Author Topic: An Irishmans adventures in China  (Read 21254 times)

Scottish_Rob

RE: An Irishmans adventures in China and Malaysia
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2009, 04:58:06 pm »
congrats mate.....hearing your stories is making all the brotherhood jealous, and for the ones that's not been there yet, looking forward to going.:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Arnold

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2009, 05:07:36 pm »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='11831' dateline='1249836171'

Thanks Arnold, we did the dreaded Bataling tourist hell that is that part of the great wall today...more on that later :D No views at this time of year, the sky is white all the time, and its either raining or just about to rain!

At the Simatai Wall you are above the clouds and way out of the city . Nobody is listening to me . I'm going to cry . Everybody goes to the same Wall and then complains ?

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 05:10:23 pm »
Isn't it the Complaint' Wall?? :D:D:D
- Let's Rock -

Arnold

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 05:17:50 pm »
Well Irish , this time you done it . It took two Ling's and a couple of Drinks , but so happy for you .
Congrat's buddy to you and your future Wife . Carrying her on your back , is just practise for the real thing at the Wedding .
Hear them Bell's ring ?

Offline Ed W

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 05:32:19 pm »
Hey that's not fair. He's not old enough to use the carry on his back excuse. I had to carry mine in my arms!!
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Arnold

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 05:53:03 pm »
Ed , I did that too , but only for the Camera . I will do it again when I take her into my ( OUR ) Home . Then ... rest for a couple of day's  .:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2009, 06:04:50 pm »
Congrats buddy.  We will celebrate later this week. Let me know which day you want to get together.  Any day or night except the 14th is open.   Isn't Beijing amazing?  With all of the history.  Each city and province has its own culture and history, but to me so far Xi'an and Beijing are just incredibly rich with it.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 06:35:52 pm »
Congratulations Ronan to you and Ling , guess one could now say the holiday has just begun , enjoy , regards Robert .:icon_cheesygrin:
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

David5o

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2009, 06:46:10 pm »
Does that mean Nookie's are now on the nightly menu ??

Congrats, ....now all you need is Penang just before dusk!!

David....

Offline Ed W

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2009, 07:34:14 pm »
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='11887' dateline='1249854783'

Ed , I did that too , but only for the Camera . I will do it again when I take her into my ( OUR ) Home . Then ... rest for a couple of day's  .:icon_cheesygrin:

OHHHH! I'm telling!!!!! You called her fat!! I'm soooo telling on ya!! LMAO
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Arnold

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2009, 02:07:05 am »
No ED , don't do it . Really , she only weigh's 115 at 5'9' , not a problem . It's just harder than carrying her on my Back .:s

Offline Darius

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2009, 06:57:55 am »
Congrats Irish, to you and your Ling.... Its fanatstic to read your story filled with joy and the full details.

Something what i am still missing, When are you going to meet Lings parents?

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2009, 07:24:23 am »
Hah, David, I knew you would be the one to pick up the meaning of what I wrote earlier :), I think you know what that means now :D

So on Sunday we went to the great wal. Ling had aranged us to be picked up from the hotel at 05:50 in the morning to be taken to the bus to the great wall at Badaling. She got a great price for this cnsidering the distance involved. It was 100RMB al inclusive including lunch..more on that in a bit.

So we got picked up in the car an driven to the bus. There was much consternation there, this apparently was a no laowai bus, Ling didn't know why, outright racism, I dunno, or really care.
On the other bust we were taken to it was all Chinese too but there was no problems at all.
There was a tour give on the bus that did a role call to make sure everyone was onboard several times before setting off, the volume was set to the max and she literally shouted into the mic, I was relieved when the role call was done let me tell you.

So we headed out..and then the auditory assault began, she literally talked at the top of her voice at full volume allllllllll the way to the Great wall, this girl barely paused for breath. Its was constant fast and hell for me as I couldn't understand a word, I was mightily relieved when we arrived and assumed that would be the last of that..how wrong was I..more on that later..

The great wall as Badaling was jammers even at around 8 in the morning when we arrived. It was cloudy and foggy at the top but still steaming hot.
At the bottom of the wall the crowds were jam packed you could barely move. The higher the wall went the thinner the crowds got. In parts it was unbelievably steep. Ling was in medium height heels and it must have been torture on her legs. But she took it slow and said she was going to go a the way to the top with me because I had aid earlier that I really wanted to go all the way there. At the top it was virtually deserted, out of the 1000's that start at the lower levels only the brave few seem to go to the top, probably the heat is a major part of that though. Ling tells me that Badaling is by no means the steepest part of the wall, but she was pleased we got to the top. We got another couple to snap us together there and its a picture I'm very happy with. Once again Ling proved her steel will and commitment to me by going that far.

