Author Topic: Chinese women and real looks vs touch up photo looks  (Read 11003 times)

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
RE: Chinese women and real looks vs touch up photo looks
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »
I said this in another thread.  Since I have been here everytime I go by a photo place, every photo that is being developed is photoshopped, they will stand around for an hour waiting for it to be done.  I had this big talk with my wife about it.  She says that 1.  they think lighter skin is prettier (Yes, I believe it also has to do with being a peasant)  If you will look at pics from the US during the late 1800 to early 1900's fair skin was considered beautiful because of the same thing.  You did not work in the fields.  Hence the umbrella's on a sunny day.  Same thing here.
2.  The older women (30's above) believe we have this image of them(we usually do)  As perfect oriental women.  So they try to give us that.  Plus they see every other picture is done that way so to compete they feel they have to.  Even our wedding pictures had to be done.  Her skin whitened and the shadows under my eyes taken out. (hadnt much sleep).  To us it feels that we are being scammed, to them it is just what they do and have done as long as there have been programs that can do it. Go back and look at the old time photos of Asian women.  You see the enhancements then also.  So cut them some slack when you are looking at this.  They are not intentionally scamming, they are only doing what they have been taught. They are trying to please you.  We have misconceptions and so do they.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline yoshiii

• Trust no one Mr. Moulder
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 01:12:19 am »
Quote from: 'JimB' pid='15082' dateline='1251776124'

I said this in another thread.  Since I have been here everytime I go by a photo place, every photo that is being developed is photoshopped, they will stand around for an hour waiting for it to be done.  I had this big talk with my wife about it.  She says that 1.  they think lighter skin is prettier (Yes, I believe it also has to do with being a peasant)  If you will look at pics from the US during the late 1800 to early 1900's fair skin was considered beautiful because of the same thing.  You did not work in the fields.  Hence the umbrella's on a sunny day.  Same thing here.
2.  The older women (30's above) believe we have this image of them(we usually do)  As perfect oriental women.  So they try to give us that.  Plus they see every other picture is done that way so to compete they feel they have to.  Even our wedding pictures had to be done.  Her skin whitened and the shadows under my eyes taken out. (hadnt much sleep).  To us it feels that we are being scammed, to them it is just what they do and have done as long as there have been programs that can do it. Go back and look at the old time photos of Asian women.  You see the enhancements then also.  So cut them some slack when you are looking at this.  They are not intentionally scamming, they are only doing what they have been taught. They are trying to please you.  We have misconceptions and so do they.

I understand that but sometimes I feel some of the women go too far. There is a difference between changing some with make up and changing majorly with with make up.  
My ex-wife(who was Japanese) looked much better with a little make up on compared to wearing a lot. She tried different ways. The make up lady at a department store in the US put what they thought was the oriental style make up on her and she looked not cool.
What I have found with some of the Japanese women here is that they look better without a ton of make up on and they usually look about the same with it off.

My chinese friends in the states did not wear too much make up, at least as far I saw.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:14:25 am by yoshiii »

Offline JimB

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 01:21:59 am »
My wife never wears makeup nor my step daughter unless she is on a modeling gig.  Most of the women I see here on the street do not wear make up.  Some yes but the majority no.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 03:26:56 am »
have you managed to get your normal  non-photo shopped Photo's from your lady yet?? If you have, was there a vast difference in your perception of her, ...in the way of her looks ??

David....
[/quote]

David50

Remember the photos I sent you.  Perfect example of what miracles the photo shop can do!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Manuel

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 03:49:54 am »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='15067' dateline='1251763277'

So Manuel, no more cupid notes since then? :icon_cheesygrin:

Yeah, you're right! :icon_biggrin:

I moved to passive fish just waiting for admirer letters. Not so many as before but now they come, most of the time, with natural photos
TRADUTTORE, TRADITORE

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 03:53:48 am »

sleep).  To us it feels that we are being scammed, to them it is just what they do and have done as long as there have been programs that can do it. Go back and look at the old time photos of Asian women.  You see the enhancements then also.  So cut them some slack when you are looking at this.  They are not intentionally scamming, they are only doing what they have been taught. They are trying to please you.  We have misconceptions and so do they.

Jim

Up to a point you are right. There is no problem in trying to look your very best when "trawling" for a good Man to be your future husband. There is competition out there and it is normal for any woman to try to get out in front...I would not blame them for that. But that is not what is happening in so many cases we see here. I have heard from many Women that they go to the studio and get their photos done and the next time they see them (if they ever do) is when they are on the profile.

I am sure that many women would not want the level of enhancement that is becoming the normal on CHNLove.

Problem is they then get in a real fix...they KNOW their photos are not real, so when we ask for normal photos they KNOW we are going to see the level of "fraud"...they cant win !!!

I feel sorry for the women in all this because they are only making an honest attempt to attract good Men (apart from the VERY small number of deliberate scammers)....its the Agencies (some) that are leading them down this "slippery slope.

