Author Topic: Need cell phone advice  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Oiler1

Need cell phone advice
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:12:01 pm »
I am not up on the newest technology so I thought I'd ask here. I am looking for a modestly prices cell phone or communication  device that I can use for emergencies or convenience when I am in China or other countries.

I know that basically I need an unlocked GSM cell phone.  There are others like smart phones but I don;t know if I need to pay for all the other features except maybe if it is built for the future then I would pay a bit more.

Can some one help with some advice? How much does it cost to buy a SIM card from China mobile? Also how can I make cheap calls back home to Canada from China in case of Emergency?

Thx

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
RE: Need cell phone advice
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:40:10 pm »
A China Mobile SIM cost me 100RMB last time, loads of local time on it too. For international, maybe Skypeout from a Laptop would be an option?
Go deep or don't go

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:05:59 am »
Oiler you can buy phone cards to use on the public phones over there, the airport will have several stalls selling them. The public phones there do NOT accept cash, at least they don't in Beijing, Tianjin and Guangzhou from my own experience.

Your girl can get you a sim card to use on your western phone if it supports the Chinese signal bands, not all do. I have have an all singing all dancing HTC phone that works everywhere. Only problem with a western phone is that it wont be able to display Chinese characters. I found it extremely useful to get one that did - several times i got lost or needed help and I just got my girl to text me the place in Chinese i was trying to get to and i could show it to a passer by or taxi driver. Got me out of a jam more than once let me tell you.
So i used my HTC phone in the end for its gps and translation software i installed and got a small China Mobile phone. She helped me with that, if you are not resident its a pain in the ass to get a sim card there unless you get one from a street vendor and they dont speak English in my experience.

For 400RMB my girl got me a nice little flip phone that came with a sim card on it that had 100RMB credit and could have its language switched to English , but still of course displayed the Chinese characters. I highly recommend this route.

The only other suggestion i have is this make sure there are credits left on it before you go..the package she got me was 26RMB a month subscription (under three euro a month ) but I called home a couple of times and the credit got used up quick so when i got back three months later the card was cancelled and they wouldn't give me a new one as it was issued in a different area (got the sim card in Guangzhou first visit and second visit was to Tianjin), a major pain in the ass.
In the end my girl just got me another sim from a street vendor, problem solved. I topped it up with another 100RMB before leaving so it will be fine for about another four months before getting cancelled..and I'll be back before then !
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline heckerd

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:02:01 pm »
Your unlocked GSM phone will work fine. SIM will vary in prices depending on the phone number you choose. The luckier the numbers the more it cost. All numbers are connected by area so if you go out of the area phone calls will be charge at a different price. The plan you sign up for varies as some does not cost you anything if you answer a phone call in the area others charge you by send and receive call.

You will get unkown txt messages to reply or call a certain number when you have a cell phone in China. Don't do it its a scam.