Author Topic: Tourist boom in China before the solar eclipse of July 22  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
Tourist boom in China before the solar eclipse of July 22
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:56:29 am »
SHANGHAI - The longest total solar eclipse of the 21st century, seen July 22, triggered a tourist boom in eastern China, considered the best place to enjoy the celestial phenomenon, said Thursday of professionals.

The eclipse, which is expected to last six minutes, obscure Chinese territory according to a path between the cities of Chengdu and Chongqing, in south-west to those of Shanghai and Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province (east), according the site of NASA.

Travel agents and hoteliers have already reported a dramatic increase in travel demand to attend the show, a welcome windfall when the sector has suffered from the financial crisis.

"July is usually the low season in terms of foreign tourists, but we noticed a sudden explosion," said Chenyan Zhi, deputy director of the China travel agency in Zhejiang.

"My colleagues in other cities were disappointed by the figures this month, but suddenly we had a boom," he added.

Shiming Chen, spokesperson of the Sculpture Park in Shanghai, one of the most recommended to follow the eclipse, told the AFP have 2000 tickets for expired July 22.

"We have received calls from Japan, the United States and Europe," he said.

A pair of special glasses and a T-shirt are included in the purchase of each ticket sold for 150 yuan (16 euros).

The last total eclipse in China took place in August 2008, a week before the opening of the Olympics.
- Let's Rock -

Offline Danny

RE: Tourist boom in China before the solar eclipse of July 22
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 04:07:09 am »
I am such a selfish and small minded fellow. The only thing I cared about that news article was checking to make sure that the hoard of geeks wasn't going to be anywhere near where I am headed (Zhuhai in mid September). All I can think about at the moment is how much I miss my darling and how many days until I visit her *laughs*

Vince G

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:58:12 am »
They are saying it's a solar eclipse of the 21st century when we know the increase of tourism is due to western guys going to see their woman.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:07:00 pm »
I wonder how many religious "Wizards" are coming out of the woodwork predicting the end of the world.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Vince G

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 03:15:11 pm »
I say now, if Sylvain does not move on to another woman I shall cover China with the longest total solar eclipse on July 22.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 03:29:44 am »
OMG
And saying that I will not be in China on July 22

Please waitttttt :D
- Let's Rock -