Author Topic: Places to see and things to do in China  (Read 26360 times)

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
RE: Places to see and things to do in China
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 06:01:52 am »
Great to see so many places, now just need to budget more time.  Thanks to all who have shared.

Offline Andreas

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 07:48:19 am »
Quote from: 'Danny' pid='9607' dateline='1248339102'
Quote from: 'Andreas' pid='9601' dateline='1248332010'
@Maxx: Ting and me went also to somekind of a underground shopping area, Gombai district. I liked it very much, lots of stores (little ones), somekind like a flea market flavor, bistro's, little restaurants. Don't know if you mentioned that. Maybe you already did. One entrance is just at the Gombai port hall.

Andreas!

I found that underground shopping centre just a complete dive. Is this the Gombai district? I wandered around it for a while and I just didn't find anything that was different from home. Some old junk you get at the markets here in Melbourne. I found it really tacky and run down. What bits of it can you recommend? Maybe I missed the good stuff?

Danny, not really something special though. It is like you say, but if one wants to get a casio watch or things like that you might get a good deal there. Its is cheaper than over here, that is for sure. I didn't buy anything there. My girl and me just went there, walked thru some alleys, had some icecream and a milkshake and that was about it. When I am back in September I will check it out ones again, wanted to check out some electronics stuff. But overall you're right, its a flea market, just the kind we got in the west.

Andreas!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:49:29 am by Andreas »

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:06:52 am »
Fantastic thread guys, keep them coming, i'm gonna take all the city posts when done and move them into a separate thread so its nice and neat and together, i'll leave this thread too for people to comment on and add their own reports. Hopefully over time we will have most of the major cities covered.
If some people would like to do cities in Thailand now that there are Thai profiles on chnlove too go right ahead, in fact why not make a report for any of the local countries that our ladies can visit, I'm sure I'm not the only one that visited SE Asia countries with my lady.

I'm gonna write up Guangzhou and after my trip do Tianjin, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Langkawi in Malaysia. I can write a little about Taishan too, Chonger though is the resident expert on that city. Hong Kong is a big one too, I can write a little about there too.
If a city has been done then don't let that stop anyone writing additional stuff that wasnt covered, I'll group multiple posts about the same city together so its easy to follow.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 07:14:02 pm »
The Provincial Museum in Changsha is well worth a visit.  Also, a walk along the river is relaxing, with plenty of things to see and do.

If you happen to go to Zixing in Hunan Province (Near Chenzhou), a trip up to Dongjiang Dam is a nice side trip.  Charter a boat, and go to the Tao Monastery on Dongjiang Lake.  Half way up the mountain to the dam, is a restaurant across from the waterfall.  Good food there, and if you are feeling brave, try the wild mouse dish.

In Guangzhou, Shamian is a nice place to visit...but be sure to get off the beaten path and walk around some of the neighborhoods.

Go to Beijing street in Guangzhou.two miles of outdoor shopping.You can buy just about anything you want.In the middle of the street.They cut out the blacktop and exposed the old roads from the different dynasties .At the end of the street is a Buhdist temple.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:26:22 pm by maxx »

Offline maxx

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 07:40:53 pm »
Andreas and Danny yes that is the GomBai mall.We go there everytime were in Zhuhai.

Offline maxx

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 09:16:59 pm »
Cool Irishman said I can write about Bangkok Thailand.My favorite city in Asia.Where to start.I spent 12 days there in Nov of 2005.So my information might be a little dated.

There is 4 main red light Districts in Bangkok,Soi cowboys,Nana plaza,Soi 13 and another one sorry  I can't remember the name right now.There is other smaller areas but theese are the main ones.You can get anything you want there Women, guns, drugs,Drinks.If you Go for any of that be carefull Thailand goverment holds a very dimm view of weapons and Drugs.The movie broke down palace is based on a true story.You will end up in a Thai prison and there isn't much your countries goverment can do for you.

Transportation in Bangkok is good.Taxi sky train and tuk tuks.most people speak English and most of the signes are in English so it isn't a problem to get around.Bangkok makes a good place to stay.Because it is fairly cheap and it is right in the middle of everything.

There is so many hotels there that you can ussualy get a nice hotel room for about 25.00 a night.When I went I had a 4 star room for 20.00 a night including breakfast.A good part of the city to stay is somewhere on Suckimitt rd or the ratchetit road thoose are to of the main roads threw bangkok.(No I didn't spell the rd names right but it is close.I booked my room threw Asiarooms.com

Thing to do places to go.Emporer palace,canal tour,Dragon  boat races.Leaning Bhudda,Mui Thai fights, Floating market,The night market,And the worlds biggest flea market.Me and my driver spent abought 5 hours at the flea market.Didn't even get to see halfe of it.

Emporers palace good for a couple of hours.Check out the art work on the buildings will blow your mind.

Canal tour they put you on a boat and you go up and down the canals.good for about 4 hours.You really get to see how the Thai people really live.

Mui Thai.Is thai Boxing it is pretty interesting to watch.They ussually have a match sceduled in the main sports arena every saturday.

