Author Topic: Money and Food  (Read 5659 times)

Vince G

RE: Money and Food
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 06:55:53 pm »
I spoke to Song this weekend (Sat/Sun) she's in the hospital, Anal Fissure? Looked it up didn't know the word at all. Anyway why I'm bringing this up was I asked about the food there. She said she buys the food in the hospital restaurant? I tried to understand what she was saying? I sent an EMF about it to clarify. Does anyone know? I can't see how people leave their hospital bed to go eat?

Even with this she was concerned about my meals and sleeping? She even made a joke in a very witty way (like I do). She said I don't sleep enough, I should sleep 7-8 hours. (I can't) So I said maybe when we're together I will stay in bed longer. She laughed and then came back with..oohhh no sleep in bed. (we won't be sleeping :icon_biggrin:) She laughed so hard I heard others in the room start laughing too.  

But she knows not to sneak in any strange foods when she will cook for me. Made sure well in advance.

Vince G

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 07:22:14 pm »
Thanks Mike. I have to say when I called Saturday and she said she's in the hospital and when she tried to explain what it was? she had the word anal? but couldn't say the second word and the only thing that came to mind was cancer. (Farrah Fawcett) and my heart, jaw and everything else dropped. But then she found the words and looked it up. She also was saying other things I can't understand? She might go home after they change the machine? That was the reason for calling today she said she would be home? But she wasn't. I don't know I asked her to explain it all in the EMF. She might be there till Thursday? But she seemed in good sprits and even brought her Besta along to study english with. Other people in the room asked what it was. So yeah I was worried and still am. But she seemed like it was no bother? So I hope she's right.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:24:00 pm by Vince G »

Offline Ed W

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 07:49:27 pm »
This may sound funny but I've got a chewing gum I'm quite fond of and brought some. My wife liked it so much she consumed the rest of my pack before I realized it. haha.

Some things are likely harmless to bring in but I'd avoid fruits for sure.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Arnold

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 09:15:02 pm »
Vince , a Anal Fissure is a Tear in that area . So not much to worry my Friend . It will be more embarrassing than anything else .

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 09:51:26 am »
Should I take chocolate and Sweets (confectionery) chewing gum over, remember guy's I'm from the UK?

Vince sorry to hear about Song, hope she gets better soon mate....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:54:27 am by Scottish_Rob »

Vince G

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 10:31:16 am »
I think it comes down to anything grown, fruits, flowers, and foods are not allowed to be brought in (any country I know of) because they could have diseases, bugs or both on them. Chocolates and chewing gum are processed and packaged. They had a show here that I think the name of it was "Boarders" or "Boarder patrol"? Where they followed a few of the officers for a day or two. You would be surprised what people send in the mail, or try to bring into the country. Some kind of meat? sent in the mail, not frozen or even chilled to keep it? Stuffed into a box in a plastic bag. Anyway you have to do a check list for customs and one of the questions is if you are carrying any fruits etc. either way it's not getting in.

Offline China Shark

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 01:21:50 pm »
Vince, try not to fret. The Chinese put you in the hospital with the slightest problems. The fissure like Arnold said is just like an hemaroid just a little further up. Nothing serious at all. Besides these women are much tougher than we will ever be in life. They endure child birth so they are built much tougher. They whine and complain they we do. It's better that she is in a medical facility than at home where she might be 30 minutes away from treatment.
Shark
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:48 pm »
Vince, she will be ok.  But it is hard to be 15000 miles away and not be able to at least hold her hand.

Getting back to the money. The best exchange rate i got was from my bank prior to leaving.  The last time I think I got 6.75,  But the Bank of China did pretty well also.  They gave me 6.6.  The first trip I did not even think about it until I got to the airport in Atlanta, They pretty much raped me with 4.5 plus a percentage.   The ATM's there dont give a great rate either.  But it is acceptable. at 6.0 (This was in March of this year).  The current rate for USD is 6.83 the Euro rate is 1 Euro is 9.62 Yuan or RMB (same thing)
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Agarn

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 03:42:22 pm »
never, never, never change money at an airport, you will get the worst rates possible

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 04:05:35 pm »
I tried getting money before leaving last time but was told it was impossible to get Chinese notes in a bank outside of China?? Its certainly impossible in any Irish bank, I probably tried them all.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Chad

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 10:27:04 pm »
Before I went I bought money over the internet and the exchange rate was almost as good as it was in China. It was an off chute company that was linked to AAA travel. It might be worth a try. They would even buy the money back if you did not use it all in China. Of course that was a slim to none chance of bringing any back. I brought a little back for my sons collection but that was all.

Vince G

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 12:02:30 am »
Well got my answers as she always does. The main question was the Machine that had to be changed? The food? in the hospital and the last was what happen? So I'll let her tell you in her own words...

I wanted to say I go there to change medicine. And you know, machine and medicine are very similar to each other, so I said it wrong, I am sorry for it, my darling! The doctor told me that I should go there to change medicine every day, which lasts for a week!

My darling, I want to be honest with you, so I want to tell everything about myself to you, too! I have had a small operation and you even can not see a scar, as it's in the use of laser! :) hehe

My darling, there is a dining hall in the hospital, and you know, the patients who can walk will go there to eat by themselves, and the ones who can not will be took care of by their families and of course, the food will be sent to them by their families! and I don't know how to say the dining hall, so I said resturant.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 01:07:43 am »
Good news Vince.  Glad things are going to be alright.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Darius

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 05:30:21 am »
I wonder how easy a few words can change the entire reflection of a message. Happy with you Vince.

Vince G

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 09:32:33 am »
Well it is really rare that a misunderstanding happens. The last phone call was full of them but we put anything with a question into an EMF after the call. Like we did this one. We even for the first time came to who is right over the word "Couple" She read a sentence... nobody's lived here for a couple of years. She said the word couple in her dictionary said it was several. I said no it is two, a couple, 2. The word for 3 or more is "Few" She said No, I said Yes... She then said OK dictionary is wrong. :icon_biggrin: See we're both stubborn. haha

The thing I learned from the call most was about the food at a hospital? If you don't have family? You don't eat? Just shows how dependent they are on family.