If the Agencies who do this, would stop and get real and restrict their enhancement to simple things like lighting and make-up, there would be no problem

My daughter has a Website Production Business and she use software to tell what percentage of pixels in the photos have been modified from the original (dont ask me how, I can just about use a keyboard, never mind the other mysteries :) )

From 10 photos we examined in this way, from the women profiles, the average modification of pixels was 43.2%...go figure !!!

DavidE

Offline Manuel

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 04:05:19 am »

To us it feels that we are being scammed, to them it is just what they do and have done as long as there have been programs that can do it. Go back and look at the old time photos of Asian women.  You see the enhancements then also.  So cut them some slack when you are looking at this.  They are not intentionally scamming, they are only doing what they have been taught. They are trying to please you.  We have misconceptions and so do they.

Not sure about that because, if they don't want to mislead us, why they put 15 years old photos in their profile???

I've been searching in the 43-48 range and some of them look equal or even better than my stunning 21 years old daughter! :@
TRADUTTORE, TRADITORE

• Board Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 04:31:36 am »
Quote from: 'Manuel' pid='15097' dateline='1251792319'

Not sure about that because, if they don't want to mislead us, why they put 15 years old photos in their profile???

I've been searching in the 43-48 range and some of them look equal or even better than my stunning 21 years old daughter! :@

Its a shop window Manuel.  They want to look their best.  
You do not put old and over ripe fruit to the front of a display!!!
These ladies have got to get your interest first.  You get to know them then the shock of meeting them in person is reduced!!!!!!:angel: Did I really say that!!!!

Willy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:33:48 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JimB

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 04:43:52 am »
You are right some deliberately put the wrong age in.  I cannot tell why some of them dont just send the original type photo. I will say in some cases it is the translator either not telling you asked or telling them not to do this right now because your relationship isnt stable enough, etc..  The translator doesnt want to lose you.  I am not an advocate for the ladies, I just tell you what I have seen and heard.  All I am suggesting is to take all of this into consideration before dropping a woman for not sending you the real pics.  I personally do not like it.  i feel like the rest but learning the culture a little has helped me to see the reasons for some of this.
My wife's pictures were done like this.  Big difference from the pics to the real thing. However, to me it didnt matter.

Offline Danny

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 05:44:58 am »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='14352' dateline='1251309926'

The pale skin thing is weird.

I can remember reading an interesting article about the history of this matter. The preference for white skin is something that has been around for many centuries, and (at least in the first place) doesn't have anything to do with the pernicious influence of the west. At least in relation to this matter, we are blameless *laughs*

So cut them some slack when you are looking at this.  They are not intentionally scamming, they are only doing what they have been taught. They are trying to please you.  We have misconceptions and so do they.

Some (I am not sure what proportion) of the women have the photographs taken by a professional photographer. It's part of the service provided by the agency. They are told this way works. It's like the way we talk amongst ourselves. We often rely on and defer to the judgement of people who seem to know the way to go. I have never really had a heart to heart talk with a Chinese woman. But if they feel things anything like me (an Australian man) sometimes you become so incredibly tired of being alone and you desperately wish to find someone to love, someone to be loved by, for life to change the way in which it is going. I feel a lot of sympathy for someone who resorts to something like this. I know what it is like to look in the mirror and wish for something better. It just doesn't upset me or anything, that they would use photoshop in this way.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:54:32 am by Danny »

David5o

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 06:02:15 am »
Danny's right, pale skin has been the preference for many centuries, even 1000's of years. Pale skin was the distinguishing difference between the aristocracy and the so called peasant classes. ...Guess who had the pale or paler skin?? To some degree, that difference still remains to this day, not only in China, but in most Asian countries....

David.....

• Board Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 08:20:51 am »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='15113' dateline='1251799335'

Danny's right, pale skin has been the preference for many centuries, even 1000's of years. Pale skin was the distinguishing difference between the aristocracy and the so called peasant classes. ...Guess who had the pale or paler skin?? To some degree, that difference still remains to this day, not only in China, but in most Asian countries....

David.....

I will get Xia to read this one.  She takes the piss out of my white legs everynight. She reckons we can save on electricty by getting the street lights reflect of them!!!!!!!  But then I've always said that I am a better class of person and this proves it. !!!!!!!  Keep up the good reseach David I'm all for it.  

Willy

David.....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:22:04 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline ahkiwi

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 08:49:15 am »

David.....

Excellent news, this means I'm at the pinnacle of nobility !

Sorry Willie no street lamps allowed up here, please stand on the footpath.
World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago.

Ali (???)
QQ: 860848209

brett

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 09:25:25 am »
Just seen my girl on Skype, and I am happy to report she looks better than her official studio shots.

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 11:36:47 pm »

David.....

Michael Jackson !!! He is the fairest of them all !!! :icon_cheesygrin: But with Obama in charge opinions may soon change?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:38:30 pm by odysseus007 »
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin: