Author Topic: Question about Chinese Hotels  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Freddie

Question about Chinese Hotels
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:12 pm »
I was on a website a while ago for GreenTreeInn Hotels. When I entered the dates for my stay a message came up saying the maximum stay is 10 nights(I'd entered 12). Is there some sort of regulation on this in China? Perhaps the hotel chain has a policy.  Another funny thing - I mentioned it to my woman and asked if she could contact them locally to inquire about it. She said she would. Two weeks later when I reminded her the reply was "don't worry about hotels. Go to website X for a list of good places to stay". Hmmm. Skullduggery or just a change of translators? At least one of those replies was not from her.

Freddie.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
RE: Question about Chinese Hotels
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:37:00 pm »
No there is no minimum stay 100% certain on that.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:46:42 pm »
Most hotels do this.  I go to school for 10 weeks at a time (apprenticeship) and the online booking only allows 10 days but I called the hotel and they booked me for the whole 10 weeks.  You may not be able to book online for 12 nights so just phone them or book for 10 nights and ask to extend your stay once you check in.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:51:20 am »
Now here's a question that I will need to ask Keren,

"She booked the hotel for us for 11 nights, now we are getting married, I will be moving into her house (hehe I'm assuming hehe)..That means we will not need to use the hotel for all those nights, will we get a refund?".

Sorry guy's my TSS kicking in...LOL (TSS, Tight Scotsman Syndrome):angel:

Offline Freddie

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:08:00 pm »
Gents, thanks for your feedback. It seemed like a funny regulation. I'd considered the 'extension once I'm there' approach. If it was doable. Now I'm sure that's what I'll do. Thanks again.

Freddie.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 12:32:34 pm »
Already paid for it in advance mate........Don't know if got discount Keren never said...
Oh I got my invitation letter from her and spoke with her this morning, well yahoo'ed each other;-)) It 'felt' good...:icon_biggrin:

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 01:26:17 pm »
May just use it for our honeymoon period, and we can go everywhere.....:blush:

Decided to do it early mate because I had the money at the time, then all I had to worry about was the spending lolly, remember at that time it was just going to be a visit...God the spending has shy rocketed...lol

I know Jessica will get you two a really nice place mate, you can have no worries on that score....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:29:24 pm by Scottish_Rob »

David5o

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:52:22 am »
Visiting China for the First Time??

One point, i think all of you that have never been to China before, should be very aware of.  ''Do Not Under Any Circumstances'' drink the water straight from the tap. It has gone through only minimal treatment processing.  That goes for hotels as well as Private dwellings.

Some hotels ( mainly the big named hotels) will have their own water treatment processing plant, and the water will generally be safe to drink, but ASK the receptionist First. Maybe only special outlets and water fountains will have safe water, these will be situated in the lobby and the corridors on each floor of the hotel. If not sure or can't get any straight answers, ...stick to the bottled water available everywhere....

Same warning goes for ICE, especially in bars and restaurants, ASK if the water used to make the ice has been first boiled (you can bet your shirt, it's not bottled water! ...hahaha!!). Nobody I'm sure wants a dose of the Shanghai trots during there trip, .....Right???

David.....

Offline Freddie

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:48:28 pm »
David50 - excellent advice when and whereever people travel. I made it through 15 nights of a 16 night stay in Acapulco years ago. Thought I was golden. Wrong. Night 16 - sheer hell.  

Freddie.

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 02:12:32 pm »
Quote from: 'Freddie' pid='8639' dateline='1247704452'

I was on a website a while ago for GreenTreeInn Hotels. When I entered the dates for my stay a message came up saying the maximum stay is 10 nights(I'd entered 12). Is there some sort of regulation on this in China? Perhaps the hotel chain has a policy.  Another funny thing - I mentioned it to my woman and asked if she could contact them locally to inquire about it. She said she would. Two weeks later when I reminded her the reply was "don't worry about hotels. Go to website X for a list of good places to stay". Hmmm. Skullduggery or just a change of translators? At least one of those replies was not from her.

Freddie.

The only thing I can think of is if you were not on the hotels site and on the site of one of the discounters they may have just not had that many days available since they but in blocks and not a nite at a time.
Jimmy Henson

Offline Freddie

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 02:23:54 pm »
Hi Jimmy. Thanks. No it ws the chain's website. Previous posts to this thread have confirmed other guys are familiar with this happening.
Bass fishing in California? The best? Don't let the good ole boys hear you say that.

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 04:50:06 pm »
If you have to pay for a hotel up front they will re-credit your account back the remaining balance. This is what happened for me at least. Thats if you use a credit card. I stayed in a lot of hotels in China, also another hotel note is that if you have a double bed room for some reason you will have to pay a 100 RMB deposit generally for the extra bed for 2 people staying in the room. You will recieve it back in the morning.

Have your girl barter down your room for you ^_^ a couple of hotels required at minimum 3 day booking even though we were only staying one night, you will recieve your money back no worries. (I double checked my bank account often to make sure.)

As for water David5o is correct, but all of the hotels I stayed at had a tea pot where you could boil your own water. A lot of the hotels had a mini fridge so I would boil some, make tea and fill a couple of water bottles and put in the fridge.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:52:23 pm by Jadams79 »
Can't fix stupid.

David5o

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 05:24:38 pm »
Jadams,

If your boiling water from an electric kettle, the kettle will only take a minute or two to bring it to the boil. Normal tap water will need to boil for a minimum of 3 minutes for it to be anywhere near safe. unfortunately, an electric kettle just can't do that, the thermostat incorporated in them, cuts the power after just a few seconds of boiling. Maybe the hotel you were staying at, supplied the coffee/tea making facility with safe or bottled water. As i said above, Always best to ''Ask'' and not ''Assume''. The last thing you need on your trip is a ''Gut Bug'' believe me,  .......Or, just ask Freddie!! ...hahahaha!!

David.......
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:25:14 pm by David5o »

Offline Tiztom

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 01:04:23 am »
Bali is the same, I made it through 3 trips there, on the 4th I copped Bali belly & had the trots for a week, it was that bad I had to have my arse operated on when I got back, I tells ya now, getting a needle in my freckle is the most painful experience I've ever had.
You'd think in a developing country like China they would have sorted the major cities water systems out by now. I guess the locals are immune like in Bali to some extent, we were safe with the ice provided it was broken & not cubed as they bought it in at most places every day in huge blocks, do they do the same there?
First thing I'll be doing is buying half a dozen bottles.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 04:35:16 am »
Tiztom , I make it a rule that when we arrive at a location [ hotel ] I get my better half to go and buy a few 1.75 or larger bottles of her drinking water and we use that for drinks and teeth , the pure water is cheap and she knows what she is buying out of about 10 on the shelf she will only pick 1 or 2  , but as yet she has not brought back pure vodka , cheap insurance and they charge like wounded bulls for what is in the room fridge , regards Robert.
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info