Author Topic: Need Hong Kong info  (Read 3956 times)

David5o

RE: Need Hong Kong info
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 07:41:47 am »
Don,

Looks like you have all the information you need now. Chongs information is better and far more uptodate than mine, and he seems to even know bus numbers too, which i never did, even when living there!! ..haha!!

What i will say is, if you want to save money, don't eat in the hotel, there are a multitude of eating places of every type and description outside. The other thing is, there are very very few hotels in HK that you could come close to being called ''dumpy''. The star rating on HK hotels normally exceed similar rated hotels in the West.

As i said before, you are never very far from anything in HK. As Chong suggested, use the MTR for moving around in HK, it's the quickest and most convenient means of travel, roads can get very congested and therefore expensive if traveling by taxi. Chong's right, they have pre-paid multiple use travel cards, that you can purchase almost anywhere, as well as the MTR stations themselves.  

Enjoy your stay.....

David.....

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 11:52:31 am »
Thanks immensely for the help. Usually I am in a sort of panic mode before I go on a trip. Harbour Grand Hong Kong is nice but more than $200 USD. Metropark hotel Kowloon  about $100 USD seems like the best for my budget as I only want to stay for 2 nights. My cousin says he can get a deal for any hotel when he buys his tickets in NYC so he asked me which hotel I want. I haven;t a clue until posting here.

I'll check out that tripadvisor.com site for reserving a hotel also on the way back. Did you guys reserve a hotel via the Internet on the way back? Can the hotel match these Internet rates when you are there in person rather than pay the rack rates?

Arnold

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:15 pm »
Might as well tell where Qing and I were staying . It was on Hong Kong Island ( the other side of the Tunnels from Kowloon ) at the GDH ( Guangdong Hotel ) where I thought the prices were kind of strange . 1st night : 1140 HK $ 2nd : 620 HK $ 3rd : 420 HK $ . That's when I told Qing we might as well stay another night it's FREE . Haha
But it is on the side of the Harbour , that takes you up to the Peak and also many shopping Center's , the old Trollie's that take you across the Island for 2 HK $ . The Room was nice , but the Breakfast was not good ( which was included ) . Only one Chef and if busy you wait for your Egg / Eggs and by the time you get them the rest is cold . We walked quite a bit and got most of our shopping done by foot , including Qing's birthday gift . Like Chong said , if you going to GuangZhou .. go to the Hung Hom Train Station and it will take you to GZ direct with out stopping in ShenZhen for Customs , as this is done at the Train Station in Hung Hom . Was a very nice and comfortable Trip .
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:50:41 pm by Arnold »

brett

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 05:54:14 am »
I stayed at the Cosmopolitan (or it may have been the Cosmo next door) on Hong Kong island. Both are pretty good. They're a bit of a walk to the MTR station at Wan Chai, but it's an interesting neighbourhood.

I didn't find many people that spoke English though. Although the buses take Octopus cards so you don't really need to speak to anyone.

You can get an Octopus card at Hong Kong airport.