Author Topic: Need Hong Kong info  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Oiler1

Need Hong Kong info
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:56:27 pm »
Hi all,

I am going to arrive in Hong Kong on October 20th before going to China maybe the next day or 2. Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel in Hong Kong? I heard it will be expensive in October as there is a convention going on there. I checked the Internet and the prices range from $43 to $500 a night.

I want to stay is a nice safe comfortable place maybe under $100. The Mong Kok district is the cheapest but I have no idea where that is in relation to transportation to China.

Cn someone help?

Thanks,

Don
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:56:46 pm by Oiler1 »

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
RE: Need Hong Kong info
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:31:02 pm »
Hi Don, sorry, I can not really help you because I've never been there ;)
however, best price doesn't mean best quality, and same for high prices... just try to find something that could really be cumfortable for you,
Btw, 43$ for a 2 stars? or not at all?
- Let's Rock -

David5o

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:35:52 pm »
Don,

Mongkok, is towards the western side of Kowloon. Plenty of shops and close to several MTR stations. It's around 20 to 30 minutes from the new airport, and close to all the hot spots you would want. No where in HK is very far from anywhere. Check out the hotels on the net, Most hotels from 3 star up are more than adequate for your needs, you just need to check prices... There are some great day and also night markets around that area. I lived and worked in HK and not a million miles from Mongkok either, but alas that was a long time ago now, and i probably wouldn't recognise most of it now. What i can tell you, is that you can fill that one or two days up with absolutly no problem at all.  Far too much going on in HK to tell all here, get on the net and see for yourself...haha!!

David....

PS....
The MTR (underground railway) goes to the airport, as well as everywhere else you would want to go in your 1 or 2 days, and it's a cheap mode of travel .... i should know, i helped build the thing!! ...hahaha!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:33:32 pm by David5o »

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 04:49:45 pm »
Thanks for the info David and Sylvain. I may as well book one night in a cheap hotel provided it is not a dump and is safe and quiet. My main destination is China and I can always go to Hong Kong and shop on the way back. The cheapest way is to book via the Internet. I did a Google and found several sites. I have no idea if they are reliable but I hope they are. $43 is too cheap as the room is tiny and the place is noisy(at least that's what the reviewers say). I heard it was a 4 hour trip by bus to China. Can I book within one days notice?

David5o

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 04:57:38 pm »
Don,

Mongkok is also a mainline Train station link to China, never been to China on the train, but may be worth checking out if it goes anywhere near where you want to go. Also, don't forget the multitude of ferry crossings from HK to China.

I think you need to do a bit of heavy investigation work now, to see what you can and can't do from HK!!

Good Luck...

David....

Offline Danny

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:03:13 pm »
Lonely Planet have a good guide to Hong Kong. That's what I am using. It's great bedtime reading. Really if you are spending all that money on air fares, spending 20 dollars on a travel guide is money well spent. It's much better to have a guide and map with you, in a book, in case you need to make changes to your plans when you are over there. I would not rely on the web or even this forum for making detailed holiday plans. I would use this place for advice about making your relationship work and a travel guide book for the getting around. For example, I got a suggestion from here to take the ferry from Hong Kong to Zhuhai. But though I did a lot of searching on the web, I couldn't find out exactly where in Hong Kong I catch the ferry until I had the Lonely Planet guide and map - I discovered that there are at least three different places in Hong Kong where you can catch a ferry to Zhuhai. Anyhow, have fun.

Danny
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:04:54 pm by Danny »

Offline maxx

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:46:08 pm »
Danny Macau ferry terminal,Hong Kong ferry terminal,Or at the Airport.It all depends on what time of day your flight lands.If your flight lands after 5:00 pm. your going to have to go to the Macau ferry terminal.If your flight lands before 5:00 pm you can use the ferry terminal at the airport.Or Hong Kong ferry terminal.It all depends on how long you want to wate for the next ferry.

Macau ferry terminal runs ferries to Zhuhai till 9:30 at night.Chu Kong passenger transport is the ferry company you will want at the Macau ferry terminal.They are on the third floor.Don't forget to get some Hong Kong money.They won't take Rmb.Or Aussie money.

