Author Topic: Important message for all current and future members  (Read 33595 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Important message for all current and future members
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:17:27 pm »
With all that has been going on lately with a certain member being banned, we wanted to post some things we have been working on.  I am posting them here for now, and they will be added to a sign up page when new members join.

Mods will be starting to use the warning level, should the need arise to sanction members who are not acting in good faith. The following is for you to understand what the various sanctions are.

-1 pts general warning for, vulgar or inappropriate language, ethnically-sexually-religiously degrading.

-2 pts personal or directed attacks of flaming toward any member, racially offensive.

-5 pts threats of violence or retribution directed toward any member.

Reported PM's do apply.

When a users warning level reaches 50% (5 points) - they loose posting privileges for a day. They can still post over PM.
When a users warning level reaches 75% (8 points) - they loose posting privileges for a week. They can still over PM.
When a users warning level reaches 100% (10 points) - they get banned for a month. They cannot log in, they cannot send PM's, they can only view publicly visible forums.

Just for clarification, no mod can simply ban someone from the site for no reason.  In some instances, a mod can ban, but then they have to let the other mods know, and a vote is taken by them.  If a majority of them reach a consensus, whatever way their decision goes, is the direction that is taken.  So when a majority vote is taken to remove a member, it is because the majority of the mods feel that the person in question is not serving the best interests of this group.

Here is some new information, and a guideline that the mods are using.

Please signup using a name the moderators can identify with. Using your Chnlove name (if you are a member there) is preferred.
Avoid using names that we cannot identify or numeral names. This forum is for connecting with other men who are in relationships with Chinese women, and Not for slandering. Please be respectful of others.

Administrator - Martin
Tech - Irishman

Super Moderator -
Maxx

Moderators
Arnold
Chong
Rhonald

If a false name or e-mail address becomes detected, the result is a ISP ban which may be permanent.

This forum is free from Advertisements or Popups. Do not advertise or use our members e-mails to spam, or advertise for profit unless it has some value to our forum.

Enjoy your stay and thank you for visiting the China Love message board.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:37:43 pm by Martin »

Offline Darius

RE: Important message for all current and future members
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:34:08 am »
Martin...... Just a few questions for better understanding.

There is no choice to ban a member permanently, right? since the longest period of the ban is limited to one  month.

You and Irish dont participate in making a decision? Just the Mods?

Because its been clearly defined the preconditions and terms of the ban, there is no room for any individual decision of a Mod or the Majority of the Mods to ban someone?

What do you mean with a false name? Has it to do with the already banned members?

Thanks

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:54:06 am »
Darius, I think Martin refers to I.P adress which allows to know if any banned member tries to come back over here but with anything else than his original name, which is also banned ;)
if the I.P adress is blacklisted, so, there's no way (anyway) for the member to come back and to register here... except from anywhere else than the place where the I.P is blacklisted...

Hm...
Maybe am I wrong, maybe not.
- Let's Rock -

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:38 am »
Hi Darius.  Thanks for the questions.  Let me try to clear things up for you.

There is an option to ban a member permanently.  Should a member reach `100% warning level, the system will ban them for one month.  In the time,. the mods will be discussing the situation, and decide from there what to do.  If they vote to permanent ban, then this is what will happen.

In general, Irishman stays out of most votes.  There are times he gets involved.  As the admin, I stay out of all votes, unless there is a tie.  I might give my opinion, but I don't vote.

There is still room for an individual mod or even majority of mods to ban someone...but I would think that this would be under some sort of special circumstance.  Under normal conditions, a mod would not have to ban someone.

As far as what makes a false name, I will use a recent case, where a person signed up with the name 888.  Two different mods sent the persona a pm asking them to use a name.  Nothing changed, so a 24 hour ban was imposed.  Now, that being said, not all of our members use a common name, and I will use the example of mpo4747...in this case, the member often signs the end of his posts with his real name, so I know this member is Mike.  Because he signs with his name, I don't have a problem with it.  Using strictly numbers makes it very impersonal here.

If you have any other questions, please ask away.

Vince G

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:44 am »
Banning depends on the degree of the matter and who it is. In the beginning we had some that came in here just to start trouble. They're gone now. Banned for life. They weren't members of the forum they were just signed into it. The warnings are general. We have to account for the unusual. Like any forum there are rules to follow, just we were counting more on common sense. Now ALL knows there are rules to follow.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:35:54 am »
This "special" thread should "pop up" for any new member who sign up, I think.
It then would show them the rules to follow when being here.
- Let's Rock -

Vince G

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:41:20 am »
Yes Sly but it will be a page to read before you sign up, not a pop up.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:59:10 am »
That sounds better ^^'
- Let's Rock -

Offline Darius

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »
Martin...Its now clear how it works. Its more than fair. A month will be long time enough to calm down and correct the inappropriate behaviour if someone really sets a great store by being a part of this brotherhood.

Appreciate you, Irish and all the Mods doing an excellent job.

Offline raymond-

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:58:35 pm »
just an observation in terms of observing different forum accounts on same IP address.  here in Seattle,
there are tons of free wireless access points for folks to use.  I see folks parked and sitting outside local
libraries well after closing.  so same IP address, though prima facie violation, many not always be
so something to keep in mind.
raymond-
47º34'N 122º18'W

Vince G

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 12:21:05 am »
No actually all online computers have a IP. There's a lot number assigned to your service provider and one of those numbers becomes yours. Just like a phone number. Even if you go to a WiFi (Starbucks etc) your number comes up so this is who they charge for the air use. The ones sitting outside libraries have IP numbers too. It's just stolen so not traceable to them. But if it was banned they have to steal another. Moving or using a different service changes the IP. Bouncing is another but your paying several services for this in several countries, a scammers favorite.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:21:26 am by Vince G »

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 01:21:12 pm »
Sorry I been gone for a while......  What happened?? Someone PM me I would be interested to know.
Jimmy Henson

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 05:10:23 pm »
Guys.  I don't know what to write here, but I am getting complaints about people abusing the User Reputation Rating.  Sometimes you are going to get a negative reputation.  Deal with it.  Turning around and returning a negative rep to the person who gave you a negative reputation is childish, and unacceptable.  I am not going to name anyone's name here.  If you can't handle the getting something negative, leave the forum.  Things do tend to get rough around here at times.  People here tell it like it is.  If a bad reputation point is going to put you over the edge, then you are in the wrong place.

I have fixed the reputation points that I was told about.  In the future, any counter negative points that are uncalled for, will result in a warning being issued.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 06:33:25 pm »
oh, do we have any "child", trying to be nice, just to get a nice pic as reward? too bad...
- Let's Rock -

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »
Vince G: actually you're IP is not unique in most cases. See NAT.