Author Topic: Time to buy mooncakes: Mid-Autumn Festival  (Read 6172 times)

Offline Chong

RE: Time to buy mooncakes: Mid-Autumn Festival
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 11:44:04 pm »
I would be wary of the street market ones. Chinese bakeries are notorious for keeping last year's unsold Moon Cakes ... they'll cut away the outside pastry shell, freeze the interior paste filling and then re-bake to sell this year. Like anything regarding quality, you get what you pay for.

This happens not only in China but at Chinatowns in North America.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 11:56:27 pm »
Quote from: 'Chong' pid='18343' dateline='1254109444'

I would be wary of the street market ones. Chinese bakeries are notorious for keeping last year's unsold Moon Cakes ... they'll cut away the outside pastry shell, freeze the interior paste filling and then re-bake to sell this year. Like anything regarding quality, you get what you pay for.

This happens not only in China but at Chinatowns in North America.

Perhaps that is the secret of a good Moon cake!!  I will do my celebrations in Londons China Town - Soho/Leicester Square.

I will recuperate in London for ten days from a really busy and strenuous three months in China and prepare for the next few years here.  Maybe not using so much energy in future!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

brett

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:49:04 am »
I bought a mooncake in London's chinatown at the weekend. Wow, £2.50 for a single cake, it had better be most excellent!

The lanterns in chinatown are lovely, it would be nice to go there in the evening.

Offline Danny

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 05:38:46 am »
In Zhuhai and Wuhan there were Mooncakes just everywhere. In the shopping malls and all the hotels.

They're expensive too. Around 200 yuan for four seemed to be about the average price for average quality.

I saw some big boxes of them for more than 2,000 yuan - I suppose they are for rich guys to show off.

It's good to visit China sometimes to see that there is some basis for the stuff you see on chnlove. When I first saw the advertisement on chnlove I thought, "Yeah, right .  . . "

But back from China, I accept that it is a big deal now.

It's like their national day. The way it is celebrated there is a whole lot different to the way the corresponding holiday is celebrated here in Australia. In Australia, our national day is just a day off work, a good day to have a picnic with the family in the park. But in China, it's something a lot of ordinary people are really looking forward to. There were Chinese flags in most places, even in the markets, in Zhuhai and Wuhan. But not as many in Hong Kong I thought.

My YaYa (from Wuhan) is looking forward to their national day. She is teaching extra classes on the weekend to make up for the days the students will miss when her students are on holiday.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:39:50 am by Danny »

brett

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 06:05:55 am »
Yes, mid-Autumn is a big thing in China (2nd only after new year). This year is especially important and my beloved gets a day off for national day. Apparently she is wearing special clothes for the day, and promised to send me photos :angel:!

It was great to be in Hong Kong for mid-Autumn as they had a fireworks display in the harbour.

You can buy elaborate tins of mooncakes for the important people in your life. My girl is getting some from her boss.

We don't really celebrate our national day in England, and don't get a day off which is crazy and sad. So I will celebrate China day instead!

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 12:25:01 pm »
Well, it turns out one of Lings friends, friends cousin is a nurse training in Ireland would you believe it, small world eh?!
They have decided i should meet up with her so I am doing that this Saturday to celebrate the lunar festival with her and her friends, how cool is that :D
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 01:09:16 pm »
Great news Ronan, now be a good boy, you know what ever you do will be back to Ling by tonight, tomorrow morning at the latest, be polite, don'y drink to many beers ( you can have more after you get home ) and don't stain your shirt, but other then that, have a great time :icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:10:27 pm by MLM »
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 01:20:04 pm »
Haha, I am fully aware if i make a show of myself that it will be reported back before my laowai ass hits this computer chair again :)
I'm just thinking of home cooked dumplings in Ireland nyom nyom! She's quite pretty apparently and her friend tells me I better behave myself haha!!, so i guess the drink is out unfortunately :icon_twisted: Oh, nurse..i have a temperature and a throbbing....
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »
:icon_cheesygrin: ROFLMFAO :icon_cheesygrin:
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 02:22:51 pm »
ROFLMAO hahahahahhaa...RONAN !!!!!...hahhaha:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Vince G

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 11:29:34 pm »
DId Irish get into Willy's stash?