Airport quits running ferries at about 6:00 I think.Hong Kong ferry teminal last ferry to Zhuhai.Is 7:30 pm.

Hope that helps as much as your book.Oh I almost forgot about your book.Check the copywrite date.I have bought thoose kind of  books before.And the information has ben out of date.So that is something else to watch for.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:47:54 pm by maxx »

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:52:13 pm »
If you are headed to Guangzhou from HK I would take the train. Its very fast comfortable and cheap and frequent too from what i recall.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Chong

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 10:01:01 pm »
Don,

I stayed at the Metro Park Hotel for one night in August. Price was 940 HK dollars plus a 10% service charge ... so about $ 125 Cdn. It was the cheapest I could find on the day I arrived and it's a 4 star hotel. It's located in the heart of Mong Kok. You can google "Metro Park Hotel Mongkok" to see what it looks like.

The bus # A21 from the airport drops you off right in front of the hotel. It cost 38 HK dollars and takes about 45 minutes ... non-stop. :icon_cool: Don't take the hotel shuttles, they cost 115 HK dollars for basically the same trip.

Depending on where you want to go, there's a China Provincial Bus Station right around the corner from the hotel. It's called The Motor Transport Company of Guangdong and Hong Kong Ltd. I went to Kaiping ( 3.5 hours away ) for 120 HK dollars. I would go early to buy the ticket. I had to stay overnight in Hong Kong because they were sold out by 2 pm. Mind you, it was a Sunday when it's the busiest. At Shenzhen where you have to clear China Customs & Immigration, you have a 20-25 minute window frame to catch back your bus on the other side of the border.

There's also the train station at the "Hung Hom" MTR Station in Kowloon. I took it before to go to Guangzhou for about 130 HK dollars. From that train station, you can go to almost anywhere in China, even Beijing and Shanghai, abeit it's a 19 hour train ride.

Best to ask the concierge at the hotel for all directions and inquiries.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:12:04 pm by Chong »

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 10:08:49 pm »
Quote from: 'Chong' pid='16657' dateline='1252980061'
Don,

I stayed at the Metro Park Hotel for one night in August. Price was 940 HK dollars plus a 10% service charge ... so about $ 125 Cdn. It was the cheapest I could find and it's a 4 star hotel. It's located in the heart of Mon Kok. You can google "Metro Park Hotel Mongkok" to see what it looks like.

The bus # A21 from the airport drops you off right in front of the hotel. It cost 38 HK dollars and takes about 45 minutes ... non-stop. :icon_cool: Don't take the hotel shuttles, they cost 115 HK dollars for basically the same trip.

Depending on where you want to go, there's a China Provincial Bus Station right around the corner from the hotel. It's called The Motor Transport Company of Guangdong and Hong Kong Ltd. I went to Kaiping ( 3.5 hours away ) for 120 HK dollars. I would go early to buy the ticket. I had to stay overnight in Hong Kong because they were sold out by 2 pm. Mind you, it was a Sunday when it's the busiest.

There's also the train station at the "Hung Hom" MTR Station in Kowloon. I took it before to go to Guangzhou for about 130 HK dollars. From that train station, you can go to almost anywhere in China, even Beijing and Shanghai, abeit it's a 19 hour train ride.

Best to ask the concierge at the hotel for all directions and inquiries.

Hey Chong,

Thanks for the advice. I will reserve at the Metro park hotel. I will take the A21 bus to the hotel like you said. Since I don't speak much Cantonese I think it will be nno trouble in Hong Kong as a lot of people speak English right?

That's a great idea. I am meeting my cousin who is going to accompany me. He asked which hotel I prefer as I will meet him at the hotel. He is coming in from New York and I am coming in from Canada at the same day.

I will suggest the Metropark. from what people tell me the Mongkok district has all the amenities? I just hope the hotel is a safe and quiet one and not dumpy. It is 4 stars whatever that means in HK?

