Author Topic: Translator suggesting not to use Emf's!  (Read 1597 times)

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
Translator suggesting not to use Emf's!
« on: August 17, 2009, 03:06:48 pm »
Just to say, i had an interesting message from my girl and our translator today, I have been trying to get more direct contact with my girl as i believe it will make us feel closer to each other, But she is a little on the shy side and not too confident on her English. Also i dropped a note to the translator asking if her agency offers computers for the girls to use as my girl does not have one at home, and does not feel safe using Internet cafes.

Surprisingly, our translator has told my girl that the Emf's are very expensive for us guys to send and receive messages and she has Got her to set up a QQ address for us to Chat to each other with, and also she suggested she gave me her phone number. (which she did, and now wants me to ring her..!) I have to say, with all the talk of scamming agencies and the revenue the agencies get from our Emf's I find it refreshing that a translator has done this for us.

I just wondered if anyone else out there has experienced the translator trying to get the girls away from using Emf's? Or have i found one of the good guys out there? :))

Andy
Every now and then i get a little bit nervous at the death of all the years have gone by....!

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: Translator suggesting not to use Emf's!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 03:15:47 pm »
I got away from using EMF's and paying the agency directly.  it was cheaper than using chnlove.

David5o

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:23:59 pm »
Andy,

If her English is not up to much, IM isn't going to help you out much. Why not ask the translator to give you her agency email address, that way you can still write as you were before. The email goes thru the translator in both directions as before too, it's just your not paying for it, as you are with EMF's. You can still go for the IM route too, as a way of closer contact ... But if her English is not too clever right now, the email address will keep the communication flowing. The email address is part of your ladies contractual undertaking with the agency, that's one of the reasons they pay so much in the initial fee..... for the translation facility!!

David....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:00:37 pm by David5o »

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:43:07 pm »
Well, according to our translator, my girls English is a lot better than my girl thinks it is, and the translator says she will be able to understand me, She is just rather shy to speak it. I guess i will find out this weekend when i call her... :) But thanks for the other tip on the agency email route, as i do still intend to send the majority of my messages through a translator for the moment, in case anything is lost in translation when we speak.
Andy.
Every now and then i get a little bit nervous at the death of all the years have gone by....!

Offline TomFisher

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:55:13 pm »
I had a similar experience, my wife was very hesitant to give up the security of the EMF because she doubted her English.  I wrote to the translator a couple times and she also told me my wife's English is better than I thought.  She was right!  We chatted on the phone for a short time and then went to email and QQ and it all worked.  Not to say there weren't times when we had a little difficulty but it all worked.  One thing that may help ease your girl's mind is if you try to speak a little Chinese to her as well.  When I first called my wife I fumbled horribly with some Chinese and she appreciated the fact that I tried.  About an hour after we got off the phone I got an email from her that was full of relief that we made it through our first conversation and she was very supportive of my effort to learn Chinese.  After that call she felt at ease and we were both equal in trying to learn a new language.  We have spent a lot of time laughing in QQ and on the phone at some of the crazy pronunciations we come up with.

Just my $0.02.

Peace,

tom

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:42:42 pm »
Hi Tom.

I do agree with you on trying to speak to her in Chinese. I have just signed up for a years course at college on beginners Mandarin, where i will learn to write and speak Chinese. I think we all need to do this as i beleive a relationship is a 50/50 partnership and its unfair to make her do all the work, ie learn my language, move to my country, do all of the cooking. (i hope she likes beans on toast...! :icon_cheesygrin:) If i can do anything to make my girls life with me easier then i will.

Andy

David5o

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:11:07 pm »
Andy,

You try getting a Chinese wife to go the 50/50 route..... Iv'e been trying for 3 years and i wouldn't say i'm anywhere near 50/50!! It's all you can do, for her to let you help in anything household. But she is always the first there, if you need any help around the house!! .....Strange to us i know, ...but True!!!!

David.....

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:12:37 pm »
That's a good sign Andy.  Sounds like you have a good translator and agency and girl.  

Our translator said that when I go home, we can send her emails and she will translate and foreward them for us.  EMF is too expensive.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:51:05 pm »
Andy,

David is right - I have discussed this with my girl and she was insistant that she would run the house and I would make the decisions - I spent hours trying to get her to see my point of view and share everything 50 -50 but have now decided that retreat is almost a battle won.

The only thing we have jointly decided on is that anything to do with the house, feeding, what clothes I should wear - in fact just about everything including looking after the finances will be her responsibility!  My job is to provide the home.   I always have the last word - it is usually ignored but I do have the last word.

There is no such thing as a 50 -50 share in Chinese Culture - the man makes all the major decision such as which TV channel to watch when she is out!!!  

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

David5o

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 06:01:23 pm »
Willy,

Hahaha!! ...I just couldn't of put that any better, You only get to make the final decision, ...When the s**t hits the fan, then they can always blame you for the mess, ...hahaha!!
But she'll still be the one cleaning that mess up....lol!!

David.....