Author Topic: Places to see and things to do in China  (Read 7484 times)

Offline mpo

Places to see and things to do in China
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »
Qingdao
is situated at the foot of Lao Shan Mountain and on the shore of the Yellow Sea. Qingdao's architecture presents a characteristic European style and is very harmonious on the whole. The red roofs, green trees, blue sea, and azure sky form a bright and colorful picture of Qingdao. The city is sometimes known as the Switzerland of the Orient. In cooperation with the Beijing Olympic Games 2008, Qingdao will hold the Sailing Competition in the Olympic Games in 2008. This great event brings a great opportunity for this charming city to build its bright future.

Laoshan
Different from many famous mountains in China, Lao Mountain rises from the sea level, and has a coast line of 87 kilometers, structuring a wonder on the sea. The main peak, named Large Peak or Peak Lao, is over 1100 meters high above sea level. Take a walk around, with the sea on one side, and lofty stones and precipitous peaks on the other side, both majestic and elegant.

Xiaoqingdao Island
Whose shape is like an ancient violin ,is also called "Vinlin Isle" , The isle in the east and Zhanqiao pier in the west face each other across the sea. Germany build the white lighthouse on the isle at the beginning of this century. Its light reflected on the sea makes quite a spectacle at night, so much so that it has become known as "Floating Light of the Isle".

Beaches
In all there are seven bathing beaches (Haishui Yuchang), the most popular being those numbered 1, 2 and 3.

The largest is Beach No. 1, in the south of the town, which is 580m/640yd long. No. 2 is a little way further east, where more than 80 hotels and health clinics lie in a row. About 1km/.5mi further east still is Beach No. 3, which is not as large as the other two.

German-style Buildings

The main attraction of the city, for the numerous Chinese summer guests who visit Qingdao, are the houses of the old town that were constructed in the German style.

The following buildings and complexes are particularly remarkable:

Although the station was reconstructed in the 1920s, the new building was adorned with the facade and the tower of the original German station built in 1900-1901.

Until 1914, the main shopping street, Sun-Yat-sen Street, in the old town was called Friedrichstrasse. There are still many of buildings here, for example the sailors' house at the corner of Hubei Lu (Kronprinzenstrasse).

A little further north stands St Michael's Cathedral. Although this Catholic church with two towers (54m/177ft high) had a German architect it was not built until 1931-1934 in the Neo-Romanesque style.

The riverside walk (Kaiser Wilhelm promenade) runs east from the pier. Several old buildings are preserved, including a hotel and the former headquarters of the German Asiatic Bank.

Government House, the largest and most imposing building in the old town, is situated on the southern slopes of Government Hill, facing the riverside walk, with a view of Qingdao Lu (formerly Wilhelmstrasse). It was completed in 1906, and later became the town hall. In 1989 the building was doubled in size by a mirrored copy on the mountainside.

The Protestant Christ's Church east of Government House was built in 1908-1910 in the historical German art nouveau style.

The most spectacular of the German buildings in town is the Governor's Residence, situated on the slope of Signal Hill. Its interior is almost completely preserved, and today it is a hotel.

Lu Xun Gongyuan Park
This park, named after the writer Lu Xun lies in the south of the town on a rocky promontory close by the sea, and gives a wonderful view over the water.

Market
This market in Jimo Street (Jimolu Schichang), in the town center, is renowned for the rich array of goods on sale. It is estimated that some 200,000 people visit it every day. As well as Laoshan mineral water, old furniture, second-hand bicycles, straw baskets and much, much more is here to tempt the buyer.

Pavilion of the Rebounding Waves
(Local Name: Huilan Ge) At the southern end of the pier stands the octagonal Pavilion of the Rebounding Waves, built in classical Chinese style. Inside, a spiral staircase leads up to the upper story.

The pier and this pavilion are regarded as Qingdao's emblems.

Pier
(Local Name: Qianhai Zhanqiao) The pier (Qianhai Zhanqiao), the main attraction for all visitors to Qingdao, juts 440m/1320ft from the coastal promenade into the sea. At the end it has a Chinese pavilion. A pier was first built here in 1891; it was extended to its present-day length and size in 1931.

Zhanshan Temple
situated in the east of the town and encircled by hills, was built in 1934 and is the only Buddhist edifice in Qingdao. In the eastern section of the complex towers an octagonal stone pagoda of seven stories.

Qingdao International Sailing Club (QISC),
formerly known as "Wind-Catcher Sailing Club"
Tel:  0532 - 8286 4645
Wind-Catcher Sailing Club was the most active small-boat sailing place in Qingdao until the end of 2006 when the people behind the club decided to tear down "the old" and start constructing a whole new complex. The new place, now called Qingdao International Sailing Club (QISC), is scheduled to open beginning of September this year (2008).
The launch ramp is now wider and longer than before.  This should eliminate previous years' problems to sail from the place during low tide hours. With the new facilities, an improved access ramp, and a relatively good selection of boats, Qingdao International Sailing Club should be the best place in Qingdao to rent a small boat when the club opens in early September (2008).

or and there is a beer place there too, I heard :icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:58:16 pm by Irishman »

Offline maxx

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:43:03 pm »
Lushan

I thought today I would post about Lushan.The Hidden Gem of China.It is located southwest of JiuJiang China.about a 1 hour drive by car.It is a good place to spend a couple of days.It Has mountains and valleys with some real nice scenery.Ther is a number of hiking trails with waterfalls lakes flowers wild monkeys,And was one of the Headquarters for Chairmen Mao.Before durring and after the communist take over of China

Lushan is setting on the side of a mountain.It is a town of about 3 thousand people so really small for a city in China.There is a halfe a dosen restraunts all with good food.3 hotels.None of the hotels are top of the line but they are descent and fairly clean and yes they do have western style toilets.Ther is shops and Markets where you can do a little shopping but not much.

The main attraction to Lushan is the scenery and the trails.Me and my wife have spent 4 days there total and probably havent coverd halfe the trails.Most of the trails are Modertly easy.But there is some that go over the top of the moountains and take 5 to 6 hours to cover.

Three falls trail walk down the mountain on the stairs for about 3 miles.There is rest stops along the way with venders selling water,food and drinks.And if you get to tired there are Chairs with Bamboo polls you can hire a couple of people to carry you up or down the mountain.When you reach the bottom of the mountain.You will see three waterfalls that go into a pool.It is really beautiful.Plenty of picture tacking oppertunities.

To get back to the top you have 2 options.You can climb the stairs wich is about 3 miles up or you can walk a hundred yards down the mountain and stand by the road till a taxi comes by to pick you up.Me and my wife climbed up the mountain.If your wondering.No Me and my wife didn't use the chairs. (This is a hard climb you need to be in some kind of shape)at the top you can take the tram or the trail back to the parking area.We took the trail there is a nice stream to play in along the way.Total hike time probably about five hours.

Along one of the trails is a small buhdist temple that is set in a cave.According to the sign I read the temple has ben there for over 800 years.They let you take pictures around an in the temple.

Chairmen Maos headquarters and Museum.Is open to the public.It tells you all about Chairmen Mao and his time in Lushan.The museum is actually Where he stayed at in Lushan.It has his offices bedrooms sitting rooms conference rooms.It takes about one hour to go threw the Muesum.

To go to Lushan you are going to need a pass.You can buy the pass at the top of the mountain going into lushan.It is like a hundred Rmb for car.Lushan doe's not get many foreign travelers.So the people and the tour groups.Will stare alot.If you feel like a Hollywood superstar don't be suprised.Everybody wants there picture taken with you.And somtimes they are not to polite.About asking if they can take your picture.Expect to run into Chinese school Children on day trips with ther classes.They will want to have there picture taken with you.By now I think there is probably a couple hundred school Children running around with my picture on there camera and phones.

