Author Topic: Chinese Movies - See a Chinese movie? share it here.  (Read 11951 times)

Offline Ed W

Chinese Movies - See a Chinese movie? share it here.
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:13:13 am »
Last night I was about the call it and hit the bed and thought I'd just surf through the program listing on the tv just to see what's on and came across a movie called "Lost in Beijing" on the Sundance channel.  I had only missed about the first 20minutes or so but came in on this wild love scene in the shower between the husband and wife. Of course now I gotta see what this is about.

So I found it to be a up and down kinda movie but was fascinated with the intricacies of their culture, as I always have, and much of the interaction going on between the cast members throughout the movie. It wasn't rated really high amungst movie critics but I found it very interesting. Sometimes sad, sometimes funny but I couldnt turn it off. If you can get your hands on it, it's in english subtitles so you'll have to deal with that and the dialog moves quick so you'd better be a quick reader or have a hand on the reverse button.

Here's the link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_Beijing
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:13:49 am by Ed W »
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline davidaquincy

RE: Chinese Movies - See a Chinese movie? share it here.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:17:24 pm »
Ed,

I have watched that movie 3 times now. I have my DVR set on the Sundance channel all the time. I look for all Asian movies. There are quite several very good movies on there. Lost in Beijing was very good!

I check weekly ahead of what I should tape. BTW every Sunday evening Midnight mountain time here on the Sundance channel the have what they call "Asia Extreme" If you are a horror movie fan take a look at some of the movies. I think I have 15 movies saved on my DVR that are of Asian types. I enjoy every once in awhile watching them again.
When I get home this evening I will send you some names of my favorites. Many great movies out there. I just joined a Asian movie club that sends you Movies through the mail much like blockbuster and netflix. If you want the info I will send when I get home.

Have a good one everyone!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:22:42 pm by davidaquincy »

Offline daghoi

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 06:25:29 pm »
Manya years ago (10 ?) i saw this movie called "Road Home". It is one of  Ziyi Zhang first films. She has later played in more famous movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but no martial arts in Road Home, it is a slow movie. Very nice filmed.

Here you can read more about it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235060/

Offline raymond-

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:19:16 pm »
i've seen that, daghoi.  you're right.  it played out...long...like a
Kurosawa movie.  i dozed and had to go back and pick up the
parts I missed.  still, a movie worth watching.

one lady I was writing to recommended that I watch Ang Li's,
'Lust Caution' which was quite steamy in some parts and I
understand has been banned in China as a result.  (wonder
how she watched it).  this one is pretty good, also

I enjoyed "Raise the Red Lantern", "Eat Drink Man Woman",
to name a couple more.

I laughed my butt off watching Kung Fu Hustle but that's quite
a different type of film.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:21:35 pm by raymond- »
raymond-
47º34'N 122º18'W

feisnik

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »
The Road Home is awesome. It is a MUST WATCH movie.

My other top favorite Chinese Movies include:

Then Banquet / Legend of the Black Scorpion
Curse of the Golden Flower
Hero
Fearless
The Myth
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Once Upon a Time in China I-V
The Last Emperor

You will learn a lot about Chinese history, culture, and such from watching these movies. I would go so far as to call them MUST-WATCH movies!

Vince G

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:30:35 pm »
Just looking through some movies? There was a movie I was looking for that I seen but can't remember the title? But anyway came across this, I haven't seen it yet but seemed fitting for some wondering in the forum here.

How Far Do Leaves Fall? (2007)

'How Far Do Leaves Fall?' is part of a wider oral history project by CMHA. It presents a fascinating personal history of Chinese immigration in London. How did it feel leaving your home and arriving in a strange country where you didn't speak the language? Can you truly live comfortably, embracing all elements of your heritage, whilst living in a modern British society? In oral history interviews Chinese immigrants discuss issues of community, belonging and assimilation, whilst the second and third generations describe life between these two rich and vibrant cultures and what their roots and heritage mean to them.
Found the other movie I was looking for "Shanghai Kiss" the movie makes me think of Chong. :icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:45:40 pm by Vince G »

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:21:36 pm »
"The Road Home" is a must see.  I asked my lady what movies she watched and she recommended; "If you are the one".  I found this very interesting, as it is a Chinese guy looking for a wife on-line.  Even this guy struck out many times.

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 03:10:04 pm »
I know it's been mentioned, but if you like your Chinese epics, Hero is amazing, also (i think most would have seen this) House of flying daggers, and Red Cliff are fantastic and very visual films. Another film i liked is called Dumplings. And although not Chinese, Mongol is good. Personally i love Japanese horror, if so check out The Ring, and The grudge. (not the rubbish American remakes) And if you like Anime, then Akira is a classic, along with Fist of the North Star, and The Ninja Scrolls. Happy viewing

Andy.
Every now and then i get a little bit nervous at the death of all the years have gone by....!

feisnik

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 06:29:58 pm »
Quote from: 'wilsbrough' pid='13623' dateline='1250795404'

I know it's been mentioned, but if you like your Chinese epics, Hero is amazing, also (i think most would have seen this) House of flying daggers, and Red Cliff are fantastic and very visual films. Another film i liked is called Dumplings. And although not Chinese, Mongol is good. Personally i love Japanese horror, if so check out The Ring, and The grudge. (not the rubbish American remakes) And if you like Anime, then Akira is a classic, along with Fist of the North Star, and The Ninja Scrolls. Happy viewing

Andy.

Andy, I agree, House of Flying Daggers and Red Cliff are in my top 10 movies of all time. Mongol is also great, gives you some great history of North China too.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 06:23:09 am »
Dumplings...hahaha I bet Martin watched that and drooled...lol:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Offline Ed W

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:14:15 am »
I just caught another decent movie on Sundance channel. "The Home Song Stories". Here's the brief.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452631/
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

ttwjr32

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 11:38:12 am »
Ed
I saw that one also and thought it was pretty good. has anyone seen
So Close  its an action film about 2 sisters and the lady cop chasing
them their dad invented a security system that would revelutionize
the world. comedy in it also  thought that was entertaining also.
 Ted

Offline Ed W

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 12:19:01 pm »
I just looked up "So Close" in my channel guide on the tv and it's not listed. I'll have to get creative to find it.:icon_biggrin: Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 04:23:26 pm »
We watched a movie, an old one called Nanking, very good and explains alot.
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline Philip

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 05:02:04 pm »
House of flying daggers and Hero were directed by Zhang Yimou, one of the 'Fifth' generation of Chinese directors. He is a former cinematographer, which shows in the amazing visual textures in his fims. He did the cinematography for another of that new generation of Chinese fimmakers, Chen Kaige. Then he struck out on his own in the late eighties and directed some amazing films.
I would strongly recommend Red Sorghum, Ju Dou, Raise the Red Lantern, To Live and The Road Home, all Zhang Yimou films. Red Sorghum was the first major role of the actress Gong Li, and she was like his muse, appearing in many subsequent films. Later on he worked with Zhang Ziyi in the recent blockbusters.
His films share an amzing sense of colour, composition, tragic and historical themes and just pure, visceral storytelling.
Go and watch them. You will be blown away.