Author Topic: Google translator  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Google translator
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »
Anyone tried the google translator?

http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

I write in English - translate it to Chinese.  Then I copy and paste it to the original search space and then change this from Chinese to English to ensure it conveys my correct intentions.

Then I copy that phrase to Word and then format another sentence.

And then I past the complete letter in Chinese and send it to China.

When I get a reply I copy the entire page and then translate it to English.  

Perhaps your own systems are better but this costs me nought.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

RE: Google translator
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:24:51 pm »
Willy, put your glasses on. :icon_cool: I know I have posted it a dozen times. I use it for many languages. Speaking to people all over.

David5o

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:26:28 pm »
Willy.

It's OK but better to translate sentence by sentence than a whole paragraph. I found it deals well with very simple  English or Chinese (child like) But falls down pretty badly with anything else. It's good for single words though..... I always have to double check translating it back an forth ....just to make sure the meanings are still intact!!

David.....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:28:17 pm by David5o »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:00:18 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='11280' dateline='1249586691'

Willy, put your glasses on. :icon_cool: I know I have posted it a dozen times. I use it for many languages. Speaking to people all over.

Theres a lot to read on this forum and I have only been here for a few months!!!

And when you get to my age.......... I forget.  What happens when you get to my age?:s

I will try to do better Vince.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 04:07:19 pm »
I think man needs to improve in fact because this translation seems to not be "as good" as man would believe.
Anybody who can really speak chinese well can confirm that the translation used with Google translator (as example) is really correct?
I have shown it to a chinese friend, who told me "I understand a bit what you want to say, but the correct sentence is not like that"...
Meaning that in english, you have to put any "a", any "the", any "many", and so many other things, and in chinese, man doesn't really have to use it.
I may am wrong by saying it, but this was told to me by a chinese friend..., so, if anybody else over here or your ladies/wives can confirm with a good sentence (english translated to chinese by google translator), and say if it is really correct, it would also be good, don't you think? Just know too that actually, I'm still using Google Translator like most of you.
- Let's Rock -

David5o

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:08:07 pm »
Willy,

Now that's British humour..... straight of the cuff and said with a dead-pan face as well no-doubt. hahaha!!

David.......
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:13:21 pm by David5o »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:25:08 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='11291' dateline='1249589287'

Willy,

Now that's British humour..... straight of the cuff and said with a dead-pan face as well no-doubt. hahaha!!

David.......

British Humour - I thought I was being serious!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 05:45:19 pm »
I use LEC translate. it is not perfect but, I type what I want to write, then it translates it to  Chinese then the Chinese back to English, that way I can see what it says without all of the fuss.  And only change a word or two immediately see the results then post.  it didnt cost an arm or leg either.  I think it was about $69.00.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

David5o

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:25:25 am »
Willy,

It must of been the sarcasm that threw me then, but it did give me a good chuckle ...hahaha!!

David....

Offline victor-hills

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 06:29:17 am »
Sounds like vince got out the wrong side of the bed.British Humour its neaver right in your face its the sutallness and a bit of sarcasm in there too lol.
Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.

David5o

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:54 am »
Victor,

I didn't say ''right in your face'' ....I said, ....straight off the cuff, and with a dead-pan face!!

But whatever, it did give me a good old chuckle. Thank god Lucy wasn't here, i would of spent half an hour explaining that one away, ....hahaha!!

David....

Offline victor-hills

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 08:07:09 am »
Lol David i neaver sead you was saying its right in your face i was saying British Humour is neaver right in your face hehe ;), oh by the way i use babylon works ok and you can get it for free if you now were your looking.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:09:07 am by victor-hills »
Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.

shaun

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:49:43 am »
Willy,

What has been said about google is accurate.  It is good sentence by sentence but you need to used simple language and cut down the amount of useless words.  Also, their sentence structure is not like ours but it has been my experience that they get the message.  But make sure you translate back to English.  I have seen the software change the whole meaning.  Example: you write in English, "I like you,"  It translates, "I hate you."  It happens but you need to rearrange words and make sure you do not translate to many words at once. The software gets confused and will send your woman the wrong message.  I told one woman I was writing , that if it sounds wrong or bad ask me because it is likely that it is wrong.

Good Hunting,

Shaun