Author Topic: What is MGDB? And how to use QQ  (Read 2763 times)

Offline yoshiii

• Trust no one Mr. Moulder
What is MGDB? And how to use QQ
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:48:30 pm »
Hello

I read an old post which mentioned something called MGDB for use as a translating tool. What is it exactly and where can I download it from?

Also I have read about something that members used called QQ. What is it exactly and where do I download that from?

Thanks

Offline Ed W

RE: What is MGDB? And how to use QQ
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:20:34 pm »
I dont remember something called MGDB but my wife and i use google translate. It's not perfect but usually does the trick.

QQ is like MSN or Yahoo msgr. It's just the common tool in China. I can't for the life of me remember where i got it from but I think someone posted a link to it at some point. It works great. Each morning we meet for video chat and I'm always amazed at the quality of the video and rarely any problems.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline yoshiii

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:14:04 am »
Quote from: 'mpo4747' pid='10864' dateline='1249353969'

it is an online dictionary for translating

http://us.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

Mike

Thanks for the link!

How accurate is this compared to Goodgle?

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:21:34 am »
it's a 50/50 split.  I try both and see which one is closer to english.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline yoshiii

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:30:58 am »
Quote from: 'Neil' pid='10875' dateline='1249363294'

it's a 50/50 split.  I try both and see which one is closer to english.

Ok

I will try it.

Vince G

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:59:58 am »
Yoshiii, MDBG is ok for some single words.

http://www.standardmandarin.com/basicmandarin  Basic Mandarin Chinese Phrases is very good in a way of learning. If there is a sentence there I use  on the phone with my lady and she understands it easily. When I use others MDBG she doesn't understand it or says it's wrong (meanings) I use this for single simple words.

Google Translator I use all the time in different languages. It seems to be very good but does not have a speech file.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:08:57 am »
Well, with Google translator, I just can't guess the meaning of the last sentence by David on his joke (for a laugh) :(
- Let's Rock -

Vince G

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:56:49 am »
Syl for jokes it can be hard to understand because they use different meanings then just the words themselves. Something like the latest, A Hit man is someone that kills another for a living (job). where the answer is 'I think I can save you a grand here" Means 'I think I can save you a one thousand dollars/pounds here" Just showing that the words can mean other things. As for the punch line, Shoot in the mouth and shoot in the penis? He was waiting to make one shot, because she was going to......

Offline Andy

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:06:13 am »
Download linkage for QQ.

http://www.qq.co.za/download.aspx

My first QQ chat with my lady will be next Sunday.
WOOOOHHOOOO!!!

:icon_cheesygrin:

David5o

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:43 am »
Sly,

Sorry, i only have very basic school boy French, so i only post in English. ...haha!!. I'll try to post more picture Jokes in future, but most of those were sent to me via email, and i don't know how to get them from my email on to this site.... I really have some real crackers too...
David.....

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:17:12 am »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='10901' dateline='1249394209'

Syl for jokes it can be hard to understand because they use different meanings then just the words themselves. Something like the latest, A Hit man is someone that kills another for a living (job). where the answer is 'I think I can save you a grand here" Means 'I think I can save you a one thousand dollars/pounds here" Just showing that the words can mean other things. As for the punch line, Shoot in the mouth and shoot in the penis? He was waiting to make one shot, because she was going to......

Many thanks, I've understood ^^' :)
:D:D
- Let's Rock -

Offline yoshiii

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 06:45:05 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='10895' dateline='1249390798'

Yoshiii, MDBG is ok for some single words.

http://www.standardmandarin.com/basicmandarin  Basic Mandarin Chinese Phrases is very good in a way of learning. If there is a sentence there I use  on the phone with my lady and she understands it easily. When I use others MDBG she doesn't understand it or says it's wrong (meanings) I use this for single simple words.

Google Translator I use all the time in different languages. It seems to be very good but does not have a speech file.

Thanks I will try this:icon_cheesygrin:

feisnik

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 06:01:57 pm »
The official English site for TenCent QQ is http://imqq.com/ which will let you sign up for an account and download the latest English versions of QQ for Micro$oft WinDOHze, Apple Mac OS X, and/or Linux. QQ allows to text chat, audio chat, video chat, and many other things. It is much more robust than many IM programs out there and almost every Chinese person will have a QQ number these days.

Offline zook144

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 11:09:13 pm »
I didn't know exactly where to put this, but this thread looks like it will work.  I just got off QQ with my lady and was using MDGB as my translation tool. She was trying to ask me about my work, and the name Peter came up in the translation. i asked who was Peter, still using MDGB, and she couldn't get it. She does fairly well in English, but she didn't know why I was talking about Peter. I tried to change the subject and drop it, because I figured it was the translation, but she wouldn't let it go.   You should have seen the look on her face trying to figure out why I was talking about some dude named "Peter". So i was banging my head against the keyboard trying to get it translated that my online translator was what was messing up.  I tried phrasing it several ways, but MDGB just would not get it right.   So, anyway, the moral of the story is don't trust MDGB to get the translation right all the time. Double check it. It can really cause confusion.
don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline dude

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 06:04:58 pm »
When using any of these translation tools double check with the same or a different one...I have used google and yahoo babel fish  http://babelfish.yahoo.com/  when I use, I double and triple check everything I write! One thing to understand is these women use a keyboard like us...if there was a keyboard for Chinese characters it would be larger than a mansion! I have known women to use translation tools that are exact to google or Yahoo...both will have different translations! I have also used dictionary.com translation tool...almost exact to Yahoo Babel Fish...the only difference is a stupid pop-up! feisnik is right, almost everybody has a QQ number in China...just like mobile phones!:icon_biggrin: When walking down a busy street, in China, you will hear QQ sounds frequently...lol!