Going down obviously was a lot easier but jesus the view down the almost vertical drop is not for those afraid of heights, most people clung to the railings and gingerly made their way down one step at a time. Me being full of macho bravado didn't, that was pretty foolish thinking back, if I had slipped and fallen its an almost vertical drop of several hundred feet, I doubt I'd have lived to tell the tale.

So the bust left promptly at 10AM, I though grand we'll be back in Beijing around midday and we can do lunch and head out and do more stuff, Ling said no it would be around 18:00 and we would have lunch first. I needed to go to the toilet and sure as hell didnt want to face the squatter ones at Badaling, the stench in the urinals was bad enough, the squatters must have been nothing short of overpowering. I thought it was a simple misunderstanding and let it slide. It was a misunderstanding alright!!!!

So the tour guide from hell started her sticatto rattling off of fact again as son as the bus started off, I though WTF is she going on about now???!!!
I quickly noticed something was up - we were not headed back the way we came!!, at first I thought it was because of the one way system on the motorway or something, but soon realised it was more than that.
About 2 hours later we arrived at a Pagoda which there was a tour around with a nice display of ancient Jade stuff, that let into a massive jade shop, where there was hard selling going on, I wasn't interested as my bowels were starting to feel a bit gassy to say the least.
After that there was lunch which was part of the deal, so was "free" it was very basic and I didnt eat much, I ordered a beer and got some luke warm watery crap, but at least it was better than the food.

After al that I though great, now to Beijing!!

Wrong!

Next stop was so other food stall place, I wasn't feeling at all interested an neither did most of the rest of the bus. Ling and I dozed togther on the bus instead as we were both pretty short of sleep from the night before.

Next stop was another food place full of dried fruits and candies, there was serious had selling going on a lot of the tour group really went mad spending. I was pretty unimpressed but then again I didn't understand the pitch made in the bus or at the food place either. To my untrained eye the stuff there was no different to what the local Walmart here has. There as bus load after bus load in the place, I guess the tour companies get a kickback for bringing tourists to the place.

Next stop was a Buddhist temple, again there was a tour give with a microphone giving it her all, I was starting to cramp up real bad at this point and was sweating profusely.
Ling noticed and gently pulled me away from the goup and out to the open and we sat by the bus. I decided enough was enough and headed to the WC but the stench there was so bad I almost puked so I had to back out.
I had toilet roll in my bag so decided I would tryt and find an empty field near by and try and it natural discreetly, but as soon as I walked away from the bus the driver shouted and Ling said we were not "permitted" to leave the area.

Eventually we made it back to Beijing (around 18:00 as Ling had said earlier) and as Luck would have it the bus stopped off near the hotel we had stayed and checked out of last night. Ling asked the girl in reception if I could use the bathroom. They said fine and the security guy buzzed me in. Man, it was lift off in the toilets!! The relief was incredible!!! I was so grateful to Ling for taking car of me on the day, the concern on her face was plain to see.

We got the bullet train back to Tianjin and took one of those motorcycle things back to the hotel as none of the taxis would drive us back the short distance. I needed another crap again (my whole system must have backed up during the day!) so we had to get back fast.

We checked in the hotel me almost doubled over in pain again and I hugged Ling briefly and she headed back home as she had work tomorrow and had to pack her bags and stuff first.

Had another Krakatoa type event in the toilet and was fine again.
I headed out and bought a few beers in the local Walmart and sank a few cold ones back in my room. There isn't any bars around here that I can find. There are apparently some bars in Tianjin but they seem to be few and far between.

On Monday the plan is that Ling will stay with me in the hotel as our flight tomorrow morning is at around 8AM and Ling lives about an hours drive from the hotel so makes more sense for her to stay with me, also  the price for the room for two as one and of course she is with me.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Peter

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2009, 12:59:03 pm »
I am a bit late to congratulate you Irish but better late than not at all... Have she choose a date for the big day yet ??
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »
Ronan and Ling COGRATS!!!
It's great to hear she said yes and you had the cahonies to ask :icon_cheesygrin:, Zhou and I send good luck and best wishes for a long and happy life together.
Sooooooo, when is the date, you know when did she say the two of you can be married?, not that you have a say in when any way, your just there to make her look good and so she can have a ride around the room :icon_cheesygrin:
I'm sure I don't have to tell you that you are one lucky SOB, so happy for you bro, now we will have to change all the stats on you and then move you into the married side of the brotherhood, damn, all that paper work will be waiting for you tech guy :icon_biggrin:
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS