Author Topic: Qing Ming Festival  (Read 4932 times)

Offline David

Qing Ming Festival
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:26:44 pm »
So did everyone's Lady travel home this weekend for the Qin Min Festival?  My Lady did, she said her family does go to the grave of her father
to worship on Tomb Sweeping Day.  This festival very much reminds me of the Day of the Dead holiday in Mexico.  I have also read that people
will fly kites at night with lights on the strings to connect with their ancestors.  I'll bet that is a very beautiful sight seeing everyone flying
lighted kites in the night sky.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
Re: Qing Ming Festival
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:21:04 pm »
Yeah Dave , My Lao Po lives here in the states now but we went to my fathers grave and cleaned it up, placed small paper bowls of rice and wine for him along with incense, at night we did fly a kite with a small light inside the box kite, we were not the only ones there, most have been 10 to 15 kites up and it was very pretty to see, I think my dad would have like it. :)
After we flew our kite we were invited to have a meal with a family, the girls were chattering very loudly and just having a wonderful time being Chinese, :shock:   our two families are planning to go to the shore together for a weekend this summer. :D
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. :roll:
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline David

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:32:43 pm »
Not at all Micheal!  It is great to hear!  Thank you for responding!  I am hoping to
make friends here in San Diego so we can all do things together, and our wives
will also become friends! :D

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:20:06 pm »
Quote from: "David"
Not at all Micheal!  It is great to hear!  Thank you for responding!  I am hoping to
make friends here in San Diego so we can all do things together, and our wives
will also become friends! :D

That would be nice my friend, if I ever get the time.
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline Danny

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:45:29 am »
Quote from: "David"
So did everyone's Lady travel home this weekend for the Qin Min Festival?  My Lady did, she said her family does go to the grave of her father
to worship on Tomb Sweeping Day.  This festival very much reminds me of the Day of the Dead holiday in Mexico.  I have also read that people
will fly kites at night with lights on the strings to connect with their ancestors.  I'll bet that is a very beautiful sight seeing everyone flying
lighted kites in the night sky.

Yes, the lady I'm writing to at the moment went back to her hometown to sweep her ancestor's graves. It is a day to remember and honor one's ancestors at grave sites. They pray before their ancestor's tomb and also keep the grave site clear, like to get rid of the weed and leaves. Then offer some foods and pilgrim paper. It takes about half a day to do all this.

Nowadays many people take this festival holiday as a visiting opportunity. They can take a visit to the relatives or friends who haven't got together for a long time.

For country people, Qingming is the time for outings and the time to start the spring ploughing.

Danny