Paul Todd

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 04:33:13 am »
The Stories of the Chinese Mid Autumn Festival

I. The Lady - Chang Er

The time of this story is around 2170 B.C. The earth once had ten suns circling over it, each took its turn to illuminate to the earth. But one day all ten suns appeared together, scorching the earth with their heat. The earth was saved by a strong and tyrannical archer Hou Yi. He succeeded in shooting down nine of the suns. One day, Hou Yi stole the elixir of life from a goddess. However his beautiful wife Chang Er drank the elixir of life in order to save the people from her husband's tyrannical rule. After drinking it, she found herself floating and flew to the moon. Hou Yi loved his divinely beautiful wife so much, he didn't shoot down the moon.

Note: Chang'e 1 Lunar orbiter was launched to the moon on October 24, 2007. The Chang'e moon satellite, named after Chang Er, will take 3-D images of the moon surface for yearlong. This is the groundwork for the next Lunar Lander (Chang'e  2) project in 2012 , Lunar Sample Return (Chang'e 3) in 2017 and Chinese astronaut on the moon project.

II. The Man - Wu Kang

Wu Kang was a shiftless fellow who changed apprenticeships all the time. One day he decided that he wanted to be an immortal. Wu Kang then went to live in the mountains where he importuned an immortal to teach him. First the immortal taught him about the herbs used to cure sickness, but after three days his characteristic restlessness returned and he asked the immortal to teach him something else. So the immortal to teach him chess, but after a short while Wu Kang's enthusiasm again waned. Then Wu Kang was given the books of immortality to study. Of course, Wu Kang became bored within a few days, and asked if they could travel to some new and exciting place. Angered with Wu Kang's impatience, the master banished Wu Kang to the Moon Palace telling him that he must cut down a huge cassia tree before he could return to earth. Though Wu Kang chopped day and night, the magical tree restored itself with each blow, and thus he is up there chopping still.

III. The Hare - Jade Rabbit

In this legend, three fairy sages transformed themselves into pitiful old men and begged for something to eat from a fox, a monkey and a rabbit. The fox and the monkey both had food to give to the old men, but the rabbit, empty-handed, offered his own flesh instead, jumping into a blazing fire to cook himself. The sages were so touched by the rabbit's sacrifice that they let him live in the Moon Palace where he became the "Jade Rabbit."

IV. The Cake - Moon Cake

During the Yuan dynasty (A.D.1280-1368) China was ruled by the Mongolian people. Leaders from the preceding Sung dynasty (A.D.960-1280) were unhappy at submitting to foreign rule, and set how to coordinate the rebellion without it being discovered. The leaders of the rebellion, knowing that the Moon Festival was drawing near, ordered the making of special cakes. Backed into each moon cake was a message with the outline of the attack. On the night of the Moon Festival, the rebels successfully attacked and overthrew the government. What followed was the establishment of the Ming dynasty (A.D. 1368-1644). Today, moon cakes are eaten to commemorate this legend.

brett

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 05:42:05 am »
I am sad because this year I have to eat my mooncake by myself :s. But my lady has sent me new pictures of her and they are sensational. I am the luckiest man alive :icon_cheesygrin:.

Offline Chong

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 10:31:32 pm »
[attachment=803][attachment=800][attachment=801][attachment=802]Observations on Autumn Moon Festival Week ...

1) Most locals here in Kaiping, Southern China received coupons from their employers to redeem Moon Cakes from the hotels or bakeries. My fiancee's boss handed out 100 containers of Moon Cakes to his employees & clients. With so many Moon Cakes received, if you don't eat them right away, tiny microscopic worms will grow within/ pass the expiry date. My sister in Toronto mentioned that many bakeries started 1/2 price sales on Oct 3rd.

2) The most prized Moon Cakes comes in a box of 'Eight' with individual containers. These are the ones placed during the 'offerings to the heavens'. To make a good impression to your lady's family, buy these ... though they're the most expensive @ 388 RMB.

3) The 'Offerings' include the box of 8 Moon Cakes [ symboling seven stars accompanying the moon ], fruits, a piece of roasted pork, incense sticks & paper money.

4) You can tell a good Moon Cake by how the outside pastry shells attaches itself to the inner paste. If it's too flaky, it's poorly made or old. It has to look picture perfect ... much like a magazine photo advertisement.

5) Most Kaiping residents celebrate the night by having an outdoor BBQ. Instead of the Western large BBQ where one person cooks, individuals cook their own meat ( much like roasting single marshmallows ) ... but they share with others.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:50:36 pm by Chong »

Offline Norb Smith

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 10:37:12 pm »
Hey King Chong no fair squatting with a stool for support.......lol
To have good neighbors, you need to be a good neighbor