I am going to stay 2 nights so I can recover a bit from the long flight and then go to Shenzhen. I am going to spend about 3 weeks in China.

Don
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:10:55 pm by Oiler1 »

Offline Chong

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 10:33:50 pm »
Don,

The Bus Driver & most cabbies speak English. Be aware that the "Green" Taxis service Kowloon and the "Red" Taxis service Hong Kong Island. But I prefer using the MTR, it's very convienent and fast. The method of fare payment is ... you pay where you want to go, then you get an enter & return trip stub. I don't know what to do if you want to make multiple trips. I noticed some people with automatic passes, maybe you can purchase one at the supermarkets where they sell them. I believe that you deposit a certain amount of fare in advance ... to save you from using loose change.

The street markets are very close by the Metro Park Hotel. You can walk around the Bird, the Flower, the Pet Fish and the Clothing Markets. If you book ahead of time using the discount hotel booking sites, perhaps you can save a bit of money off the regular rate. The hotel is very clean. They even bring you a fruit plate upon arrival.

Yes, that bus station to Shenzhen is right around the corner from the hotel. Ask the concierge for directions. Have a great trip.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:35:18 pm by Chong »

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 11:03:45 pm »
I was reading the reviews of Metropark hotel in Mongkok. There is also one of the same name in Kowloon which seems to have a bit  better reviews.

I have to share the room with my cousin so is it comfortable for 2 people? I require a quite room that has good AC and comfortable beds.

I have to make up my mind in 2-3 days. I think I will look for that Lonely Planet book as well.

Did you book through the Agoda website? Booking via the Internet is cheaper right?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:04:05 pm by Oiler1 »

Offline Danny

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 04:25:42 am »
Quote from: 'Oiler1' pid='16661' dateline='1252983825'

Did you book through the Agoda website? Booking via the Internet is cheaper right?

Oiler, yes it is. I suggest using the trip advisor website:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

The good thing about this site is that you can get quotes from like ten different websites with the click of a mouse. When you have ten independent quotes you can be sure you're getting a pretty good deal. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk telling you to get a travel guide. I was just worried that if you didn't have the information in your hand, away from a computer, you might get stuck if you don't have access to a computer.

Maxx, thanks for the advice. Yes I've checked the ferry company websites to check the times they come. I leave for Zhuhai tomorrow night. If it works out, I owe you a lot of thanks. And if it does, I probably still do . . . I know in whatever relationship I have, the two rules are going to save me from a whole lot of grief.

Offline Chong

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 04:45:40 am »
Quote from: 'Oiler1' pid='16661' dateline='1252983825'

I was reading the reviews of Metropark hotel in Mongkok. There is also one of the same name in Kowloon which seems to have a bit  better reviews.

I believe that you want the one in Kowloon which is also called the Metro Park Hotel Mongkok as you mentioned. Anyhow, the address is located on Lai Chi Kok Road ... 852-2397-6683.

No, I didn't book through the Internet. I didn't know at the time that I had to stay overnight in HK.

Yes to AC ... I had a comfortable Queen bed ... with your cousin, you'll want to request two singles during your reservation booking.

Oh the Cross-Boundary Coach Terminal is located on Portland Street which intersects with Lai Chi Kok Road ... but confirm with the concierge.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:47:04 am by Chong »

Offline Nad

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 06:53:55 am »
Quote from: 'Oiler1' pid='16611' dateline='1252954587'

Hi all,

I am going to arrive in Hong Kong on October 20th before going to China maybe the next day or 2. Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel in Hong Kong? I heard it will be expensive in October as there is a convention going on there. I checked the Internet and the prices range from $43 to $500 a night.

I want to stay is a nice safe comfortable place maybe under $100. The Mong Kok district is the cheapest but I have no idea where that is in relation to transportation to China.

Cn someone help?

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don,
I am going to be in Hong Kong and staying at the Harbour Grand Hong Kong.  It is situated close to the (MTR) Also close to shopping district as well. It is 5 star rating Harbour views with internet access. Cost Was online 1408 HKD$ Good luck From NAD