Author Topic: Cheap Flights  (Read 15950 times)

David5o

RE: Cheap Flights
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2010, 10:26:24 am »
Dave C,

You mentioned 29 hrs in a previous post?? Does the remaining time account for the Paris stopover?? If it does, ....change your flight plans friend, that sort of layover time is for the mugs of this world ....Don't do it, ....you'll be recked by the time you get there!!!!

Go the right way round, the shortest distance is ALWAYS the best way!!!

David...

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2010, 11:34:52 am »
Dave,

That area isn't bad.  There are many hospitals in that area.  If your daughters love electronics, then you're in the right area.  There's a mall near there that only sells electronics/computer related things (Sim Lim Square).  There is another called Funan Centre, but it's further out.

Now, as to why I was concerned, after my first post, I remembered there is an area where the hotels could be cheap... It's in an area called Geylang.  Very well know area for two things... cheap but good food and lots of mainland chinese hostesses.  Not that you'd be interested in the second, but it does add an interesting factor into this.

BTW, some things you might like when you're there...

1) Go to Sentosa (resort island...sorta) and watch the water show there.  A little cheesy, but quite nice actually.  I went a few years ago...had to buy tickets 2 hours in advance (but it gave time to get some food).

2) If you like to chill, Clarke Quay.  Foods a bit more upscale, but sitting by the river and watching the people walk by is quite relaxing.

3) For good food, I prefer the Old Airport Road Hawker Centre.  Good oyster omlettes (oh-ah-jian) and rojak (a crunchy SEA salad).

Lots of other things to see and food to try...
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='30535' dateline='1265469984'

Dave C,

You mentioned 29 hrs in a previous post?? Does the remaining time account for the Paris stopover?? If it does, ....change your flight plans friend, that sort of layover time is for the mugs of this world ....Don't do it, ....you'll be recked by the time you get there!!!!

David...

Come to think of it, North West out of Detroit should be a much shorter route...I think one of my cousins used them (either that or Delta)...was only about...20 hours or so with a stop either in Narita or HK (Go for HK if at all possible).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 11:36:52 am by mustfocus »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2010, 11:39:07 am »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='30535' dateline='1265469984'

Dave C,

David...

Actually, I think it is 31 or 32 hours. It was a long stop over in Paris. I will be a wreck no matter what I do, I think. My dad suggested something to help me sleep, but you can't even bring gum into Singapore let alone drugs. There is a long list of common drugs to not bring into Singapore. I know that prescription drugs are ok and that you only need them in the original bottle. I just figured that it is best to not bring anything at all. It has been a long time since I have had to stay awake more than 24 hours.

I have not finalised any plans yet. This is why I am here looking for any good advise. There is plenty. I was just giving my experience on searching out airfares. When I book my flight I will decide then which to take. Truthfully, I would rather fly westward. But I don't mind making it more convenient for my lady. She says she works almost every day and the best time  for her to get some time from her work to meet me is friday afternoon or early evening. BTW found a flight that goes westward but has almost a full day stopover in Tokyo.
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2010, 11:49:28 am »
Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='30541' dateline='1265474347'

Actually, I think it is 31 or 32 hours. It was a long stop over in Paris. I will be a wreck no matter what I do, I think. My dad suggested something to help me sleep, but you can't even bring gum into Singapore let alone drugs. There is a long list of common drugs to not bring into Singapore. I know that prescription drugs are ok and that you only need them in the original bottle. I just figured that it is best to not bring anything at all. It has been a long time since I have had to stay awake more than 24 hours.

I have not finalised any plans yet. This is why I am here looking for any good advise. There is plenty. I was just giving my experience on searching out airfares. When I book my flight I will decide then which to take. Truthfully, I would rather fly westward. But I don't mind making it more convenient for my lady. She says she works almost every day and the best time  for her to get some time from her work to meet me is friday afternoon or early evening. BTW found a flight that goes westward but has almost a full day stopover in Tokyo.

Dave,

Definitely go westward.  You'll cut so many hours off your trip.  Definitely consider Tour East (I don't think they have a Windor office, but www.toureast.com should be good as well).

There is a misconception that you can't bring gum... you can bring a small amount for personal use (just dispose of it properly...if you spit it out on a sidewalk then you'll be in trouble).  I usually have 2 or 3 packs of gum with me...  If you're looking for sleep, consider using gravol.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2010, 12:05:30 pm »
Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='30542' dateline='1265474968'

Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='30541' dateline='1265474347'

Dave,

Definitely go westward.  You'll cut so many hours off your trip.  Definitely consider Tour East (I don't think they have a Windor office, but www.toureast.com should be good as well).

There is a misconception that you can't bring gum... you can bring a small amount for personal use (just dispose of it properly...if you spit it out on a sidewalk then you'll be in trouble).  I usually have 2 or 3 packs of gum with me...  If you're looking for sleep, consider using gravol.

I hope that is ok! I always fly with some gum. I was dreading not being able to bring some more than the drugs! I thought of the gravol as well as other stuff. I figured to just dispose of any extra down the plane toilet. I will check out the links later today.

Thanks for all the advise.

Dave
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2010, 03:08:52 pm »
You don't need to dispose of it in the toilet, but I wouldn't carry more than one blisterpack (those tinfoil thingies).  I don't bring large amounts of gum either (ie: no Costco pack).  But if you bring 2 or 3, that's fine.  Like I said, dispose of that properly (in a wrapper or whatever and put in a garbage bin) and you're good.  Although to be honest, I've never chewed it in front of any police.

You'll be fine there, just stay calm and confident.  And keep in touch with us here if you need help.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

ttwjr32

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »
i have never been to Singapore but the comments about the gum
is very interesting. pretty steep fines for the unproper disposal of
the gum?

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2010, 07:48:51 pm »
Just got a notification from priceline.com in my e-mail on a fare from Detroit to Singapore,......$7494 US???? Thats supposed to be a deal?

Dave

ttwjr32

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2010, 08:29:26 pm »
maybe you get steak dinners a massage and champagne    hahahaha

would be a good price in philipine pesos   hahahaha

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2010, 11:10:09 pm »
Littering in general is not welcome in Singapore.  Gum is nasty to get rid of so they pretty much banned it in Singapore.  Although in recent years they have allowed medical gum back into the country.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

shaun

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2010, 11:36:52 pm »
:icon_eek: Eek!!!

The prices of the flights to Hong Kong had been going down, now they are up almost $250.00.  I am just under 8 weeks out.  I hope they go down again.

Shaun :@:dodgy::icon_cry:

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2010, 05:28:32 am »
It is probably because of new years.

ttwjr32

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:12 am »
did you book yet Shaun? i read were the airlines lost a ton of money the last few
quarters and prices are going up so 8 weeks out isnt to long and you might hit that
big spike when you book. just an idea :-/

David5o

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2010, 12:26:43 pm »
Ted,

You don't get bums on seats by increasing your airfares, ...you lower them, the more bums on seats the better your income.... and at the very least cover your operating costs....!!

The reason for the high flight costs right now to china is because of the Chinese New Year, Two or three weeks after the holiday, the prices will drop, like they always do....

David....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:29:23 pm by David5o »

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:28 pm »
I am hoping that it is the holiday. This is why I am waiting to book my seat in a couple weeks.

Dave C