Author Topic: western computers and chinese women...  (Read 4425 times)

Vince G

RE: western computers and chinese women...
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:50:38 am »
I recently asked my lady the same. Because she's not computer savvy I asked if I sent her one would she be able to use it and get the internet? She replied with in her words. "The computer is very expensive, and I don't want you to spend too much money on it. So what do I do send something she doesn't want to use?

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 12:20:56 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='11808' dateline='1249829438'

I recently asked my lady the same. Because she's not computer savvy I asked if I sent her one would she be able to use it and get the internet? She replied with in her words. "The computer is very expensive, and I don't want you to spend too much money on it. So what do I do send something she doesn't want to use?

Good point Vince  just because she has the computer, even one bought over there is no guarantee that she can use it or would use it.  Man this long distance stuff is tough but the rewards when it works out far outway the problems.

Also I just wrote her a letter asking about the agency email and internet cafes, and if maybe she had a friend who was computer literate she could use their computer.  So now its up to her.  I will wait for her reply before doing anything stupid  hehe.

Thanks as  always for the help guys you are great

Brian
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:07:25 am by Brian Mc »

David5o

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 03:59:56 pm »
Vince,

She said she doesn't want you to spend too much money on it . ....I read that as, yeah!! ....OK, buy me a cheap one!!  hahaha!!

David....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:00:17 pm by David5o »

Offline Ed W

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 04:15:50 pm »
IMHO I'd stick with EMF's for now. The diffeculty just getting a computer to her, getting is setup and anything else that could possible go wrong would just add much frustration for her and likely you as well.

You could wire her the money but that wouldnt be easy either since it would require a great deal of trust on her part to give you her bank account number.

For now I'd sit back and keep doing the norm until a better idea presents itself.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 10:57:48 pm »
Greetings guys,

Once again great advice from the brothers.  Ed you know i never thought about how to get the money to her but you are right her giving me her bank account would require a massive leap of faith.

Mike I am not sure about her learning english I know all the profiles say teh ladies are learning but I never actually asked her DUH!! I sure am thick sometimes.  I did tell her I was trying to learn Mandarin but its hard withot someone to teach you.  So yea that might be an option as well.  We could read parts of our letters to each other so we also have the printed page in front of us.... great idea Mike.

Thanks guys as always for teh advice it is appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 11:30:32 pm »
Quote from: 'Brian Mc' pid='11921' dateline='1249873068'

Greetings guys,

Once again great advice from the brothers.  Ed you know i never thought about how to get the money to her but you are right her giving me her bank account would require a massive leap of faith.

Mike I am not sure about her learning english I know all the profiles say teh ladies are learning but I never actually asked her DUH!! I sure am thick sometimes.  I did tell her I was trying to learn Mandarin but its hard withot someone to teach you.  So yea that might be an option as well.  We could read parts of our letters to each other so we also have the printed page in front of us.... great idea Mike.

Thanks guys as always for teh advice it is appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

My two cents worth:  A $500 computer is cheaper than a $3,000 trip to find out you are rowing up a raging stream.  Send the money Western Union.  $500 will cost you about $100.  She can pick it up at her local post office. Make sure she knows how much of your own currency you sent. She will be asked that when she picks it up.  If you are comfortable with your translator, forward her the email confirm you get from WU.  It has all the needed info on it.  

Your lady can buy the lap top at WalMart.  I like the Lenovo idea someone had.  No tariffs.
Skip

feisnik

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 12:06:35 am »
MoneyGram is cheaper for sending money to China. Lenovo is the best idea for a computer to China, as they are based there and readily have Chinese versions available. But again, as even ChnLove.com says, you should NEVER send money to someone you have never met. The scam artists, pick pockets, etc. are so much better in China than America, that you should at least have had that face-to-face meeting before giving her money. Most Chinese women would never dare ask for money until after you  were married anyway.

rockycoon

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 01:51:02 am »
To Brian and Robert,
First a note of caution, I was hooked into a "relationship" with an interperter so to speak.  thought I was writing to an angel, and the agency was putting me on for months.  they even sent phoney pictures, all airbrushed of course to me.  I recieved one letter with an actual photo of her and it looked nothing like her.  She quit writing after 6 months of buying emf's and the agency said she never came in anymore, and no one seemed to know anything about it...hummm - at one time, I was going to send her a cowboy hat, but found out that the cost of sending anything was so expensive, for a few dollars more I could buy a plane ticket for myself!  What the heck...

As to the chinese to english and back agian, I also would like to know the name of that program !!!  You might also try a free program on the internet called "bable fish" you can write your letter in pin yang or old chinese and it will translate to chinese, then copy it to say, yahoo mail and send it. you can do the reverse also with her letters.  Works pretty good.

Just a few thoughts.....hope it helps...never send money go there yourself and then buy it....:fi_lone_ranger:
I for one would like to know more about that free e-mail vince that is offered by the agency in there contracts, and do they have webcam also ??
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:07:41 am by rockycoon »

David5o

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 12:53:30 pm »
Rockycoon.

No mate, it's basically just the same as sending an EMF but via an email address, except you don't pay for the translation in either direction. It's an agency controlled email address, but the lady can access it from her personal, work, or net cafe computer.

I suppose, when you come to think of it Rocky  ...you could set-up an Yahoo IM account linked to it (the email address tends to always be a Yahoo address). But she would have to set her end up herself !! ...Best ask on the Forum, if anyone has actually done that yet??
Once you have IM you have webcam facility.... why didn't i think of that before?? ...DUH!!

Babel Fish is crap, Google is better, but still not good enough for a proper conversation.

David....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:56:34 pm by David5o »

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 04:37:09 pm »
Here's a thought which may make someone's life a little simpler.  You can click on the link below and download a cleartype font for Mandarin characters.  Once you install this into Windows (this is for XP--don't know if it will work for Vista or Win7) it magically shows up in Google Translator when you cut and paste English and then translate into Traditional Chinese.

Hope it helps.  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...laylang=en
Skip

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 04:56:00 pm »
Quote from: 'Skip' pid='12014' dateline='1249936629'

Here's a thought which may make someone's life a little simpler.  You can click on the link below and download a cleartype font for Mandarin characters.  Once you install this into Windows (this is for XP--don't know if it will work for Vista or Win7) it magically shows up in Google Translator when you cut and paste English and then translate into Traditional Chinese.

Hope it helps.  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...laylang=en

Hi Skip thanks for the link, however when I click on it it gives me multiple pages with multiple links.  Can you clarify exactly which one I need?

Thanks  

Brian

Offline ahkiwi

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 05:06:29 pm »
Might be one of the following ...

Simplified Chinese ClearType fonts for Windows XP

Traditional Chinese ClearType fonts for Windows XP

Note: It looks like it will download the appropriate OS font automatically, i.e. VistaFont if you're running Vista
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:09:33 pm by ahkiwi »
World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago.

Ali (???)
QQ: 860848209

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 06:46:51 pm »
Quote from: 'ahkiwi' pid='12018' dateline='1249938389'

Might be one of the following ...

Simplified Chinese ClearType fonts for Windows XP

Traditional Chinese ClearType fonts for Windows XP

Note: It looks like it will download the appropriate OS font automatically, i.e. VistaFont if you're running Vista

Thanks Al,

Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Skip