Floating Market.you get in a boat and go down thease little canals and you can stop and buy things from the venders.Its actually pretty cool.

Night market is a flea market at night.Remeber to bring a flashlight.

leaning Bhudda is worth a look.and a few pictures.Be respectfull it is a temple no smoking drinking or cussing.Buy the Thai coins you put them in the pails for luck and happiness.Check out the Arcitecture on theese buildings really impresive.

about a hour outside of Bangkok by car is the J.E.E.T cemtery and the death railway.You can walk threw the cemetery take pictures.Go threw the little museum they have there.Walk across the Kwai river bridge.And take the train on the death railway.For about 2.00 dollers you can take a boat up the Kwai river.It will take you under the Railway bridge and back to shore.If you don't know the history of the railway and the bridge.It is a good idea to read a little history of W W 2 and the Japanese army in Southeast Asia.It will mean alot more to you.If you go.

About a hour outside of Bangkok along the ocean is the party town of Pattaya.Real good place to get yourself in trouble.Off the coast of Pattaya is a little island called Coral island.You can take a boat to the island and spend the day swimming snorkeling,Scuba diving ridding the jet skis or rent a scotter and drive around the island and check out the houses and the temple.And like allways there is a place to do some shopping and plenty of restraunts to eat.

I booked most theese trips threw my hotels travel desk.The most i spent on any trip was like 30.00 per person.So it is real cheap.And on the all day trips lunch was included in the price.For the short trips.Emporer palace floating market,The flea market.The leaning Bhudda.I just hired a taxi for the day.It was running me about 15 to 20 dollers a day.The driver will set there and wate for you.Or you can do like I did and make the driver go with you.

Things really not to be missed.Thai massage. Greatest thing known to man.I Kid you not.When you go into the massage parlor just tell them you want traditional Thai massage.No Boom Boom.If you forget the no Boom Boom  part your going to be in for a big suprise.And thoose of you who are traveling with your lady.Will have to find your own way back to the hotel.After she leaves you standing in the street.

other things to Check out a snake show,Ride a elephant,Get your picture taken with a Bengal tiger setting in your lap.(no I'm not kidding about the picture with the tiger) there is some monks that have trained the tigers and you can have your picture taken with the tigers.I seen them at the end of the Kwai bridge tour.

This is Asia so everything is a negotiation and it is expected.Tipping is expected in Thailand.And it is a pretty safe city most of the time.Check with your goverment about the political situation before you go.Sometimes there is a little revolution in the air.It ussually doesn't last to long.And is never really bloody.Be advised stay out of the south of Thailand.The Muslims there are always a little madd.Phuckett Island is in the south but it is ussually really a safe place.

Bad things you do not want to do in Thailand.Don't talk bad about the royal family.It can get you a night in Jail and booted out of the country and fined.The Thais think that the royal family is close to a holy Deity.If you drop Thai money on the ground do not step on it with your foot.Very disrespectful to the King his picture is on the money.Do not touch a Thai on the head very disrespectful.

If you are having trouble with a vender or a merchant.You think that you are being Cheated.Tell somebody that you want to speak with the tourist police.Somebody will call them for you.And they will come and straighten the merchant or the vender out.The Thai goverment wants you to have a good safe time while you are there that is what the tourist police are for

Good place to get some real solid advice about Bangkok and Thailand is.Bangkok bob and Stickman.Both expat bloggers who have lived and worked in Thailand for years.they both cover everything about Thailand and Bangkok

Offline Peter

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 12:04:09 am »
I must say Zhangjiajie and Fufang (Phoenix Town). Zhangjiajie was one of the most beautiful places I have seen and Fugang för the old and traditional city...
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:13 am »
Aggghhhh!!!I wrote a long Guangzhou guide down in notepad and rebooted the computer without saving it first...all lost forever!! Will rewqrite and post today.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 06:35:40 am »
sorry to hear that Irish, it can be frustrating :s
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 06:59:39 am »
Ronan sorry to hear that mate,:-/

could having that 'little' wine last night, have something to do with this mishap:angel::blush:

Vince G

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 11:00:23 am »
Oh I hate that. I use to have 3 battery backups hooked up. First battery died out and I couldn't get the correct battery. Then the others stopped working too. I haven't fixed those yet so when I'm writing something and there's a small glitch in the electrical line I lose it all. Come to think of it where is that other BBU? Well I learned to save as I write each sentence.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 11:17:20 am »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='9726' dateline='1248433179'

Ronan sorry to hear that mate,:-/

could having that 'little' wine last night, have something to do with this mishap:angel::blush:

Haha I wish that was the excuse, but I did it this morning not last night!
Rewriting now, I tend to waffle on a bit, this thing is turning into a book!

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 09:00:14 am »
Nearly done just selecting pictures, its a loooong guide!

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 10:45:15 pm »
Ronan...make sure it includes the Tee Mall.  This was an important part of your Guangzhou adventure.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 12:30:24 am »
I have a little about it in there..its rather long and messy right now, maybe will finally post tonight.