Author Topic: Chinese New Year (Spring Festival)  (Read 9814 times)

Offline JohnB

• the less traveled road has made all the difference
Chinese New Year (Spring Festival)
« on: January 04, 2017, 12:10:31 am »
2017 Chinese New Year will fall on January 28. It is the Year of the Rooster according to Chinese zodiac.

Chinese New Year, also called Spring Festival, has more than 4,000 years of history. It is the grandest and the most important annual event for Chinese people.

Time for Family Reunion
Being one of the traditional festivals, it is the time for the whole families to reunite together, which is similar with Christmas Day to the westerners.

The Longest Public Holiday
The festival lasts for 15 days from the 1st to 15th day of the first lunar month, and in folklore it starts even earlier, from the 23rd day of the twelfth lunar month. Most employees will have seven days off work, while students take one month absence from school.

Holiday Origins from Monster Nian
Originating during the Shang Dynasty (17th - 11th century BC), the festival used to be observed to fight against the monster "Nian" who liked to eat children and livestock. The monster was afraid of red color and loud sound. Therefore, people decorated their houses in red and set off firecrackers to expel it.

Year of the Rooster
The Year of the Rooster will start from Jan. 28, 2017 (Chinese New Year) and last to Feb. 15, 2018.
Rooster is the tenth in the 12-year cycle of Chinese zodiac sign. The Years of the Rooster include 1921, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005, 2017, 2029...
Rooster is almost the epitome of fidelity and punctuality. For ancestors who had no alarm clocks, the crowing was significant, as it could awaken people to get up and start to work. In Chinese culture, another symbolic meaning of chicken carries is exorcising evil spirits.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/social_customs/zodiac/rooster.htm
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/holidays/spring-festival.htm

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:40:54 am by JohnB »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Chinese New Year (Spring Festival)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 01:31:52 am »
For the coming Lunar New Year it was announced yesterday that the authorities are planning for more than one billion journey's to be made in that period.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JohnB

• the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:18 pm »
a bit more info on Chinese New Year

Why Is Chinese New Year on the Date It Is?
Like Christmas/New Year in other countries, Chinese New Year is simply a much-needed winter holiday at an auspicious time.
Rest Before a New Farming Year
Chinese New Year was set to coincide with the slack time just before a new year of farm work begins, as a time of preparation.
When most Chinese were farmers this made sense. Now 55% of China's population is urban (a generation ago it was 25%), but 100+ million return to their rural roots for CNY.
Chinese traditionally celebrated the start of a new year of farm work, and wished/prayed for a good harvest. This has now evolved into celebrating the start of a new business year and wishing for profits and success in various vocations.
The Traditional 'Start of Spring'
China's traditional solar calendar's first solar term is called 'Start of Spring', hence the "Spring Festival" — another name for Chinese New Year.
'Start of Spring' precedes the start of spring weather for much of China, starting about February 5, and the lunar calendar year always starts within half a month of that.
http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/festivals/spring-festival/chinese-zodiac-years-of-2011-to-2020.htm

The preparation starts seven days before the Chinese New Year's Eve, and the holiday celebration will last to the Lantern Festival on the 15th day of the first lunar month. Following a day-by-day guide, Chinese people have different things to do on each day. Among these days, the Eve and the first day are the peak time, when people will have big dinners and set off fireworks.
Before the Spring Festival, every family will have a thorough house cleanup and go for festival items shopping. The spring couplets, Fu Character, and animal paper cut are pasted for decoration. Also, new clothes must be bought, especially for children. At the reunion dinner on Lunar New Year's Eve, people from north will eat dumplings, which southern people are used to have Niangao (glutinous rice cake). Red Envelopes are given to kids and elders to share the blessing.
New practices and activities take place as some old traditions fade away. The train and bus tickets can be scarcely purchased during the Spring Festival Travel Rush; newlyweds squabble over whose home to go; bachelors are so anxious and stressed that they rent a fake girlfriend home; socializing by phones are highly welcomed.
At the start of a Lunar New Year, Chinese people will take their daily practices as predictive signs for the coming year. Many bad words like "death", "broken", "killing", "ghost" and "illness" or "sickness" are forbidden during conversations. Crying, washing, lending and taking medicine are also considered unlucky.
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/holidays/spring-festival.htm

kind of funny.. in the West we think "Spring" is associated with the equinox in March. now I understand the "why" of the time of Chinese New Year. my wife & family thataway started their preparations many days ago. they will have a number of visitors visiting.. the longer distance relatives staying many days at the rural farm in Fushun.
I was always told that HongKong is THE place to be, but I have re- arranged my brain's furniture. I think the whole of China must be a helluva party.

I think the mention of +100mil China people on the go is grossly understated. I am thinking here in America, we have that number, probably more, people on the go at Christmas time.
maybe someone can correct this for us.
Willy, 1 billion?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:49:22 pm by JohnB »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 10:54:50 am »
新年快乐
Chinese New Year 2021 – Year of the Ox

My wife keeps needling me to become more Chinese, so with my departure from the oil & gas industry (27 years) and loss of my job, I have returned to school. Apparently being Caucasian isn't enough for her, so I have enrolled into an Acupuncture school and have 3 years of studying for me new carrier. That's right, I'm learning to be able to be a real prick!

My hope is that all is well for all of you and in this year of the Ox gives reason to enjoy our steaks. Happy New Year All.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances