Author Topic: UK Flights to China - best connecting destination?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: UK Flights to China - best connecting destination?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:02 am »
Brett,

Be careful about going overboard with spending.  You will find that you lady and her family regardless of there staus in life will be more impressed with someone who knows how to save money rather than spalsh out on un needed items and services.    They will not think that you are well off.  They will think of the old maxim 'a fool and his money etc'  Show prudence and you will win the day.

If you do not believe me then go to any big supermarket in China and watch even the best dressed women search out each individual tomato, each grape even , to ensure they are perfect and one will not be wasted.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

David5o

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 08:44:01 am »
Brett,

I lived in Hong Kong, for just over 3 years, ..yes it's pretty much a cheap place to live and work. The one area of being Expensive, is ''property'' which in turn reflect downwards thru to rental and hotel room tariffs. They are in most cases much more expensive than the rest of neighbouring Asia, yes you can get cheaper rooms, but they were generally not in the best of areas etc... The general standard of most of the available better hotels were 3 stars and above. I can still remember the rental cost of my 3 bed apartment in Yau Yat Chuen garden city, to my company from that time in the late 80's, early 90's as being 19000 hk dollars a month, which was then around 10 hk to 1gbp so around 1900 gbp. what that cost would be now?? ...god only knows ...hahaha!! When i couldn't be bothered to cook at home, i used to frequent my local Spaghetti House outlet, great Spaggetti and Pizza's and other Italian fare...  

But at that time, you could clothe yourself for a year, for around 150 gbp, at the fabulous markets, and it would be all good clobber. ...haha!! I used to take advantage of the factory outlets too, in and around Lai Chi Kok too, getting huge savings on top designer clothes. ...Alas most of those factories have now moved operations to mainland China now.  

Hahaha, ... you just brought back a lot of memories there Brett. ...lol!!

Oh, one more thing, it wasn't Nerita i used to fly into, for  Tokyo, it was the other one!! ...If anyone was scammed it was the company, My travel arrangements were all pre-arranged and pre-paid, i just looked at the price on the train tickets... haha!!

David....

brett

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 11:42:29 am »
David5o, if you flew into Haneda rather than Narita then you probably paid more. I've heard that flights from other Asian countries to Japan are expensive though.

Willy - I'm quite thrifty so I will think of ways to make this show. I'm aiming for thoughtful gifts rather than expensive gifts. And I'll stay in a 3 star hotel in Guangzhou and take the subway to the agency, that way I'll have enough money left to get ripped off by taxi drivers, translators etc.

I've also bought a lovely top notch new camera for the trip, but I'll buy my SD cards on eBay for peanuts lol.

Offline Chinese Knot

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 09:53:11 pm »
Hello Brett ,

I have just read your post , maybe it is a little late to give you a reply ,because other brothers told you more ideas here .  yes, I am gald you have already found the flights to Guangzhou and the hotels there , if you meet any other questions about the domestic flights or hotels in China , I would love to give you my help as I can . Wish you have a nice trip !

brett

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 03:56:56 am »
Hi Mr. Knot. I need to apply for my visa first so I haven't booked anything up yet.

If you have any tips for flights and hotels in Guangzhou then let me know. I'm intending to go there in early October.

I'd be interested in knowing what the best flight is from Heathrow (i.e. where to change planes for Guangzhou).

Also let me know if you have any hotel tips.

I'll be booking this trip on Expedia, but when I'm more familiar with my lady I'll maybe let her book something for subsequent visits.

Offline Chinese Knot

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 10:16:05 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='15342' dateline='1251964616'

Hi Mr. Knot. I need to apply for my visa first so I haven't booked anything up yet.

If you have any tips for flights and hotels in Guangzhou then let me know. I'm intending to go there in early October.

I'd be interested in knowing what the best flight is from Heathrow (i.e. where to change planes for Guangzhou).

Also let me know if you have any hotel tips.

I'll be booking this trip on Expedia, but when I'm more familiar with my lady I'll maybe let her book something for subsequent visits.

Hello Brett

Firstly you can compare the cost and time of the flight from Heathrow to Beijing ,Shanghai and Guangzhou , then you can decide which international flight you will take . As for the internal flight and hotels here , yes, I would love to help you find the economical ones for you . But you need to make sure which international flight you want to take , if you want to land in Yichang airport finally , it will be flexible for you to choose the international flight . And you don't need to ask your lady to meet you in Guangzhou , I think you can ask her to wait for you in Yichang .  I want to know is it necessary for you to land in Guangzhou firstly ?  Anyway , wait for your news and I will do my best to help you .

Offline victor-hills

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 04:14:53 am »
Bit of topic but its really nice to see Chinese knot is one of the good guys so willing to help good on you mate.
Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.

brett

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 04:53:11 am »
Well we were going to meet in Guangzhou as her agency is there. I have since found out that her English is better than expected, so we don't really need a translator after all. But I think I would like to visit the agency anyway in case we decide to progress things, it's good to put names to faces there.

I think it is good to spend a couple of days in Guangzhou anyway as getting 3 flights in a row is too much. It's my first visit to China, and I'd rather visit a Westerner friendly place like Guangzhou first rather than go straight to the country's interior.

Fortunately I have no money worries so I'm not worried where I fly to. But Guangzhou is a pretty cheap destination.

Offline Chinese Knot

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 05:48:43 am »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='15507' dateline='1252140791'

Well we were going to meet in Guangzhou as her agency is there. I have since found out that her English is better than expected, so we don't really need a translator after all. But I think I would like to visit the agency anyway in case we decide to progress things, it's good to put names to faces there.

I think it is good to spend a couple of days in Guangzhou anyway as getting 3 flights in a row is too much. It's my first visit to China, and I'd rather visit a Westerner friendly place like Guangzhou first rather than go straight to the country's interior.

Fortunately I have no money worries so I'm not worried where I fly to. But Guangzhou is a pretty cheap destination.

Hello Brett

Very glad to know your lady can speak better English , that is good for your relationship , after all , communication is very important for the two people .  Truly speaking , Guangzhou is a large city , if you like , you can spend more time there . But I suggest you make a tentative plan for your trip , that will be more useful .  Apart from Guangzhou , Beijing and Shanghai are also international cities where there are a lot of foreigners work and live , as for as I know ,more and more foreigners choose to live and work in China , some of them even doing business here for many years . So Brett , please don't worry about the places where you want to go , you will be safe as long as you abide by the local laws , hehe    Well, now if you still want to land in Guangzhou first and want to find the hotels and flights information , please send me a message anytime , I will do my best to help you . Wish you have a nice time !

Offline ahkiwi

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 09:41:47 am »
I'll be heading Guangzhou (Zhuhai) too at some point, probably March (penciled in a this stage).
World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago.

Ali (???)
QQ: 860848209