a week. 

I say a week in hospital really it was 5 days and it was from 7.30am until 5.30 pm every day. As we live 5 minutes from the hospital I decided I would sleep in my own bed at nights.
I was having up to 12 different treatments a day and in between the various tests, ultra Scan, CT Scan, MRI, Xray (several times), blood urine and yes a stool test as well.  I would receive a good massage following by a steam bed.  Probably my least favourite was the acupuncture that I had to endure every day.

The nurse and doctors all had a translate facility on the phones so I was kept inform of every stage of the treatment.

Today was my last day at the hospital and I must say it was almost a pleasure to be attending it. I now have no back pain and can jump in and out of bed with ease.

Of course I had to pay for it and it was a private room.  The total cost was less than one flight to the UK where I could have had it done for free but with anything up to 6 months wait for a bed after seeing the first doctor  and then having the treatment spread over several weeks. What I had done in a week was probably a year long process in a free UK Hospital.

I cannot fault my treatment here. (Mind you the two doctors I saw the week before both advised me to return to the UK if an operation had been required.)

My wife has done some sort of deal with the masseur who will come to the house over the coming weeks to consolidate the progress.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
Re: Time in Hospital
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:56:00 pm »
Sorry to hear that you were "hospitalised"...but happy all now seems well !!...I guess there is still a bit of life left in the old carcase after all   ;D ;D

I just got home from Hospital myself yesterday.....I had a small spot on my nose that looked like an insect bite, but it would not go away. After some tests it was found to be malignant (too much Sun for too many years !!!) It had spread into my nasal cavity and into my sinuses. I had extensive plastic surgery and now look like something out of Frankenstein !!

I am told all was successful and I will eventually regain most of my charming good looks !!

But it is a grim reminder that old age sucks and you never know what is around the corner waiting to bite you !!

Cheers

David

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:53:24 pm »
Well not sure that I could have taken your news as well as you have.

At least when I went in I roughly new what was wrong as it had first happened before I moved here and new what the result should be.  My only disfiguration is a small bruise on my arm where the last blood test was taken.

Something to look forward to guys.  I doubt if any of you feel old yet but one day you wake up and find you really have passed 70. 
That is about the same time as things wane a little. 

But at the same time I give thanks for even reaching this age - many are not as fortunate.   

My wife has been a dream through the past couple of months though and I am glad I took her advice (Instructions) and finally went to the hospital.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 12:36:38 pm »
hey Willy,
That is good news!
We had our “pm” some months ago if you remember. I had mentioned my m-i-l's lung cancer. It was reassuring when you
mentioned hospital care has significantly improved the past few years. So, you are living proof of an improved Chinese health
care system!
As for me, when I am with my wife in China, my blood pressure lowers significantly from it's elevated levels. Go figure. I know
it is not diet related as my cholesterol is low. Must be all this Western life style stress! Perhaps it is just me.

kind of funny, a 'normal thought' of the day should be..."I think all this fuss about same sex marriage is over
blown. There should be more of a concern about two ugly people marrying and breeding. Now that makes sense to me. Just saying!"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:47:32 pm by JohnB »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 08:29:44 am »
I am Glad Willy that your back on your feet again, your back in action, and hopefully.... you never look back at a bad back! You must have been happy that your new place comes with an elevator, since I imagine the old place, with its flight of stairs, would have made your pre hospital care, that much more the difficult.

But now I bet, you are back popping wheels on your trike!
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances