Author Topic: Can you tell me what this says?  (Read 3207 times)

shaun

Can you tell me what this says?
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:31:53 pm »
Hi Guys, I was at an auction tonight and bought two vase's. I buy a lot of furniture and home decor to sell in my store. The writing looks like it may be Chinese but I am not able to read Chinese.  Can anyone tell me what it says?

I am not sure at this point if I am going to sell them or keep them as a part of my decor in my living room.  Either way it would be nice to tell people what is said on the if they ask.

Thanks.

Arnold

RE: Can you tell me what this says?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:40:59 pm »
Sorry Shaun ,
all I can make out of that is .... MADE IN CHINA :icon_cheesygrin:

shaun

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:46:23 pm »
Yeh, I figured that one out when I turned it upside down and read it in English.  Then I saw what suggested retail was and was shocked at how much was suggested. If I can't find out I am going to tell people that it says, Silly American think this vase is collectors item and pay too much.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:03:58 am »
I sent the picture to a chinese friend of mine - don't know when he will look at his emails. He won't be back home until night time in China since it is 12:00 noon there right now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:04:45 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline maxx

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 01:52:49 am »
Shaun I had my wife look at it.She said that she can't read it the way it is written.She said she would have to hold the vase.To see what way it is written.Right to left or left to right.or up to down.

My wife also said it looked like it wasn't worth to alot of money.If it do's have the made in China stamp on the bottom.It probably isn't worth to much.

Look on the bottom of the vase see if there is any Chinese writing.If there is post it here.And my wife can probably tell you where it is made in China and who made it.that will give you a better Idea of what it is worth.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 01:53:48 am »
you guys are killing me, sorry Shaun, I can't help.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 01:54:17 am by MLM »
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

shaun

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 08:00:32 am »
Thanks guys for your response.  I should have said it is not worth much money.  It has a sticker on the bottom that says made in China and suggested retail of $29.99 along with a barcode.  Take the sticker off and there is nothing etched into the bottom of it.  With shipping from China I bet it didn't cost $5.00 for the 2 of them.  They will either sit on a table for display or sale in my store or end up in my house on the fireplace mantle with imitation flowers in them.

This is something you might find in a Ross or TJ Maxx.  It isn't on a Pier 1 level.

Arnold

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 02:28:11 pm »
Thanks Shaun for this Thread . I have something that I need to know what it is ?
It seems it used to stand on it's own proudly , only to decide it's better to lay down .
Hope no one had bougth a Condo in this Building ?

Here it is....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 05:35:42 pm by Vince G »

Arnold

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 06:12:01 pm »
Thanks Vince , I don't know how you do it ? It great to have someone that knows what he's doing in any Group .:icon_cheesygrin:

Any how , this is a Building that tipped over in Shanghai not long ago , there was one worker inside at the time .. getting his tools . They checked for him as this was written , but were not able to find at that time . He might have fallen out and got crushed from the outside of the Building . Anybody want's to move in the ones next door ?

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »
Hello Ron,

Sorry for my late replying, I changed my dwelling place last Sunday and have just had internet installed.

I looked up the characters on the vast on net and found out their origination. The characters are segments of an essay from an ancient Chinese scholar named Zhu Bolu in Ming Dynasty (his picture http://imgsrc.baidu.com/baike/abpic/item/b0742dfa122aad3fa9d31167.jpg) . The complete one with audio content can be read and listened here.  

http://www.dxgzs.com/bd/017.htm

On the vase, the painter repeated mainly the first four lines. I also found ready English version on net. Their English meaning are as following,

line 1

Rise up by dawn’s early light;
Clean up, put everything right;
Keep the home tidy and clean.

line 2

Go to bed early at night;
Check that the doors are locked tight;
Sleep now secure and serene.

line 3

The growing of rice and of grain
Think on whenever you dine;
Remember how silk is obtained
Which keeps you warm and looks fine.

line 4

In periods of drought
Wise birds mend their nest
So when the clouds burst
They snugly may rest;
Never be the fool
Who starts to dig a well in the ground
When he wants a drink of water
And water can’t be found.

That's about the vase. I'm off to have lunch and head to library now. Thank you for asking. I realy enjoy exchanging information of different cultures. I hope my reply doesn't arrive to late.

Regards

Guang Han

shaun

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 08:06:19 pm »
Thanks, Ron.  This is really good, I was thinking I would sell them in my store but now I will keep them. They will remind me of many things, one of which is the brotherhood. I will commit the poem to memory and try to learn it in Chinese.

Again Thanks,  Shaun

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 09:39:35 pm »
I am glad to help although it is my friend Guang Han that I will thank for you as he has helped many times. I will be asking him to be my best man when I return to China for the offical wedding ceremony. This is my second marriage but I have not ever had a real wedding. First time I eloped, and this second time, of course we registered or marriage. So I am excited for the prospects of an actual ceremony.

I also liked the poem inscribed on the vase. It has wisdom embedded in the words. I also now soon you will leave on your magical carpet ride so best wishes for your future.

shaun

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 11:20:19 pm »
Yes, I meant ask you to thank Guang Han also. I was trying to answer respond to you on chnlove and cook supper. I am not good at multi-tasking I've been told many times.  The poem was simple, but as you said, has embedded wisdom. I imagine you are looking forward to the ceremony. It will be a special time and good memory. My best wishes for you and your wife.  Thank you for the wishes. I am looking forward to the future.