Author Topic: Happy Chinese New Year to Everyone!  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Happy Chinese New Year to Everyone!
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:47:36 am »
Welcome to the year of the Monkey! Went to our local Chinese function tonight!

Offline Scottish_Robbie

Re: Happy Chinese New Year to Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:08:11 pm »
Same to you and yours Robert
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:53:07 pm »
Thanks Scottish_ Robbie, hope everything is going good for you and your family.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:29 am »
Yes - Happy New Year of just Hanging around eating bananas.

We went to a New Years party the weekend before Chinese New year, went to a second one New Year's Eve ( I'm still waiting for my wife to forward the picture with myself in a similar red Chinese jacket as dapper Robertt)), and this coming weekend my wife will be performing at another one.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:31:28 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:33:39 pm »
That was a Christmas and Chinese New Year that I want to forget! :'(

Christmas Day (why does America insist on call it a Holiday and not Christmas).

Anyway Christmas evening we had friends round to dinner for a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings.  I was feeling a bit warm during the day and indulged in a couple of glasses of cold water during the meal. Just after we finished eating I just started shaking and within 30 minutes I ended up on the floor not being able to move my legs very much.  The word STROKE was going through my mind.  When the ambulance arrived the two small attendants and the nurse were unable to get me up onto a stretcher so two of our complex security men came to assist.

I was whisked off to hospital where I spent the night. They decided that the cold I thought I had was more than that and it was a fever.  Overnight they filled me with various drips and my temp dropped back to normal and next day I went home relieved that my 'stroke' was not so.

All was well until just before Chinese New Year when I thought I had another cold. A bowl of Cheerios for breakfast with half a litre of cold milk out of the fridge went down well. That is for about 20 minutes. The next thing I was back on the floor again and I could not get up.

Anyway again the ambulance arrived and I spent the next 24 hours in hospital this time I was throwing up the Cheerios and feeling worse than I ever did before.  Going through my head was not Cheerio's it was 'is this Goodbye!'  Even my wife fell in with my feeling and was crying all the way to hospital!

Anyway 24 hours later my blood tests, ecg and everything else detected nothing and the fever was reduced to normal and I was sent home after it was explained to me that my habit of taking very cold drinks was the cause.  So as ther pessimist that I am the relive was that I had not had a stroke.

And on both occasions not a drop of beer or sprits pased my lips.

However there was one difference this time in so much that when they struggled to get me off the floor onto the ambulance stretcher the person holding my ankles was so fearful of dropping me that he overdid his grip and the ligament and tendon just above my right ankle were torn. The result is now three weeks or more of hobbling around on a walking frame.

So from now on in the Winter months I will do what I am advised and keep off the very cold drinks, especially when the weather has been the coldest here for 60 years.

That is now the third time I was in hospital here and I have nothing but praise for them.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 08:32:49 pm »
Glad to hear that you are doing better now, hopefully you will not have anymore of these episodes. Did the doctors say exactly how the ingestion of cold liquids caused these reactions? With the amount of fortitude and determination you possess it shouldn't be very long before you are out and about strolling around the neighborhood again! Wishing you a fast recovery!

Robert

Offline kenny

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:21:09 am »
Glad you are feeling better too. After reading your post I thought it was strange that they said cold drinks would cause something like that.

After a couple days I thought my wife will not drink cold drinks either. Allot of the time she will heat water just to have a drink. She also tells me not to drink cold drinks too. I always thought it was just her way but maybe there is something to this but I have never heard of this at all.

That being said if she trys to get me to drink warm beer then we will be butting heads!

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:00:20 pm »
Glad you are feeling better too. After reading your post I thought it was strange that they said cold drinks would cause something like that.

After a couple days I thought my wife will not drink cold drinks either. Allot of the time she will heat water just to have a drink. She also tells me not to drink cold drinks too. I always thought it was just her way but maybe there is something to this but I have never heard of this at all.

That being said if she trys to get me to drink warm beer then we will be butting heads!
Don't forget this is China. Many things happen here that occur no where else. ::) ;D

The problem I have only occurs in Winter when it is cold.  I am told that it will not happen once the weather warms up. This year I have been quite cold at times as it has been the coldest in South East China for 60 years. 

As spring is officially here then maybe I will find out. 

It could be that I may only be able to drink cold beer whilst in bed. Then I won't collapse to the floor. ;D After just one that is.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:05 am »

It could be that I may only be able to drink cold beer whilst in bed. Then I won't collapse to the floor. ;D After just one that is.

Willy

Then could this not be considered as ....... Ale Ails  :o

Hopefully no more hospital visits for you.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 05:06:07 pm »
Willy, I have never heard of this before. Being an American everything I drink is cold except coffee. It never bothered me. Sometime ice cream will make feel a little cold but nothing like your experience.  Dont attribute it to old age. There may be some other cause. An over active thyroid can cause symptoms like that. You might get a full physical when your able to get back to a western Hospital.

I hope you are on the path to recovery.   Gerry
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:56:48 pm »
Willy, I have never heard of this before. Being an American everything I drink is cold except coffee. It never bothered me. Sometime ice cream will make feel a little cold but nothing like your experience.  Dont attribute it to old age. There may be some other cause. An over active thyroid can cause symptoms like that. You might get a full physical when your able to get back to a western Hospital.

I hope you are on the path to recovery.   Gerry

it was because I had some sort of bug that gave me the fever. The sudden coldness reacted against it.  So in winter months not taking any chances. ;)

I can live without cold drinks for a couple of months without contradicting a very caring wife.  Spring is just round the corner. :)

As for getting a check in western hospital there is no point in going back to UK for that. Although it is free there it can take three months or more for an initial hospital appointment. There has been so many people arrived there from the European Union in recent years that the system cannot cope.

They have a 'here today gone tomorrow transient' Prime minister who has already declared he will not fight another election so what does he care! :o

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JohnB

• the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 07:58:10 pm »

Whatever you wanted to know about Chinese New Year
https://chinesenewyear2018.com/

Check the "21 Things You Didn't Know About Chinese New Year
https://chinesenewyear2018.com/21-things-you-didnt-know-about-chinese-new-year/

Wow! It is the “Year of the Dog”. Shit, I was born in the year of the dog. I don't know is this is good luck or bad.

Anyway, I was just tooling around the site & decided to add this posting about the Chinese New Year for 2018, which of course begins on 16 February.

My wife goes nuts over this day. Lots of relatives to visit Fushun... preparation weeks in advance. Kind of weird, this is also the “Spring Festival”. A few years back, it was around -15f (-26c) there. So much for budding flowers in N.E. China.

Hopefully Willy has a safe & pleasant holiday this year.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:08:21 pm by JohnB »