It is well worth the trip and a good time.Just be carefull what trails you choose.Because some of them are really tough.The best time to go is in early may.Our early sept.Not to hot and the humidity isn't to bad.Sometimes they have a light rain in the afternoon it cools everything down.It can also be a little chilly at night.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:56:14 pm by Irishman »

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:31:36 am »
Beijing

Forbidden city,Summer palace,Great wall,Ming tombsTinnaman square.Chairmen Mao's body.Peiking Duck.olympic park

Forbidden city is a must see start early in the day.It will take close to all day.After the forbidden city.Tinnaman square is right across the street.And so is Chairman Mao's body lying in state.You can view the body at certain times durring the day..If you go to your left after exiting the forbidden city.Go about 2 miles go past the real expensive hotels.You will see the Beijing hotel on your left.Turn left there.And walk threw the outdoor shopping market.Toward the back they have food from all over China.It is Cheap and good.

Summer palace plan on a full day to see this.Climb up the steps to the temples walk along the lake.Walk to the islands.In my opinion it is much better then Forbidden city.

Great wall you travel outside of Beijing.You can climb the wall in about twenty different places expect big crowds in the summer.Don't forget to get a tshirt.That says I climbed the great wall

Ming tombs take the Museum tour its about twenty minutes.Signes are in English and Chinese.Go to the tombs walk underground about 30 feet down.Tour the gardens.There are other historic sites in the valley of the tombs.If you want to see all the tombs.It would take all day.I would suggest a guide for this.

Temple Garden in the middle of Beijing.About a 3 to 4 hour self guided tour.This is the place where the Ming emporiers used to have the harvest celeabration.It is well worth seeing.Just to walk threw the lanes watch the people play hackey sac with the locals.

Right across the street from the temple garden is a big shopping center.Where all the foriegners go it has just about everything and most of the clerks speak English.The clerks are very agrresive so bargen and bargen some more.One clerk started out at 800 Rmb for a silk robe.By the time we were dome I payed 35 Rmb for the robe.

Olympic park.See where history was made.You can go inside the different arenas but expect to pay.As you enter each arena.And of course big crowds in the summer.They also have some venders selling handmade Items from all over China.It took us about 2 hours to look at the different arenas from the outside and to check out the handcrafted itemts.

Peiking Duck Go to the Chen Chi Duo restraunt.They have ben cooking Duck since 1865.The style and the atmospere in this restraunt will blow you away.Don't worry about ordering the Duck.It comes with every meal.The cheff cuts the duck up right in front of you.Best Duck I have ever eaten.With each Duck comes a card.The card is written in English and Chinese..It tells you the history of the restraunt and the number of the duck you have just eaten.After the meal Check out the different shops.Take a ride on the trolly.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:58:42 pm by Irishman »

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:06:39 am »
Here you can find guides to the various places our members have been to in China and SE Asia and have been kind enough to write up about.
Thanks to all the contributors!

When writing a guide please keep to one city per post so I can simply move the post over to here, otherwise I'll just copy and paste the city specific guide and credit the original poster.
I give top billing to detailed posts with pictures as well as text, but usually it will be the first person to make a decent guide, one liners don't count count as a guide!

As people post about various cities i will add them to the list below.
Chinese places take precedence of course over the other cities.

China
Beijing - by maxx
Lushan - by maxx
Qingdao - by mpo4747
Guangzhou
Tianjin
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Penang
Langkawi
Thailand
Zhuhai
Lou Shan
Bangkok
As people add guides i will amend this post, please NO replies to this thread by anyone, I want to keep it clean and tidy and easy to read up
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:59:43 pm by Irishman »
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Re: Places to see and things to do in China
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 01:40:08 am »
Um...Maxx...why are you bumping this thread?  It is a sticky, and always at the top.

Offline maxx

Re: Places to see and things to do in China
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:54:25 am »
cause somebody asked for it.And thed didn't know where to look.And to make you ask questions.