Author Topic: Getting good translations from Google?  (Read 2127 times)

brett

Getting good translations from Google?
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:13:10 am »
Hi all,

My lady is now using MSN Messenger and we can send each other messages!

I'd quite like to send her some Chinese phrases so she knows I am interested in her language. However, I've found that the Google translator is quite bad at translating phrases. Does anyone know if it is possible to get better translations if you have an understanding of Chinese sentence structure?

My Mandarin course doesn't start until October so any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Scottish_Rob

RE: Getting good translations from Google?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:18:57 am »
I use IM Translation mate try that...:icon_biggrin:
www.IMtranslation.com
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:19:21 am by Scottish_Rob »

Offline Ed W

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:17:28 am »
Brett,
 My wife and I are on QQ daily and I'm constantly stuffing it all through google translate. I've found that it does get better over time since you learn what kind of sentences translate well and which dont. The suggestions I will make are:

Keep your sentence structure simple. not a lot of and's or then's.

Keep your sentences short. As if you were speaking with a small child. The more time she spends having to re-read the translation, the more frustrating it is for her.

Avoid using "but" to join two thoughts in a sentence since often time the meaning of the first thought can be translated as opposite of it's intended meaning.

About every 5 sentences, take the Chinese output and put it back through google and see how it's coming back in english. It'l help you get used to using other words or phrases to get the same point across with less confusion.

Get used to the new bald spot you'll get by scratching your head from the sentences that just dont translate well at all and make no sense. I've seen some really backwards translations that will cause a gasp so don't react too quickly to something that seems really odd or out of place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:20:26 am by Ed W »
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

David5o

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:39:04 am »
As ED has said, best if you use very simple English, childlike even, if you want the google translator to work with any accuracey. If your lady is useing windows messenger, then download ''Tbot 2 Alpha'' it works directly on the IM, ...same thing though, use very simple English, and tell your lady to do the same with her Chinese... you'll find it works much better then....  (Tbot is a windows download, and will sit in your IM contacts window)

As Ed said agian, it'll take a little time getting use to, (and can be a bit of fun too) but eventually you'll get to know what works and what dosn't work

David....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:41:27 am by David5o »

brett

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:35:26 am »
Thanks guys.

Actually my girl's English didn't look too bad, although we have made a rule to talk about important ? on EMF's and unimportant ? on MSN lol.

:idea: I think we will invent a new language using only emoticons.

Offline Mag00

Re: Getting good translations from Google?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:16:18 pm »
Yes, I agree the translation tools available can use a little tweaking.When I mentioned i enjoyed Motorsports and the series I raced in was a family affair.. I did not mean it literally.. I stated that several of the racers brought their wives, GFs and/or kids.. it came out like this...Sorry, just not the call I like to do your wife, also like and a group of friends.. Yikes!!!!!!!!!! :D ;) ;D

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:18:22 pm by Mag00 »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:15 pm »
Now that was funny!

Offline shaun

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 04:58:24 am »
Some things are better left unsaid.  ;D