Author Topic: cell phone  (Read 2973 times)

feisnik

RE: cell phone
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 10:29:54 pm »
It is the same number forever. I have numbers for my wife, her mom, her sister, her friend in GuangZhou, etc. When you call them, it assigns a number for you too so that they can call you cheaply. It is a collect call where you pay the $0.019 and they get to call you for free. I highly recommend this service. I use it 3-4 times a week to call my wife and used it 2 times a day in the 2 weeks before her interview to make sure she was completely prepared.

feisnik

RE: cell phone
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 11:11:55 pm »
Quote from: 'sameldrum1' pid='11609' dateline='1249699811'

Feisnik,

Are you saying that the RebTel service not only allows you to call your lady in China, but allows her to call you collect and she does not pay anything, but you still only pay 1.9 cents per minute?  (As my lady often says...REALLY???)  

Scott

Yes. She calls this number and it is a collect call to you where you pay the 1.9 cents and she just pays for a local call (if there is any charge for this on her plan).

brett

Teaching your girl English
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 05:04:56 am »
Hi all,

I've been on chnlove a couple of weeks and have found someone I'm very interested in :angel:.

However, she admits her English is not good (and I suspect many of the girls on the site are in a similar situation).

To the experienced members I'd like to ask how long it took for them to teach their girls English? Have you send your girl on English courses or taught her yourself?

While I think we could get by in Mandrish for a while, here in England we now have citizenship tests for immigrants so if I brought back a girl she would have to learn the language within a couple of years or risk being deported :huh:.

As to the citizenship test, what a farce, despite being born here I got 42% and you need 75% to pass! :icon_biggrin:

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: Teaching your girl English
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 05:24:57 am »
The test is not your problem Brett.  Its taking the poor girl back to Colchester that is.  Sorry mate just a joke and I had better not tell you what my sister does for a living in Colchester.

Seriously though my girl has very little English the first time I mewt her I think her limit was 1 -10 which she proudly spoke many times that afternoon. We both have Besta translators but words and actions work well.  She is now learning English and she has three  2 hour English classes a week.  But we have no intentions of moving back to UK she just has little faith in me becoming profficient in her language she thought that she had better take mine more serious.

I have also devised her an MP3 that she can listen to on the way to work.  Full of good phrases spoken clearly.  Every evening that she does not have classes we spend an hour or so going through many pages of english phrases and I explain that the easy way of remembering some of the more widely used words.

I intend to put the MP3's on my website one day wityh the words so all can share them.

She will have more than two years for the citizenship test.  She cannot apply until she has been in UK for three years so that extra year will make a difference

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

brett

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 05:32:21 am »
Ha! No problems with Colchester, we have great language teaching facilities at the Uni! We're also getting a Waitrose next month so things are looking up innit :icon_cheesygrin:.

It's also near London so buying Chinese goods is dead easy.

If the global jobs market was better I'd be tempted to move to Asia, as I work in IT so could potentially work anywhere. I'd guess I could teach programming to Chinese students, that could be quite a lucrative sideline.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 11:04:20 pm »
Would you be teaching them in Chinese or English as every computer here except mine is in Chinese.  Before I had broadband fitted a friend loaned me her office but although I could get into my sites I was unable to do any work on them at all.

What I have found is that although a great number of computers aread in China they are not cheap here.  I was round the computer are of Zhuhai yesterday and they are selling laptops at the equivalent opf £600 - £700.

But there are hundreds of repairers in the same area.

Colchester is not a bad place my sister keeps the traffic flowing there!!!  (So she says but she has always been that way inclined.)

From where I lived in London I was going to China Town in Soho every week and it is getting more touristy every year but it would make a nice change for her.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Ed W

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 11:14:09 pm »
My wife has been taking english classes for several months and although she can read very well, she doesnt know what the words mean. I know I've heard of some ladies self teaching english but I think there's much value in enrolling in a formal english class.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

• Board Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 06:13:08 am »
Your spot on Ed

That is the problem - many know the words to look at them because they learn from many written methods - usually books.  But they do not know how the words sound in most cases.  And the meanings pass them by.  

But when it comes to hear the words they are stuck.  I have meet a girl here who has enough English words thst she can read that would fill a dictionary and she works as a document translator.  I thought that I would have some good convewrsations with her but she does not speak more than a couple of dozen of those words!!

She is one of many that is wanting me to teach her English.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Vince G

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 08:29:03 am »
Willy, This is where my lady came up with english lessons on the phone. She studies the english words and spelling on her own. I call on Saturday and most of the phone call is her listening to how I say the same sentence. She says a sentence and I say it back to her so she hears how it sounds.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:30:00 am by Vince G »

brett

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 09:05:22 am »
I've enrolled on a Mandarin course and I will find an English course for my lady, so we'll meet halfway hopefully!

If we had kids I don't know what language they would end up speaking, especially if they went to the nursery in work which has kids from just about every corner of the globe :icon_biggrin:.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 09:15:56 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='13281' dateline='1250600722'

I've enrolled on a Mandarin course and I will find an English course for my lady, so we'll meet halfway hopefully!

If we had kids I don't know what language they would end up speaking, especially if they went to the nursery in work which has kids from just about every corner of the globe :icon_biggrin:.

I did the same thing Brett. I was fortunate enough to have a Chinese language school right our the corner from where I live. It's every saturday from Sept till May so, like you, I'll be trying to meet her half way. But honestly it's more about one day being able to properly greet my new parents and get to know them better as well as they get to know me, and of course the rest of the family.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china