General Discussion and Useful Links > Ask An Experienced Member

Chatting with your lady on msn/yahoo etc - confusing acronym

(1/2) > >>

Irishman:
Ok,

Heres a couple of things that i havent the foggiest of what she is trying to say , maybe someone here can shed some light on it :-

1) la or lah - eg - i thought the show was ok lah - don't think its laughter, maybe la la ..it was boring? (have seen this now with Ling and her friend on msn - its obviously a common acronym)
2) 886 - 8's usually mean luck, but 886 has me stumped?

if anyone else has others they would like to share I'm fascinated, and if you know what the heck "la" or "lah" means then I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Ronan.

Paul Todd:
Hi Ronan
  " 886" is a cute way of saying " Bye bye"

Irishman:

--- Quote from: "Paul Todd" ---Hi Ronan
  " 886" is a cute way of saying " Bye bye"
--- End quote ---

Thanks Paul, we were saying bye bye.

Irishman:
Paul, la..lah..any ideas?

Paul Todd:
Hi Ronan
Didn't have time to post an explanation before.
The Chinese have a tradition of associating certain words with numbers or things based on the similarities of sound.Like, the number eight is considered a lucky number because it is pronounced "ba", which sounds like the Chinese word for prosperity fa. Similarly, the number four is associated with bad luck because it is pronounced "si", which sounds like the Chinese word for death si. Most of the words are represented with numbers having a similar sound or a least a similar leading consonant.
360-Miss you
0358-You miss me
04592-You are my beloved
1314921-Love you for a lifetime360
5240-You are my love
526-I'm hungry
555-Wu wu wu (sobbing sound)
58-Good night
6868-Sneak out! Sneak out!
775-Kiss me
04551-You are the one and only for me

I'm to old for this lah.
Lah is used to affirm a statement,similar to "of course". It is derived from and has the same meaning as the Chinese expression ?. Which when written in pinyin is La.
La La is Chinese slang for lesbian  :o
Of course context is everything  hehe hehe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version