Author Topic: Chinese Mail  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Freddie

Chinese Mail
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:11:14 pm »
Hey guys. Got any info on the success rate of snail mail addressed in English reaching it's intended destination in the People's Republic? I distrust some of the stuff I've been reading in my woman's emfs lately so I want to bypass the agency. I'll take my chances with using my own  online translator to send a few direct letters. Thanks.

Freddie.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:11:59 pm by Freddie »

Offline victor-hills

RE: Chinese Mail
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:19:04 pm »
For me took 2 weeks from england fred.
Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:31:04 pm »
I wonder about this too.
Anythng i have sent to China I have stuck on a print out of the Chinese address and the English version of the address.
I think a courier company will be fine with the English version, not so sure about the regular postal service.
Anyone have advice here?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Freddie

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:40:06 pm »
Quote from: 'victor-hills' pid='8637' dateline='1247703544'

For me took 2 weeks from england fred.

Thanks Fred. Nice name btw. I'm assuming it did arrive succesfully.
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='8638' dateline='1247704264'

I wonder about this too.
Anythng i have sent to China I have stuck on a print out of the Chinese address and the English version of the address.
I think a courier company will be fine with the English version, not so sure about the regular postal service.
Anyone have advice here?

Thanks Irishman. Were you using an online trnslator to get the Chinese version?

Freddie.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:43:16 pm by Freddie »

Offline Tiztom

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:41:30 pm »
I was at the Chinese Consulate yesterday & asked the same question as I'm sending a small parcel & two different people, one a Chinese business man & an Australian guy said writing in English is no problem, I got someone to copy it in Chinese just in case though.
The Chinese man suggested I use the system where she has to sign for it through EMF or something, I'll check at the PO later.

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:47 pm »
I have tried two times to send things.  I had it wrote in both an I still had it returned to me.  So my suggestion is hand delivery haha
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline Hajo

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:27:05 pm »
I had to send papers to the agency in China. They gave me the english address. It arrived after 17 days from Denmark. I sent it to Urumqi. I just sent another letter with snail mail.

The agency told me that the english version of the address is fine.
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Vince G

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:18:33 am »
Ahem, If your sending a letter or package you put the name and address in english and right below it in Chinese character. Her last name first and her official name not the english version they made. Takes about 10 days to 2 weeks reg first class mail. (USA)

Businesses have it easier. You can have it in english and it still gets there.

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:27:23 am »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='8659' dateline='1247717913'

Ahem, If your sending a letter or package you put the name and address in english and right below it in Chinese character. Her last name first and her official name not the english version they made. Takes about 10 days to 2 weeks reg first class mail. (USA)

Ahem,

Okay Vince, oh great knower and seeer of all.  Where do we mere commoners get the Chinese characters?
Skip

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 12:39:59 am »
Oh commoner Skip of Gilligan's Island, Translate it at google. The lady may send it (got mine email) The translator can try but they can't send Chinese characters, so google translator.

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 12:50:47 am »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='8663' dateline='1247719199'

Oh commoner Skip of Gilligan's Island, Translate it at google. The lady may send it (got mine email) The translator can try but they can't send Chinese characters, so google translator.

One of the things I really like about this forum is hanging out with aristocrats like Vince.  Of course some of us have been around the block more than others. :)
Skip

Vince G

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 07:57:16 am »
aristocrat? OK This about the same when a younger cashier asks "How are you young man?"

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 08:30:16 am »
Haha, I just got Ling to write it down and email me, so much better than relying on dodgy online translations!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Freddie

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 11:39:14 am »
Quote from: 'Skip' pid='8662' dateline='1247718443'

Ahem,

Okay Vince, oh great knower and seeer of all.  Where do we mere commoners get the Chinese characters?

Skip, good question. I was thinking that myself. Good thing the posts are consecutive. lol. thanks.

Freddie.
Quote from: 'Freddie' pid='8696' dateline='1247758754'

Ahem,

Skip, good question. I was thinking that myself. Good thing the posts are consecutive. lol. thanks.

Freddie.

OK guys. Thanks. I think I have sufficient info here to put it together. Regarding the email thing, very early on I got the "don't know much about computers" line. 4 months later I got a suggestion, supposedly from her, about a specific website to go to to investigate some things for my trip. So an email could work, if it's the agency screwing around and not her, but the agency is the conduit for getting it from her unless I use snail mail.

ps - be nice to Vince. From the little I've read here he seems like a guy to have on your side!

Freddie.

Ahem,

Freddie.

Ahem,

Freddie.

OK guys. Thanks. I think I have sufficient info here to put it together. Regarding the email thing, very early on I got the "don't know much about computers" line. 4 months later I got a suggestion, supposedly from her, about a specific website to go to to investigate some things for my trip. So an email could work, if it's the agency screwing around and not her, but the agency is the conduit for getting it from her unless I use snail mail.

ps - be nice to Vince. From the little I've read here he seems like a guy to have on your side!

Freddie.

darn - I should first proofread THEN send. When I said 'get it' I meant the email address.

Freddie.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:53:06 am by Freddie »