Author Topic: Typhoon Hato  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Typhoon Hato
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:57 pm »
Wow what a day yesterday was.  Woke up as day broke with our bathroom Expel fan screaming like a WW2 siren!  Had to use duct tape to ensure the cover stayed close.

It was not long before the videos started to be shared on Wechat showing multiude of small and large vans being blown over and damage being caused to buildings.

Twelve hours later darkness came and the 120+ mph wind dropped.   We had spent the day watching trees falling and branches being blown right across and out of view.  Three tower cranes on adjoining sites spent the day spinning round like hands of a clock.   A variety of rubbish passing to and fro past our fourth floor apartment was amusing at first but that wore thin as our balcony gradually was covered in leaves and other debris.

We have had the odd storm before but this was something special now it is over and we can now clearly see the damage just in our complex.

Deaths in other places but thankfully no one near here.

As this was said to have been the second most deadly Typhoon to ever hit South China then I probably will never see the like again.

Willy the Londoner
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:59:42 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: Typhoon Hato
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:38:52 pm »
I am glad to see you and your wife are safe. Now you can set out on the balcony and watch the massive cleanup when it begins!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:35:15 pm »
Whatever we went through last week it compares very little with the devastation that continues in Texas.

Before it is considered more expediant to build a wall to stop the flow of Mexicans from getting it should it not be more appropriate to build to stop the flow of water through homes.

Willy
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:40:13 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JohnB

• the less traveled road has made all the difference
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:58:49 am »
I expect weather extremes to worsen in the future.
+95% of the world's climatologists say we have been upping the average temperature thresholds (by man made global warmth)
as we continue on. This year and last year, two of the hottest years as recorded, with all the empirical data
gathered by observation, & with all available advanced technologies, something is definitely wrong. I bank my trust on
what the scientists are saying. what we are witnessing is only the beginning of the coming worst, if we do nothing about it.     

the sad thing is that, climate change deniers, like the f*cking Koch bros. & our orange headed president Trump, have their
dubious business & political agendas. a lot of people believe these assholes and that just complicates our journey into
the future. their climate shell game shit is not worth the gamble.

https://www.ecowatch.com/heartland-institute-climate-science-2334892782.html 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/05/31/why-nicaragua-and-syria-didnt-join-the-paris-climate-accord/?utm_term=.7e9e40af1af3
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:23:55 am by JohnB »